Echo skill turning on devices at random times

I’m getting similar random light activity with Hunches and Guard turned off

1 Like

Does the Event Log indicate it is produced by the Amazon Echo Skill?

I agree which ever light turned on go to the events for that device and capture like I did above but do it before you make any requests to turn it off. my events above are skewed since I woke up to my wife complaining and me shouted to alexa to turn it off before looking

I know this is an older thread, however has anyone found a fix? Alexa keeps on randomly dimming lights around my house.

Disable “Hunches” in the Alexa app on your mobile phone. Also look to see if any Alexa “Routines” were automagically added.

1 Like

Hunches are off and I am still running into issues. Very annoying.

Are you sure it is Alexa doing it?
Show a screenshot of the "Events" tab from one of the effected devices, during the time of the issue.

I don’t know why Amazon Echo Skill is the triggering app. I am using a simple automation rule that turns on the light when I open the door.

Its not, it is being triggered, as in, the state of the device changed, the Amazon app was subscribed, and thus notified of that change.

Produced By is the column you are looking for, that tells you what caused the action.

If you get a full screenshot from a larger screen I could make more sense out of it.

Here you go.

That single entry is just saying the device reported to the hub that it was set to 11%, does not tell you how exactly.

Need to see the entry right before that to see if something called the on or setLevel commands.

That shows Alexa called the set level which resulted in the 100%, I assume that was you requesting it, after the level was set to 11% (since you showed the 11% above)? The events go top down newest to oldest, so if you want to see what triggered the 11% it would be BELOW the actual event.

If it is Alexa, there is also a Guard feature which if enabled there is a mode where it simulates that someone is home. That and hunches are the only two ways it would trigger something on its own.

It looks like it was not Alexa. BTW Thanks for looking at this.

That seems to indicate that setLevel command was called directly from the device page. Even if it was a dashboard it would list the dashboard there. The "Produced By" logic is not perfect though, as the devs said, but I have had good luck with it.

It would be much better if I could see the entire thing with multiple lines and the time stamps from a larger screen.

Here is more detail. Different light, same issue. Thanks.

I see lots of the command-on being called but no ON events, was it already on that entire time?

I assume the issue is the level being set to 6%?
According to this, it was not issued from the hub, it says physical but it could also be any other external source. What type of device is this and what type/driver are you using for it?

I would be curious what all those "lastActivity" updates are from, possibly the device reporting it is on multiple times.

Still having an issue. This is a Zooz Zen72 Dimmer. I am also having the same issue with Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN. In this case, I ran a motion and mode app to turn off lights if no motion. For some reason the light turned on, off, and back on.

Which device are you showing here and what driver is it using? I would use my custom driver for the ZEN72: [DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

I broke this down a little for you

1. Device was commanded off from Amazon, device turned off
  2. Device was commanded off from the Room Lights app, (device was already off). Then device turned back on, then off, then on again. Not sure why, no commands were issued so it appears the device did this on its own or from physical taps on the paddle.
  3. Amazon commanded off twice, device turned off.