Easiest Garage Door Opener - Zigbee

I have been wanting to add the ability to open and close my Garage door remotely, but have not wanted to spend too much money and wanted something simple that works.

Here's my simple solution. A Zigbee Fingerbot using the Tuya Fingerbot Driver by @kkossev and a spare remote fob.

I have a Sonoff contact sensor on the door to let me know if it is open or closed as well as a camera in the garage if I need to visually check the door remotely.

I hope this helps someone else :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tim

18 Likes

Genius! They are out right now.
Beware of Bluetooth look-alikes!

1 Like

An MhCozy 2 channel relay is $20ish and can be installed in 5 minutes. Using the ZooZ garage door app you can then use any sensor you want.

Personally I've gone through 3 failing ZooZ Zen17's before I smartened up and stopped using them, the relay side anyway. I still have the Zen17 up and using the 'sensor' side for wired contact sensors. Been solid for about 7 months now

1 Like

I just got my Fingerbot.
What down % did you set yours at, if I may ask?
edit: It looks like 70% will do it for my setup.

I had to play with it to get it right. 84% for me. I'm using it to turn on my printer that lives in the basement. The main thing for me was it needed to push the button without lifting itself off the adhesive that is holding it to the printer.

1 Like

Mine is flush to the switch, is pretty rigid with the cable ties, and the button it's pushing is a short push.

Didn't see this when it was first posted. Pure genius, I really love the simplicity.

But - I cannot have a Fingerbot in my house...first time my wife see's it she'll be looking for ways to strap one to my back to remotely poke at me.

8 Likes

I haven't followed this concept beyond the Kickstarter for the same....I sure hope Tuya owns the rights to this or is otherwise compensating the original inventor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?ref=nav_search&term=fingerbot

Tuya does not make devices, they just provide the software and tools for the hardware to communicate over wifi or Zigbee.

But your point is the same either way, whatever brand these are being sold under at Ali/eBay is probably coming from the same factory the original developer partnered with and confidentially shared their designs with. Sadly the original inventor is likely not being compensated for all the knock-offs. This happens with virtually all products made in certain countries, there is just no enforcement of patents and copyrights.

2 Likes
1 Like