Dry contact relay?

Hi I need a dual channel (dry contacts) relay. Can be powered via 240v Ac or 24 Ac . I have a hubitat hub and Amazon echo . The application is to open/close (one channel) and stop (second channel) a gate opener so only need a single pulse output Any help would be appreciated

A Fibaro Smart Implant (FGBS-222) would do it. It has two inputs and 2 outputs. (You could use the inputs to monitor the open/close status of the gate or use them to send the gate open) You would however need a small power supply as it works at 9-30V DC.

PS: It's always helpful on here if you let the community know where in the world you are. Some devices are not available in certain regions (there's a lot of recommendations for Zoos, Inovelli, and Lutron that aren't widely available in the UK)

2 Likes

Fibaro smart implant

2 Likes

Shelly 2.5 has been perfect. Pleasantly surprised by this WiFi relay that is fully compatible with Hubitat Elevation.

Where are you located?

On the zigbee side, this relay will do what you want.

For z-wave, in addition to the Fibaro smart implant, the Zooz Zen16 and Zen17 will also do what you need. However, they will only work in North America (z-wave freq. is restricted).

1 Like

I'm not familiar with the MHCOZY device, however I post in the Arduino forum quite often and folks report those blue "Songle" relays have terrible reliability.

I'm using several of these (along with the Tuya integration for Hubitat) and they work great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JCPV6ZS/

The OP was looking for dry contacts - the Shelly 2.5 and the MHCOZY are not dry.... please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Shelly 1 has a single dry contact and AFAIK is the only Shelly device with a dry contact??

The Fibaro has 2 dry (potential free) contacts AFAIK.

Definitely dry.

And depending on one's needs, you have the choice of 1, 2, or 4 dry contacts.

I have been using them for about a year. I'm using mine as inching (momentary) relays. Neither of mine has failed or gotten stuck yet.

2 Likes

Wow Thank you all for your replies . Just to confirm I am in the UK. I have looked at the options suggested and the fgbs-222 seems like it will deliver exactly what I want. However I have a query in regards to its integration with my Hubitat hub as when I look it up under add new devices (native) it is not listed - or am I missing it ? or do I need to install a custom app or driver ?

Just to confirm I am in the UK. I have looked at the options suggested and the fgbs-222 seems like it will deliver exactly what I want. However I have a query in regards to its integration with my Hubitat hub as when I look it up under add new devices (native) it is not listed - or am I missing it ? or do I need to install a custom app or driver ?

Depending on how quickly you need something, this LoraTap c/w wireless contact, is looking promising with @kkossev working on an integration/driver.

And there's also a version with wired contacts, they call a Sliding Gate Controller that might work with the same driver.

There's a custom driver (by christy999). It does work perfectly well. I have two in use without issue - one I use to control a Bed TV Lift and the other connects to my alarm system. Here's the link to the page where it is discussed (includes the link to the driver code)

That's great.

Its funny about reliability. If I had to guess, the blue Songle relays are likely sold in the 100,000's or more. I've heard about a dozen complaints of what seems to be welded contacts.

Probably OK for low current applications and where failure is only an inconvenience. Still I think it's worth knowing going into a design.

1 Like

Easily.

I have a couple of those as well. Seem to be working after 2-3 years. The QC on these little Chinese relays isn't great (one of the things they save money on). So it is pretty much the luck of the draw ....

1 Like

I measured 0 volts across my Shelly 2.5 contacts when I got it. AFAIK, they are dry.

1 Like

Ok - see --> Converting a SHELLY 2.5 into a 2 dry contacts switch Converting a SHELLY 2.5 into a 2 dry contacts switch | Vintage from '70s & '80sVintage from '70s & '80s

So now I dunno the difference !!!

:man_shrugging:t3: I’m going to fall back to what I measured being an anomaly since they do state their contacts are not dry on their website. But since the OP said 24v AC was acceptable, then I’d suggest just adding an additional 24v AC relay so the output of the Shelly activates the additional relay.

But if the Fibaro is less money than a Shelly 2.5 and a 24v AC relay (and as easily available), then I’d go that way, if Z-Wave range won’t also be an issue.

Okay thanks again for all your help. As you can tell am a novice at these things. I have two units in mind to do this task one is the Fibaro FGBS-222 as mentioned above using a driver from the developers section ( thanks.. johnwill1) the other is Zooz Universal Relay Zen17 which I believe has a native driver has anyone come across these ?