[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

I was not having this issue before I used your driver. I will try switching back to the standard driver and see if I have issues.

Just double checked I am running your newest drivers via HPM.

Interestingly I always seem to have pending changes when I go the device details. I've run your "Test All" function successfully but I still have at least two pending changes. If I force a configure and refresh the logs show all states are synced. The device status will show " * syncStatus : Synced" but then if I hit configure / refresh again it will show 2 pending changes to sync. Not sure if this is related.

I have a variety of zen21/22/26/27 - FW versions in the table.

I am having zero issues and I have been using these drivers (keeping them up to date) for a couple months now.

I have two other zen22s that are currently not in use since I replaced them with red dimmers.

When I contacted zooz about my issue they suggested that I do a factory reset per these instructions: https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/336-how-do-i-perform-hard-reset-on-my-zen30-double-switch/

It has worked fine ever since I did the reset.

1 Like

Do you have any devices that report power stats? Some of them have the settings way too short and it clogs up the zwave with meterReport commands. I would say set them as high as you can tolerate especially if you don't use the info for anything.

1 Like

Sucked it up and excluded a bunch of my problem switches last night, did a factory reset, and repaired to see if that resolves my issues. I was an early adopter of the C7 hub and paired w/ S2. Given all the updates since then, this could be an issue.

I had some issues in the past and removed my Zooz double plug. Not seeing anything in the logs that looks to be causing issues, no metering devices pushing frequent updates.

For the ZEN30, what driver should we be using for the child device (relay/fan switch)? By default, it appears to be using Generic Component General Scene Switch, but I wasn't sure if there was a better one I should be using for that. Thanks!

I don't believe you can change it the way I have it set, that's the way I have the driver coded. The only thing that annoys me is that it must have the "Light" component enabled and it gets reported to Alexa as a light (instead of just a switch) I think because of that. So I may do a custom child driver just to have more control over that. Otherwise the generic one works perfectly for what it needs to do.

This happens with Google Home too. If I ask my assistant to turn on all the lights in the office, it'll turn the fan on too.

Follow up. Two of the Zen26 on/off switches I recently did a reset, and re-include on locked up last night again. Both had the blue LED's lit, but were not responsive to either physical clicks or digital commands. Both had their zwave routes missing in Hubitat. Both are S2 paired and running 3.0 firmware.

One of the switches is wired in a two way config, with a dumb leviton on/off paddle and one 15w LED flood light load. (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08222VHG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

The other switch is also wired in a 3 way config, dumb leviton paddle, with 2 x 8w LED bulbs as load. (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753BCRQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Here's details from Hubitat:

Switch #1:

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • S2: 1
  • deviceId: 40961
  • deviceType: 40960
  • manufacturer: 634
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x6C,0x55,0x9F
  • secureInClusters: 0x86,0x25,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x72,0x5A,0x73,0x70,0x5B,0x7A
  • firmwareVersion: 3.00
  • configVals: [1:0, 2:0, 3:0, 4:60, 5:0, 6:60, 7:15, 8:2, 10:0, 11:1, 13:0]
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 01 04 10 01 5E 6C 55 9F 68 23 F1 00 86 25 85 5C 8E 59 72 5A 73 70 5B 7A

Switch #2:

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • S2: 1
  • deviceId: 40961
  • deviceType: 40960
  • manufacturer: 634
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x6C,0x55,0x9F
  • secureInClusters: 0x86,0x25,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x72,0x5A,0x73,0x70,0x5B,0x7A
  • firmwareVersion: 3.00
  • configVals: [1:0, 2:0, 3:0, 4:60, 5:0, 6:60, 7:15, 8:2, 10:0, 11:1, 13:0]
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 01 04 10 01 5E 6C 55 9F 68 23 F1 00 86 25 85 5C 8E 59 72 5A 73 70 5B 7A

Any idea what's going on? Once I power cycle the switch (at the breaker) the unit recovers immediately, the Zwave route shows up in Hubitat and the device is responsive to both physical and digital commands.

Can someone please tell me how to use the ZEN77 dimmer in scene activation on Hubitat:

• Scene Functions matching Zooz docs (10 unique actions) - MUST Enable Scene Control parameter on some models

I have #13 parameter enabled and check logs when doing all sorts of combinations. double tap, held, up/down. But, no where can I see how the scene would be activated via the device, since its not a scene activation (virtual device) as is setup when you create a scene in the Hubitat.

Thanks!

I guess a better name for it would be button events, not scene control. They call it scene control because it uses the ZWave command class "Central Scene". Really you can trigger anything you want with the multi-tap actions which includes scenes.

You would have to trigger the scene with a rule in Rule Manager or the Button Controller app (easier). First you can either turn on the info logging for the device, or check the Events tab on the device. You should see things like button 3 pushed [up 2x] in the events (or log if you enable logging).

Those events you can then use in the Button Controller app to trigger a scene based on that button number. Here is an example I have where 2x down (button 4) is my preferred dim level, and then 3x up and down trigger scenes. The scenes then change multiple lights at once.

2 Likes

@tedrpi I would open a ticket with Zooz, let them know what you have already tried and the info you posted. Could be any combination of issues with the HUB and/or switch hardware. All your params look to be at defaults. I would be really surprised if it had something to with the driver. All my switches have been working flawlessly with my C7 hub. They might want you to try and update the firmware, my Zen26 is running 3.02 (came with it).

https://www.support.getzooz.com/home/

@jtp10181 Thanks, that's kinda what I ended up with as a conclusion last night. I monitored the logs and saw button events with [x2] or something like that and figured that was the double click event translated to a button press (4,5,2,etc). Then I simply used WebCore to turn on the scene activator virtual device.

The only strange thing I have now is trying to trigger from Held Button Down. Even though I have 'nightlight' disabled. When I hold down paddle button it always sets the light to 20%, which was what I previously set nightlight as for testing. It doesnt seem to want to release these settings. I have pressed Configure, even after changing the device type and back again.

Appreciate the guidance, I have contacted Zooz w/ the issue. It's hard to say where the problem is. Zooz did share with me the recent firmware updates but agreed they are unlikely to be the source of my problems. I did update to 3.02 on a couple switches.

For reference here's the change log for the Zooz firmware:
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/302-zen26-s2-switch-change-log/

I can't pinpoint my issues to firmware or hardware. I'm currently trying 3 different drivers (the advanced driver from this thread, the Hubitat built in Zooz driver, and the generic zwave dimmer driver) to try and figure out where the issue may be.

The other possibility is an app causing issues. I'm using the Lights on Motion App and built in Motion Lighting app. @d_man97 - are you using any 3P apps for automations. Wondering if there another commonality I'm missing.

I tested the night light on a Z27 and Z77. It appears that when you disable the night light mode, holding the button when the switch is off instead turns it on at the minimum brightness setting instead. It does not turn on and then dim it just basically activates the same feature but at the min instead of the night light setting. I am going to report this to Zooz as a bug in the firmware.

Do you plan to normally only use this trigger when the switch is off? Since it is a dimmer if the switch is on, holding the button will dim the light that is connected as well as trigger the button held event.

2 Likes

Awesome, glad to know its not just me.. LOL

I really don't need to trigger using the held down button event, I was just noticing things that didn't correspond with the functionality I was expecting. Thanks for submitting the bug report!

My plan for the triggers is to have the switch placed at the top of the staircase and whoever the last one up is, will double-tap the off button to active a 'bedtime' scene and automation that will set all the downstairs lights and lock stuff and things of that nature.

This way, don't need to announce to Alexa/GH "going to bed now" or fetch my glasses so I can see to push a dashboard tile on phone or wall device. Or basically anything that wouldn't normally be pushed when I reach the top of the stairs. So, it works out very convenient in this 'use case', or should I say 'stair case"'.. I'm so sorry.. I know that was bad!

BETA 1.4.3: ZEN30 Custom Child Driver
For anyone who is having issues with the child device for the relay button reporting to Alexa or Google as a Light instead of a switch, please try out this beta version. Seems to be working on both for me. Make sure the word "light" is not in your device name. You need to update the ZEN30 driver, add the child driver, then go to the device and remove and then create the child again for it to use the new driver. Once that's done you can add it back to your Echo or Google app to push it back out.

I want to check out a couple other things before I push this to the main channel but I figured I would let you all try this in the mean time.

ZEN30: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jtp10181/Hubitat/beta/Drivers/zooz/zooz-zen30-double-switch.groovy

CHILD: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jtp10181/Hubitat/beta/Drivers/generic/child-central-scene-switch.groovy

EDIT - So I tested the "Alexa turn on the lights" this morning, and low and behold the ceiling fan turns on! Apparently Alexa just turns on everything in the room (including the TV??) when you say that because it even turned on the scene I have pushed out to it which shows up as a switch. In Google the relay button comes over as a switch and I can designate that it is a fan. I tested "turn on the lights" using the app on my phone with voice commands, this works fine from Google.

EDIT 2 - A google search seems to indicate this is a wide spread problem with Alexa deciding to turn on/off everything in a group when you specifically tell it to turn on/off the lights. There are various recommendations to remedy it mostly with other people saying it still doesn't work right. The only clear cut way to fix it is to remove the things from the group you don't want to be turned on or off, which is a HORRIBLE workaround and not acceptable, IMO. Time to go complain to Alexa via the feedback hub (yes someone actually reads that stuff they have emailed me back afterwards before).

I must not be doing something right. I changed the Zen30 driver to your beta version. Removed and re-added the child, but the child device is still using the generic component central scene switch driver with no option to change it.

EDIT: Also, I didn't think about this before removing the child, but hopefully I didn't just break any of my rules...

EDIT2: Tried it anyway, GH still thinks my fan is a light with no way to change it.

Did you add the new child driver I linked above? If you don't install that it will fall back to the generic hubitat driver. Oh and for rules, you might have to go back in and just re-check the device. I had to add mine back to my dashboard again also.

Wanted to thank you for these drivers - they are fantastic! I just added a V4 Zen23 and 2 Zen24s to my setup and the drivers seem to work better than the stock Zooz ones.

I have a question about power outages - I have a Zen23 that is controlling a bunch of recessed Sengled bulbs. I set the "Smart Bulb Mode" to disable both paddle and z-wave control - all good. Works as expected. If the power goes out and is restored everything stops working - I have to set "Smart Bulb Mode" back to default, turn the light switch "on" in order to get it working again. I do have the "Behavior After Power Failure (#8)" set to "Forced to On" but it does not seem to work.

I'm on firmware 4.0 and there is an update 4.01. Wondering if I should update.

1 Like