[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

I got a reply back from Zooz support. Some of my ZEN23 switches are from an earlier release that does not support firmware upgrades. They are at firmware version 20.15.

Here's the revision log https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/301-zen23-toggle-switch-change-log/

I upgraded the first one of may switches that can be updated and it did take care of the pending count. I'm going to work through the rest later this week.

It's the same with the ZEN 21s. According to the Zooz Change Logs for the ZEN 21, OTA firmware updates didn't start until version 3.0. I got a few version 2 ZEN 21s and I'm also stuck at firmware 20.15.

I would assume it is the same with the ZEN21.

@nicholb and @nibyak I was thinking that might be the case. I have some ideas about how I can ping the switch to see which parameters are not supported and then disable them. I am pretty sure I can do it with a command button or maybe work it into the configure process. Otherwise I can code in a firmware version limit for each one so it hides them automatically. I will figure something out.

Everyone saw Jeff’s donation link, right ?

1 Like

Yeah those are V2s - I have an upstairs full of them - both Zen23s & Zen24s. They do seem to be working okay on the C-7 though but I'm not using them for anything too sophisticated just basic light control.

E.

DO NOT USE - Beta has been merged into final version 1/31/2021

Dimmer https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jtp10181/Hubitat/beta/Drivers/zooz/zooz-zen-dimmer.groovy
Switch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jtp10181/Hubitat/beta/Drivers/zooz/zooz-zen-switch.groovy
ZEN30 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jtp10181/Hubitat/beta/Drivers/zooz/zooz-zen30-double-switch.groovy

@nicholb, @nibyak, @waterboysh
I believe I have fixed the reported issues. I posted them in a beta branch on GitHub so they are not in package manager yet. You can manually copy/paste the code over the old driver if you want to try it out and verify.

For the dimmer and switch drivers
if you are currently stuck with a Pending Changes status here is what to do:

• Update driver from the beta branch linked above.
  • Do Save Preferences at last 1-2x and make sure Pending changes number is stable.
  • Press Hide Invalid Params button
  • Refresh the page, and invalid parameters should be gone from the list.
  • Hit Save Preferences one more time and it should eventually change to Synced

If you need to reset and get all the Params back, press Configure

I did not seem to work on the ZEN23 at 20.15 I tried it on. In fact the pending went from 3 to 5 items after following the procedure.

So you would have a clean log to look at, in this log I did the following.

1. Hit config to get all parameters back.
  2. Turned on debug logging and hit save parameters.
  3. Hit Save Parameters again to verify pending was stable.
  4. Hit the hide button.
  5. Refreshed the screen and 5 pending was still there.
  6. Hit save parameters and 5 pending was still there.

Uhg, the 20.x firmware is behaving a little differently than the current firmware when you get a reply back on a invalid parameter, so the way I am detecting them didn't work for that firmware. Would it make more sense to just use the Generic ZWave Smart Dimmer/Switch drivers for those 20.x or 1.05 firmware versions? According to the docs they didnt support the scene buttons and only had one parameter. Otherwise let me know and I can hard code something in for those old firmware versions to remove all the parameters.

1 Like

Using the generic is fine with me. Let me know if you ever want to test anything against these older version.

Let us know know if you recommend to use the generic driver for the 20.x and 1.x version of the switches . I assumed you’re still thinking on it. We’d hate to go thru the work of switching them all back and you come up with a fix later. :blush:

Try the generic out on 1-2 and see what it looks like. If there are any features missing compared to mine? According to the docs there is only 1 parameter available and no scene control so not sure if having a device specific driver for those adds anything useful? If there is a reason to support them better I will but I am thinking it may not give you any advantage. Unless those ones can do association groups and people need that, docs are not clear for that.

I've got a question for you @jtp10181. Do you have a Zen30 and a Zen 27? If so you should easily be able to see what I'm talking about. The dimmer switches have slightly different behavior and I would like the Zen27 to behave the same as the Zen30. Here's specifically what I'm talking about.

Zen30: Let's say I have the light set to 30%. If I walk over and single tap up on the dimmer switch, it ramps back up to 100%

Zen27: Let's say I have the light set to 30%. If I walk over and single tap up on the dimmer switch, absolutely nothing happens. I can press and hold up to ramp up, but it's actually faster to just turn the light off and then back on. I have the default on behavior changed from "last brightness" to "full brightness." Also, I have the parameter "Double tap up function" set to "Disabled, single tap full/maximum brightness"; this doesn't make a difference.

If the Zen27 is turned on and below 100%, I'd like a single tap up to ramp up to 100% the same way it does on the Zen30. This is the behavior with the built in driver and Bryan's driver as well. I'm not sure if @agnes.zooz is aware of this inconsistency or not. Would this be something you'd be able to program into the driver?

I have a Zen27 and a double tap on the top sets it back to 100%. I think I saw it in the Zooz instructions (not sure though). I know it works because I almost always double tap up to max brightness before I turn it off. I think I'm using the built in driver. It's the one that says "Zooz central scene dimmer". I'll change some of the settings and play with it.

So I just changed it to single tap to full brightness, save preferences then saved the device and now the single taps takes it to full brightness.

While the light is already on and dimmed or from the off state? My wife hates double tapping the lights.

Did you see if the beta ZEN30 driver I posted above fixed the logging issue you pointed out?

I do have both switches but I don't have a ZEN30 installed yet, just have been bench testing so far. It definitely sounds like a firmware thing, possibly one of the parameters is not working as intended on the ZEN27 or the ZEN30. On the new ZEN77, they added a new parameter "Single Tap Up Brightness" which I was thinking maybe was doing what you wanted but this is also not working in my brief testing. The fact that the ZEN30 does that may be the actual mistake. I will have to test both out this weekend and see what reports they send back to the hub to see what I can come up with.

I can relate to the wife issues, mine wants nothing to do with fancy switches she just wants to turn the lights on and off and that's it. Cant be bothered with the special scene controls I have added on.

It definitely COULD be put into the driver but I think the best solution would be to add a button controller (stock app that comes with Hubitat). If you have the scene control enabled any single UP tap on the switch will send a button 1 pushed, and you could set that to adjust the brightness to 100%.

Here is an example of mine where I have set a down 2x tap (button 4) to set a 50% dim level. Same thing could be done but use button 1 and set to 100%

The way I understand this use case is that @waterboysh only like for the single tap to go to full brightness if the dimmer is already on. If it's off, he'd still like it to turn on to the last brightness level, is that correct? I think you could still program it using central scene and adding that status condition but if the ZEN30 Dimmer is behaving this way by default, we may be able to introduce it as a firmware change.

2 Likes

Nope, single tap to full brightness regardless of it's on or off.

But, if it's off, there is already a preference that changes what the light does when turned on. The default is return to last brightness. I just changed it to 99%. There's nothing wrong with the behavior when the light is off.

It's when the light is on and dimmed that I want a single tap to go to full brightness. It sorta feels like this preference is supposed to do that but doesn't.

This is from my Zen27. If it's not supposed to behave like what I'm talking about, it makes this setting kinda redundant and pointless.

Why would I disable double tap to full brightness and enable single tap to full brightness if that only works when the switch is off since that is already controlled by a completely separate parameter?

The custom brightness setting isn't really designed for use with full brightness. It was added to accommodate night light scenarios to turn the dimmer on to a custom brightness with a single tap at selected times of day or night. We then added the night light mode to simplify the programming but the custom brightness is still there for more elaborate scenarios.

If you're ok with using single tap to full brightness regardless of the position of the switch, then using the button automation @jtp10181 described would do the job.

@jtp10181 ~ Do you have any interest in/willingness to add support for the ZEN31 RGBW dimmer? There's a community driver for it that works fine, but like the other ZEN devices it doesn't seem to be in active development/support. Would love to consolidate all of my Zooz drivers under your umbrella. Keep up the great work! :slight_smile: