[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

Finally getting around to this and switching drivers from Brian's drivers.

Note: ALL my zooz are joined w/o security.

So far I have moved seven zen26 and one zen27:

• two of the zen26 are associated (group 2)
  • three of the switches have smart bulb mode enabled
  • six button controllers redone (since the button #s are changed)

No issues/unexpected behaviour observed.
Very nice to have the HELD & RELEASED supported again.

Thank you Jeff for the new drivers. I still have over a dozen to go and I think I will wait a few days before doing the rest, including three zen21s & 22s.

2 Likes

For the ZEN30 I saw the posts about issues, but I did not really test much on the stock driver. I suspect it is a driver coding issue. As far as I can tell my driver works correctly on Firmware >= 1.05 (don't have a device with less to test). I tested all the button presses and zwave on/off pretty heavily to make sure I got all the reporting and event logging right.

Steve, I could dig into the code on the other drivers as well, but what changed with the buttons numbers specifically? I thought Brian had that pretty close to being correct on his drivers but maybe not. Make sure when you press UP yours is logging an UP press and odd button number, otherwise it could be reporting in reverse. Zooz I guess has flip flopped on the scene number reporting with various firmware version and I only have recent ones to test with. In my next version I am adding a setting so people can force it to flip if needed instead of me just hard coding it with firmware version numbers.

Would hate for you to redo all your rules only to find out on my next version it breaks again because I fix something. My expected output is to follow the button numbers Zooz has on their advanced settings doc (I use ZEN27 as reference). Up=1, Down=2, Up2x=3, Down2x=4, etc....

1 Like

Nope, it's fine. I actually think you have them correct and it matches what Brian had stated.

But when I was doing my BCs with his drivers I was getting button 1 being reported on the lower paddle.

Ok yeah so you were getting the reversed reports before and my driver is correcting it now to match the docs. As for the Held and Released, not sure what he is talking about there because there is a specific attribute number in the scene report that means held and one for released, it is in the Zooz docs. Maybe when that comment was made that was not supported or documented.

You should be good going forward as I plan to keep as I mentioned above. If you have a lot of rules already built with it reversed though you could wait for my next release and then force it to be flipped if you want with the settings I will add. Only issue is in the event log the up/down label would be wrong but it is FYI only and does not do anything.

1 Like

Exactly !!

Nope, just simple BCs so I am good. But thank you for the heads-up.

After further review and testing, driver code is fine. Ignore request for adding 100% to max brightness list.

1 Like

EDIT: It does fix it, but I will leave this post up in case anyone has a similar problem.

For anyone curious, this does not fix the Zen30 bug that 2.2.4 introduced that will cause a relay button press to be registered when using the dimmer switch. This rule will turn on my fan when I turn the light on.

Log

I only ever pressed the relay button once, and that is the last line in the log, to turn the fan off.

Also, as a side note, can you please separate the switch and the relay in the logs? This is the only Zen30 that physically controls the relay. I mostly use them as buttons to activate a rule or scene. I'd like to have the logging be in it's own little space like the built in driver does.

Any tips for getting the pending changes to clear after switching to these drivers? I switched all my ZEN switches over last week and have hit the config button a few times as well as the refresh. All but one of the switches show from 2 to 12 pending changes. The switches are working.

Hitting configure should do the trick. Do you possibly have older firmware that is missing some of the newer parameters (let me know what model and firmware you have). These drivers are based on the most current firmware main version (either 3.x or 4.x depending on the model).

If you turn on debug logging and then press the "Save Preferences" button it should log all the stuff that it thinks it out of sync as it tries to update it. That might give a clue as to whats going on.

I have a mix of ZEN23, 24, and 27. They were installed over a 2 year period so the firmware varies on them.

Here's a ZEN23 at firmware 3.03. I hit save parameters and then configure. It still lists 3 pending changes.

Yeah it’s the old firmware doesn’t have all those parameters. If you can get them updated it will work correctly. Or if you don’t use those parameters on any of those switches I can tell you what to comment out in the driver.

That might be the next thing on my list to do, is make it automatically remove the unsupported parameters based on firmware version. I have the code for it in the Zen30 driver.

Updated firmware is on my list of things to do. I just sent out an email to Zooz support to get the current files. I'm sure I have a mix of hardware revisions too.

Me and @jtp10181 did some testing and I'm not sure what was going on the first time, but I can now confirm it actually DOES fix the issue introduced in 2.2.4. I can turn the lights on without it registering a button press.

1 Like

I don't know if the actual hardware revisions plays into the drivers at all. From what I could tell in their info you can update them all to the newest firmware. Let me know if you have any devices that cap out at a certain firmware number and I will try and get those supported for anyone else in the same spot. Otherwise supporting old firmware is not high priority since its not that difficult to get it updated using the App or Driver on Hubitat.

I have a question, all my Zen23’s are working , what is the value will I get out of updating the firmware on all of them vs seeing the pending message update message ? Is there a change log anyone can reference? I want to gauge my risk/reward .

Typically the firmware just adds extra features via parameters.
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/301-zen23-toggle-switch-change-log/

I am thinking about seeing if I can add a command button that will query each parameter to see if its valid and then shut off the ones which are not. This would make it easy to support older firmware. Trying to get the 700 series ones worked out right now though.

1 Like

UPDATE:
Just posted version 1.4.0 which supports the new ZEN7x switches. I have tested on the ZEN76/77 models but do not have a 71/72 to test, but it should work correctly going off the docs.

Also added a setting to reverse the scene instead of it only being hard coded in the driver. When you do a configure refresh the screen afterwards and it will have changed that setting to what it thinks should work for your switch.

Specific switch / dimmer drivers have all been merged into just two drivers, one for switches and one for dimmers (excluding the double switch because that uses a child device).

Note: If you update from the HPM the ZEN21 and ZEN27 should get changed to the new drivers. The ZEN22 and ZEN26 drivers will be orphaned. You will have to manually switch any of those devices over and then delete the orphaned drivers yourself. Sorry for the mess but it was a needed change which will make it easier to maintain going forward.

2 Likes

Great, how can we “Donate” to your next set of switches.

Since its been asked more than once now I added a link for donations to the bottom of the main post.