[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

They put a 700 series chip in the V3 :slight_smile: ZEN30 Double Switch Change Log - Zooz Support Center

I have one to test but its still in the box. I plan to swap it out in the area I get really bad signal (only finds one neighbor) and then I am going to dismantle the old one and see if I can make the antenna better.

That's a good way to describe it, I just tested the V3 and it is a little more firm than the V1 but not as good as the other ZEN switches. It actually has a little play in it also. I might be able to add a dab of glue to the end of the prongs on the paddle (and let it dry) to make them longer and fix it more. I did that on a 7x once after I shaved them down too far, from the original batch where they were too long.

2 Likes

What?? And it's been out since March... Wonder why they never advertised it at all. Once I get those, I will have replaced all the switches in my house with Zooz switches. I've been waiting for a 700 series version for a while and had no idea they had released it.

Yeah me either, I just found out by accident recently. So don't think I'm special. I am guessing they cannot get the 500 chips anymore, since they seem to be moving everything to the 700 now.

Speculation: they were trying to get all the old retail units "purged" before advertising the new one. I know I would be a bit annoyed if I purchased something that was supposed to be new, and was an older version.

That being said, they need to have a better numbering system for this situation. Having 3 of the same "part number" is insane. I can't imagine the grief it causes to both Zooz, the hubs that support them (drivers etc), and the end users.

3 Likes

Yeah I sort of got burned on their V2 stuff.. it IS UL listed which here in the States is a good thing to be and had a higher max load (I think) BUT could not update firmware. Also have had sporadic issues with event reporting though need to reverify after Hub Z-Wave firmware update.

1 Like

I updated my V2 Zen30 to 2.11

@erktrek is talking about v2 ZEN2x switches, since I know he has some. They do not have an OTA upgrade option and are stuck with whatever you got.

But let me know if you have any issues with the ZEN30v2, I only have a V1 installed now, and a V3 in the box ready for testing.

2 Likes

So far it’s been good. Using your driver and no issues. It’s been in since fall.

I've had success on this with various Zooz paddle devices, by inserting a small cut-to-size piece of a thicker type paper, to add a layer between the paddle prongs and the buttons they push on. My goal was to reduce the amount of play, and also to make them quieter, as the paddles are quite click-y. The little brochure that they ship with their devices is printed on paper with a nice weight to it, and it's pretty much perfect for this.

Yeah sorry should have been more clear..

Just a heads up they added a group 4 association for the ZEN72 at least in 10.10.

1 Like

Yeah I think I have some info on that. There have been a bunch of poorly or undocumented changes recently, I cannot keep up with it. I may need to revamp the parameters again to deal with various hardware revisions (eg ZEN30). It would be much easier if I had good info to work off of.

1 Like

I just ordered a couple of the 700 series Zen30. Does you driver support them at all or should I use the built-in driver?

It should work the same, I have one here to test with but I have not opened it yet. Any new parameters they added wont be in there. I think they made it function very similar so that existing drivers would continue to work.

1 Like

Many of you will start seeing Bad manifest for Zooz Switches Advanced Drivers from an HPM update. Now that the Unmatch feature is in there I was able to finish moving my manifest to a new spot on my GitHub. If you get this error go to HPM Settings > Unmatch and unmatch this driver. Then do a new matchup to get on the correct manifest file. Unfortunatly there is a bug in hub firmware 2.3.2.135 where the menu will show "null", which I was still able to select and match, and then everything else worked as expetced. HPM post about the null menu issue

Zooz reached out to me with info on some new firmware/hardware versions and parameters so they could be supported. I solved the issue with firmware versions going backwards with continued support for all 7x firmware version for anyone who just does not want/need to update.

I added the 'deviceModel' to the data section to better support viewing all models/firmware version using this app: [Release] Device Data Item Display. You will need to "Refresh" the device for it to populate the model in the data.

UPDATE: [1.5.2] - 2022-07-10

Added

• Support for multiple hardware/firmware major versions
  • Support for params 27-30 for ZEN72/74/77 (newest firmware required)
  • Support for Association Group 4 (only works on some models)
  • Set deviceModel in device data (press refresh)

Changed

• Removed getParam.value and replaced with separate function
  • Adding HTML styling to the Preferences

Fixed

• Some parameters would get multiple [DEFAULT] tags added

Deprecated

• Parameter test/hide functions, not needed

I totally forgot to post this originally. Example of HTML styling in preferences. I probably spent way too much time making this look perfect because that's just me. How awesome does this look?

3 Likes

What are these parameters? After upgrading, I opened a Zen77 and the highest parameter I see is 26.

Requires newest firmware, the fact that you cannot see it means my setup is working! Here is what I got form Zooz below. Hope they don't mind me posting this, it looks like a copy of what they plan to add to their docs. They asked me to add these settings so they better know its going to generate questions :slight_smile:. Oh and don't ask what the association groups are for, with them adding group 4, I don't know which does what, I am waiting for more info.

New parameter info from Zooz

Below are the new settings which have been added to the following dimmer versions so far:

ZEN72 10.10 (ver. 1.0 hardware) and 2.0 (ver. 2.0 hardware)
ZEN74 10.10 (ver. 1.0 hardware, no 2.0 hardware available at the moment)
ZEN77 10.20 (ver. 1.0 hardware), 2.10 (ver. 2.0 hardware), and 3.0 (ver. 3.0 hardware)

Remote Z-Wave Dimming Duration (Multilevel Commands For Group 3 And 4)

Parameter 30: Set the time it takes to get from 0% to 100% brightness on dimmers and smart bulbs directly associated with your dimmer in Groups 3 and 4 when pressing and holding the paddle (physical dimming) on your dimmer. The number entered as value corresponds to the number of seconds.
Values: 1 – 99 (seconds). Default: 5.
Size: 1 byte dec

Ramp Rate Control

Parameter 9: Adjust the ramp rate ON for your dimmer when the top paddle is pressed (physical ramp rate on). Values correspond to the number of seconds it take for the dimmer to reach full brightness when operated manually.
Values: 1 – 99 (seconds). 0 – instant on. Default: 0.

NOTE: On all other previous firmware versions including 1.0 and 10.0, this setting was used for all ramp rate control (to adjust behavior for on/off physical and Z-Wave ramp rate). The default value for this parameter used to be 1.

Parameter 27: Adjust the ramp rate OFF for your dimmer when the bottom paddle is pressed (physical ramp rate off). Values correspond to the number of seconds it take for the dimmer to turn off when operated manually.
Values: 1 – 99 (seconds). 0 – instant off. Default: 2.

Parameter 28: Adjust the ramp rate ON for your dimmer when a Z-Wave command is sent to turn the dimmer on (Z-Wave ramp rate on). Values correspond to the number of seconds it take for the dimmer to reach full brightness when operated via Z-Wave.
Values: 1 – 99 (seconds). 0 – instant on. 255 – match physical. Default: 255.

Parameter 29: Adjust the ramp rate OFF for your dimmer when a Z-Wave command is sent to turn the dimmer off (Z-Wave ramp rate off). Values correspond to the number of seconds it take for the dimmer to turn off when operated via Z-Wave.
Values: 1 – 99 (seconds). 0 – instant off. 255 – match physical. Default: 255.

3 Likes

Ah, okay. All related to ramp rates. I hope they add these same parameters to the Zen30. You can set the ramp rate for physical, but not zwave so when using it with motion at night there's a delay as the dimmer ramps up. Oddly, this only happens with values under 100%, which is instant.

Speaking of the Zen30,

I added the 'deviceModel' to the data section to better support viewing all models/firmware version

Was this update only to the dimmer/switch drivers?

No update to Zen30 yet but I am going to bring it up to speed with the other driver very soon.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you for the work you put into these drivers btw. It's highly appreciated.

1 Like