[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

The Child driver is an optional add on for the ZEN30 driver to solve a specific issue when using it with Fans.

As for the original issue, you selected the Switch driver, you need the Dimmer driver, sounds like you solved it. Change the Driver/Type on the device to Zooz ZEN Dimmer Advanced and then run configure, it should detect the switch and clear up all the warnings.

I really put that in there for this exact example of @Kaitlyn selecting the wrong driver and then possibly wondering why its not working (if the error was not visible). So the error drove the behavior I wanted, to question why its there and fix it.

Only should be there if you either select the wrong driver, or have never run configure and the device model is not populated correctly. If it is a supported device running configure should clear up the errors.

Also is possible to use some of the drivers on unsupported devices on purpose, and it will still work, as long as it is the same type of device.

I suspected the same - thanks for confirming! I think it was one of my leak sensors, and it's definitely possible I somehow muffed the driver selection/setup during the original install (since I did several back-to-back).

Good to know - thank you!!

Okay just wondering - since I had a bunch of switches+dimmers to move over. After I selected the *Advanced driver I reloaded device page and configure, and they end up outputting a ton to the logs. But one of mine outputted virtually nothing?

dev:452024-01-05 01:37:46.902 PMinfoKitchen lights: level is set to 100% (digital)
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:46.897 PMinfoKitchen lights: switch is turned on (digital)
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:40.013 PMinfoKitchen lights: Logging Level is: Info (2)
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:35.845 PMwarnKitchen lights: Clearing state variables and data...
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:35.821 PMwarnKitchen lights: configure...

Whereas another device (they are both zen77 dimmers) outputted a lot more, this is only the beginning of it:

dev:472024-01-05 01:33:21.887 PMdebugStairs switch: ledMode - LED Indicator (#2) = 0
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:21.497 PMdebugStairs switch: paddleControl - Paddle Orientation (#1) = 0
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:21.087 PMdebugStairs switch: Group 4 Association: []
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:20.882 PMdebugStairs switch: Group 3 Association: []
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:20.679 PMdebugStairs switch: Group 2 Association: []
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:20.496 PMdebugStairs switch: Lifeline Association: [1]
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:18.679 PMinfoStairs switch: Logging Level is: Info (2)
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:14.532 PMwarnStairs switch: Clearing state variables and data...
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:14.493 PMwarnStairs switch: configure...

Probably did not have debug logging enabled. If the syncStatus is Synced and all the settings are available then you are all set.

1 Like

Hello Jeff @jtp10181 , you are right where I need to go. Just installed the ZEN30 for a ceiling fan/light. The dimmer is direct wire to the light, but there is no wire for the fan, so the relay wires are just capped off.
I installed the latest driver of yours via HPM (v 2.0.2), but cannot find where to access the relay button tap, double-tap, triple tap and long tap. I would like to assign these relay button actions to be used in basic rules or RM as Low, Med, High, Off respectively. I believe I need to install the Child Driver, but I don't understand how to install/enable that driver. I do currently have a "Zooz Double Switch-Relay" child device which somehow showed up, but it does not have triple-tap option.

Also I thought it would be best to update firmware on the ZEN30, which is currently at 3.10. Zooz has a zip file for v3.20, I downloaded it, unzipped the .gbl file, dropped it into the z-wave updater, and went through the steps - it says it is updating the firmware, but that screen never changes to complete. If I click 'done' it just goes back to the previous screen and the FW still shows as 3.10 What am I missing??

Thanks for all you are doing with these drivers, your hard work is very much appreciated!!

Since there is no native "trippleTap" attribute, the 3x taps will show up as button 3 pushed on the child device. Make sure you have the scene control enabled for the relay (it is one of the settings on the main device). This will work with the default system driver, or my custom child driver. The custom child driver was created to fix some issues when sharing the relay as a fan to Google and Alexa, otherwise it is not really needed.

For the firmware, if you have the device paired with S2 security the built in updater app will not work. Here is a guide for using the driver version of the updater. [GUIDE] Z-Wave device - how to update firmware using the driver method

For the firmware URL, if Zooz has one posted you can use the direct link to the GBL file from their site. Otherwise use the extracted GBL and follow the guide.

1 Like

So I look at the live logs, and I do see what you are saying, but more.

When I tap once = I see "button 1 pushed [relay 1x]". I can use that, but then comes "switch is turned on (physical)". I get that, it is exactly what it implies. The issue is, it does me no good, and generates unnecessary confusion (and maybe a little unnecessary data). Should I just ignore it or is there a way to suppress that second action?

Then I double-tap = generates "Button 1 double Tapped [relay]" again, unnecessary, and I kinda want to suppress that as well... then comes, "Button 2 pushed [relay 2x]" That I can use, in the same way as button 1.

A Triple-tap generates "button 3 pushed [relay 3x]" Once again, I can use that!

This is progress!! :+1: :+1:

As for the child driver, I do use Alexa, for some other devices, and for the sake of WAF will likely attach this ceiling fan to it as well, however I believe my work-around will satisfy that - as a retired panel builder, knowing well the advantages of interposing relays, I see a parallel in using virtual switches with HE routines. I use 3 v-switches (buttons) to control 3 Shelly Plus-1 pm relays in the fan canopy which replace the functions of the pull-chain speed control switch (the three v-switches drive the relays to match the connection functions of each speed position of the old switch). The Zooz button presses can simply control the V-switches for L-M-H-off to control the fan, and Alexa should also be able to access the v-buttons for the same functions.

As for the firmware, I do not have security enabled, but I will try the other path to update. I understand this may not yield any gain for my instance but I feel it is a best practice to keep all hardware updated whenever possible.

The switch on/off event, I think if you enable Smart Bulb mode for the relay and disable the status events it should make it stop reporting the switch on/off and also bonus the LED wont go on and off when you press the button.

The button 2 / doubleTapped events, those you will get both, reason is that I added the doubleTapped event to be more compatible with the Button Controller app grid layout. It makes it easier to see what is going on if you use the DT vs the button 2. So you can use either event. The extra event is not hurting anything.

Thanks again for your quick replies.
I know this is not directly related to your drivers, but as I am building this out, I found within the virtual devices, a "virtual fan controller" with up to five "levels" to select from. I thought this would make more sense than using 3 individual virtual buttons, and might allow the Alexa command to be "Alexa, living room fan [ low-medium-high]" rather than "turn living room fan medium on" (klunky) . Problem is, I create a new "virtual button" device, name it "living room fan", use the type "virtual fan controller" and it seems to create and save OK, but then when I go to basic rules -> when a button device -> (select device), pulldown does not include my newly created virtual fan controller. Same thing in RM. Open to suggestions if you have any!

The virtual fan controller does not have "button" capabilities, so it would not show up as an option for button devices. Not sure what you are trying to do exactly? Might be better to make a new topic for that though.

Hi Jeff

Silly question. I just noticed that most - maybe all - of the little blue leds on my zen26 and zen27 seem to be off instead of “on when switch is off”

My zen7x do not seem to be affected. I checked a couple switches driver setting and I can’t see anything changed. I have had a few blue LEDs die on some older switches but I think this is too many to go all at once.

I don’t think I missed a post about this but just thought I would check with you.

Edit. Not most - about half. Weird. Possible from the same batch.

Check this parameter setting.

1 Like

On the switches affected, I do not get the blinking LED when I save preferences or change an option in the driver.

I think it’s safe to say that the LEDs have burned out in these switches and I am just noticing it at the same time.

That's what I was thinking, neither Zooz or I have changed anything with the LED settings in a while. That's a shame the LED burned when the rest of it still works. If they are within 5yrs, they might replace them for you.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes they are under 5 years but probably close. These ones were probably purchased in 2019/2020.

But I am in Canada and these were purchased directly from the smartesthouse site, shipped to our Long Island company address and then I hand carried to Canada on a business trip. So they were not purchased through the Canadian reseller. Any RMA would be a nightmare.

About six months ago I did do a tear down - you really have to tear it down completely to get to it - and did a replacement on one switch. So it is doable, just not fun. I had two more switch’s on my todo list. I guess I have a half dozen more now :wink:

Hi everyone, Im a new hubitat user so I have been trying to wrap my head around all of this! I installed the new driver and most changes to parameters are operating as expected.

I am attempting to set my double tap to a custom brightness of 70%. For some reason, it goes to 100%. I ran a report to see what the parameters were set to using the basic zwave tool and it seems the parameters are set to correctly. single tap works as well and turns on to 25%.

has anyone else encountered this issue?

Would need to know what device model and firmware, and also what settings you have.
I think maybe you are using custom brightness for single tap and maximum for double tap? If you have the brightness correction on it may be going to 70% but will show as 100%, and also some models have that correction built into the switch firmware.

You may need to disable the double tap setting on the switch itself, and then program a button event to set the brightness how you want for the double tap.

Hello. Very new here. Just installed 2X ZEN30's (on completely different circuits). Both using this driver. The first works fine and behaves as it should. The second exhibits strange behavior. Physically the buttons behave correct. Logically (virtually), when I turn on the paddle switch, it also turns on the relay. The paddle switch light comes on but the relay's fan does not, but both indicate on. Same behavior for turning off the paddle switch virtually; both go off. The light goes off, and the relay goes off, but the fan on the relay was never on to begin with. I can't seem to initiate a virtual "turn on" of the relay by itself. Using the "on" function in hubitat does nothing.

I've excluded it, included it, reinitialized it, multiple times. What can I provide the community so I can get advice as to what's happening?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you are set to my custom driver from this post, current version.
Then run "Configure" on my driver to properly detect the endpoints (this changed with the 800LR model). The configure is critical for it to function correctly when switching from the system driver over to my driver.

If still having issues please enable the Trace logging option, and then do an on/off sequence where you have the issue. Post a screenshot of the resulting logs.

Thank you so much! The configure button is a miracle worker. All things fixed (I think). Sorry I missed that step.