[DRIVER] Zooz ZAC38 Range Extender (and Power Outage Monitor)

Probably, with the Homekit integration. Not sure what Apple will let you do with it for automations, I dont use the HK automations. If its not doing what you want you could always create a virtual switch or contact sensor in HE, and then have that go on/off with a rule based on the powerSource. Share that to HK and then make an alert when the switch changes status.

Doesn’t look like the sensor gets exposed to HK with the integration - I’ll have to look into options thank you

@jtp10181 - quick question. Does the power attribute work with a C-5? I had tried the Ring Extender that it did not report power state on a C-5, so I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

I don't see why it wouldn't, the only difference is you cannot use S2 on the C5 otherwise the device would not know the difference between hubs. The device should work fine with no security. I am surprised the Ring did not work, it should have, unless it requires S2 for some odd reason.

That was it.

Strangely, it worked for some, but not others, but S2 was always stated as the reason why. Obviously, the mostly-closed support was why it was never totally figured out, and also why I ditched all my Ring REs for the Zooz.

1 Like

Not sure why either... I got a reply from @bobbyD that Ring Extender (v2) was not compatible with the C-5. I had paired it but the power attribute was not updated until I went to the device page and hit "Save Preferences" (or something like that). It would then not "unpair" and I had to use a Z-wave stick to remove it.

@JB_TX - do you have them paired with a C-5 by any chance?

No, I don’t, sorry! I’ve moved to the C-7.

1 Like

I think the more important question is, if anyone is using it without security. I have mine paired with S2. I am sure others are using without security and without issues or we would have heard about it.

1 Like

Mine is paired without security on my C-8, no issues

2 Likes

Thanks - just ordered it. Hopefully it plays well with the C-5 :crossed_fingers:t3:

Hey Jeff, @jtp10181

Great driver! Thank you for all the stuff you do...

I have 4 of these now and all appear to be working properly, but they don't show proper attributes in @tony.fleisher's Z-Wave Mesh Details App. Not sure if its something in these devices, the driver or the app.

I have quite a few Zooz devices and use your drivers for all of them. They all show correct attributes in the app, just not these extenders.

Its really more of an OCD annoyance so not a super big deal... I'm referring to the listening, beaming, FLiRs and Z-Wave Plus sections to be exact. They show "NO DATA" for these devices.

I believe that's all in the inClusters area and all of that is populated on the device page. It looks like it is all there so not sure what the deal is...

This is what I have for all four of the ZAC38's

inClusters: 0x5E,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x55,0x86,0x72,0x5A,0x87,0x73,0x9F,0x6C,0x7A,0x71,0x80,0x70,0x22**

Did you go into the app and authorize those devices after adding them? I just turn the setting off, and then back on, then click all Zwave devices again to just pick up anything new.

Seems to be working for me (this is debug info for the device)

2 Likes

@jtp10181
OMG, :man_facepalming:
Thank you... I thought I had added them, but it must not have taken... Weird, because they showe up on the list in the app, so I assumed they were good... I made sure they added this time, and all appears good.

Jeff - just confirming that it works with a C-5 and reports battery/mains correctly! Thanks so much - I can now get rid of my kludgy solution of pinging my Harmony hubs to see if they were online (offline = power outage).

1 Like

This is gonna sound dumb, but...

How do I turn a ZAC38 off when I want to put it "on the shelf" for a while?

Received the ZAC38 today. Plugged it into a power strip to make it easier to test power outage detection. Included it with no problems. Installed this driver and changed the device to use it with no problems. Testing successful/complete for now. I'm not planning on using it right now, so successfully excluded it.

Immediately after exclusion (I made sure it wasn't in the device list), the LED started/continued flashing green. Unplugged it. Still flashing green. Plugged it back in and tried to do a factory reset. Held button down for 20+ seconds, but LED never turned red like the doc says it should, i.e., it never stopped flashing green.

I included it again to make it stop flashing. Note that to include it, I had to press button three times again, i.e., the fact that it was flashing green continually after I excluded it didn't mean it was in include mode.

So how do I turn this thing off?

Also, what is the tab on the side for? It's not mentioned in the documentation.

That little clip lets you take the power prongs off, I assume so it could be switched to EU style plugs.

To make it stop flashing you may have to let it run the battery dead, takes about 2 days. Although, if its a lithium battery it is not good to let them sit dead for too long. I think I took mine apart to see what was inside, cannot remember if the battery can come out or not.

I would just include it and plug it in somewhere.

1 Like

To reduce confusion I may have caused on doing a factory reset...

I misread the doc on how to do a factory reset. Instead of clicking it once (press down then release) then pressing and holding it for 20 seconds, I was just pressing and holding without the initial click. When I clicked (press/release) it once, then held it down, it started flashing red after 20 seconds, then turned steady red for a few seconds, then the LED turned off.

I'm assuming it is really "off", i.e., not on battery power. I will include it again in a few days to make sure the battery is still at/near 100%.

The battery has leads soldered to it, but the other end of the leads is a small male plug. The battery is rectangular in shape, and I've never seen one like it. I guess it's replaceable if it can be purchased. Maybe thru Zooz? Maybe the expected life of the battery is so long under normal conditions that the device will be superceeded with new tech before the battery needs to be replaced.

FYI, I emailed Zooz support and asked about the ZAC38 battery, specifically what the battery's expected life is (not how long it can run on battery power) and if it can be replaced. Here's the response...

The battery is internal and will not need to be changed; it charges whenever the device is plugged in. The battery's capacity may be affected over time but not to a point that it would need to be replaced.

@jtp10181 - any chance you can add the firmware version to the "current status" or "state variables"? I have 2 of these devices and I want to confirm that they have the same firmware. The firmware version is published in the debug logs when pairing so hoping that it is readily available to the driver. Thanks!