Doorbell sensors $1

I don;t know enough about driver code yet, but when I do, I'll be fixing this.

Mine arrived. Other than initially not having the wiring diagram for my doorbell which made connecting it difficult, it was easy to connect. Now that I have it wired correctly, it works great. I started with a custom rule, but switched to the notifications app. Response is very fast while I am at home. I am not sure how fast it will be if I am away though.

I don't know if that it is possible... :thinking: Nobody on SmartThings ever got the battery reporting to work. And when I took a quick look at tweaking the driver here on Hubitat a few weeks back, I noted that the device is always sending a value of 0 for battery level.

It is possible that someone could figure out a Zigbee configuration parameter to send to the device to get its battery reporting to work properly. I just don't have those Zigbee guru skills.

1 Like

Thanks for checking about battery readings. No problem. Working great. What a deal at $4.95 including shipping. I'm using pushover for notifications and working great away from home letting me know someone rang my doorbell.

Trying to get a batch of these for a few ideas I am working. Has anyone actually opened them up and used them for values other than the 10-24vac? I did not find mention of that. Plus, before mine arrive, does anyone have a handy picture of the inside of one?

Hope this helps -ALSO if you find a way to report battery status it would be much appreciated

1 Like

Thanks. It shows it has plenty of space inside for modification and the sensor cables are on a connector not soldered, which will make it easier. I will have to look closer at the whole thing and do a bunch of testing with different voltages... Which is why I bought a bunch. :slight_smile:

If I figure out anything with the battery I will let you know. Has anyone tried putting a nearly dead, but not dead, battery in one? I have stumbled across a couple devices that only give a "battery low" notice. This sounds like the case here if it always reports 0. Low might be a 1. Just a guess.

Unfortunately, the driver for sage doorbell from Hubitat doesn't have any type of battery status designation unless, like you stated, it only shows when nearly dead. Will just have to wait and see. Good luck on your project! Glad to have helped.

1 Like

Got my sensors today and paired one without any problems. Already messed with it a bit to try it out with my own driver (so I can mess with it and check ALL the data it reports). Have to see how things go over some time (I do not have an AC power supply handy at the moment).

Started tracing where the wires actually go to and the likely optocoupler (have not been able to identify the chips directly). If it turns out to be as simple as wiring a wire into the "output" from there and bypassing the AC portion this may not be so bad.

The back side of the board is where the real "smarts" are. This uses an Atmel M2564RFR2. Pretty common for such purposes...

As for the battery... I am betting it does not report it. The Quick Start Guide does not mention it, plus when I looked at the Echostar troubleshooting for the device it mentions using a battery tester to make sure the battery is good. I think the battery report is just an artifact of what it has been configured for. It seems a lot of ZigBee drivers leave in battery and temperature reporting because almost every sample driver includes them... But I will keep my eyes open for it.

1 Like

I ordered a box full from US and started playing around to modify them. As far as I can tell the battery is used to keep essential comms up and working, the AC door bell supply is used to power some of the LM324 circuit which is a quad opamp and goes through a regulator on the back side to give a 3.3v output. As far as I've probed there are 4 inputs that change configuration depending on what input is "buzzed" there is also something that wakes the Atmel processor up as the XTL oscillator stops with no input, and then lasts about a second after the Buzz is removed. It shouldn't take much to get to the bottom to turn it into a simple 2 switch or door contact.

Yeah, I started tracing it out and then hitting parts with 3.3v (from the battery) to see if I could trigger it. No luck yet. Just got a 24vac power supply a couple days ago and tried it so I know it works. Just need to figure out exactly where to trigger each point. Of course I have gotten side tracked with some other work also. I have a couple pictures where I circled or marked what connects to what (so far). I will try to post those tonight.

here are my findings so far and related to the diode 1-4 in a row.

With trigger on white to yellow wire
D1 - 2.64v (on)
D2 - 0.18v (off)
D3 - 3.09v (on)
D4 - 3.12v (on)

with trigger on white to green
D1 - 3.11v (on)
D2 - 3.12v (on)
D3 - 2.65v (on)
D4 - 0.16v (off)

As i said though in my last message there is a trigger in on one of the Atmel that must be a sleep function as the crystal oscillator (Y2) stops when there is no input.

I think the battery lacks reporting function simply because it's not actively needed, and only works to maintain standby status and keep the processor sleeping to maintain a quick report when it does fire up.

Anyone try it with DC voltage?

I did. Nothing happened. Which, considering the normal design of an optocoupler, was a bit odd. I think it all boils down to the fact that they actually over engineered this a bit. Helps make sure it only does what it is designed for, nothing else... But at the same time it does not do what it was designed for in the simplest possible method.

Is there a trick to get one of these to pair. The closest I've come is it saw it but got stuck on initializing.

I've got it close to the hub.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Join_and_Reset_Instructions#SAGE

1 Like

Thanks. It found it again, but it's stuck on "initializing." I think I'll restart HE before trying again.

Got it!

1 Like

Hi, new to the Hubitat scene but loving it so far!

I've got one of these sensors and installed it but Im getting some odd behavior and anyone else experienced it and solved it.

Doorbell works perfectly, front connected to a Nest hello, back to a standard bell push. Both front and back wired up in accordance with manufacturers' specs.

Installed the Sage... front bell works perfectly. Back however refuses to acknowledge a press. I've noticed that the instant the device is powered on by the battery it registers a 'back physical press' and never again. there is no voltage between the Trans and front or back terminals unless the corresponding bell is pushed.

Logs show nothing on a back button push... front is as expected.

swap them and see if only the back works. .that would point to a problem with the device itself..