Don't switch to SmartThings

No real reason other than making a circular argument. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read and posted on that thread. I think the tone of it has done a 180 (or at least a 135) from the OP.

2 Likes

Good to see OP acknowledge the anger issue, at least.

His last post was flagged for using some 4 letters words to the Hubitat community.

Although he never seemed to realize that the hub isn’t the problem when a device report/state change gets lost in the mesh. I can’t remember when the last time was that this happened with one of my contact sensors. I also have had nothing but improved speed and reliability with each platform update since August. 2.2.3 was the release that allowed me to shut down my SmartThings hub for good :grinning:

1 Like

Anyway, do we really need his kind of negativity here ? Some people just always want to be right even when they ask a question.

2 Likes

Honestly didn't see all that crazy coming on the blue conversation side. IMHO running a Habitat Hub and a SmartThings Hub gets the most mileage today. So there really isn't a 'switch' that needs to be considered. Just use the right tool for the job you need done.

It's happened here in this forum too. His most unhinged comments have since been deleted, IIRC.

3 Likes

Wait, I must have forgotten to give my opinion!

12 Likes

I guess I spoke too soon because that other thread got back to original direction and then got worse.

1 Like

Well, that was a fun read. So glad we don't have that kind of nonsense over here.

2 Likes

There have been some bumps for the new users that came over in the flood after the announcement of killing off the classic app, yes. I think the staff has done a great job of working through the issues as fast as they could though given the circumstances. The release of the first 700 series hub with unproven sdk, S2 pairing issue, and device bugs with the S2 bootloader issue, ghost node removal issue, covid, huge influx of new users, and a huge release with tons of changes. Most people I've helped though have been able to work through the common problems though. There are a lot of common issues I see constantly with pairing issues or mesh issues. Maybe I'll do a write up so I don't have to keep typing the same stuff over and over.

It's the ones that want it now and to just work that seem to struggle the most. I get where they're coming from but it's not like ST is perfect either. Given enough time to get everything settled in and talking right they probably would be converting others over but alas. Can't make everyone happy and it's probably better with them gone.

2 Likes

Some folk just take a really dumb approach to platform switching - regardless of what you are coming over from, the best advice I can give (from personal experience) is to start small, get comfortable and familiar with the new platform. Only then progressively migrate the bulk of your z-wave and zigbee devices to the new platform.

If I had taken the big bang approach to openHAB, Home Assistant, and HomeSeer when I was evaluating replacements for my Vera Hubs; I would have crashed and burned so hard my wife would have banned me from automating anymore of the house and most likely demanded a return to manual switches et al.

You also need to read up on compatible devices and be prepared to ditch some - for me this was Thermostats.

I took the same sensible approach to migrating the house to the HE C7.

/2c

I have some Honeywell color display thermostats that I really like but they're cloud-connected and throttle api calls. They use a Redlink hub to connect to the cloud that I'm looking forward to getting rid of at some point but they haven't bothered me enough to change out yet. Holding out hope for something that looks better than the Honeywell T6's that support zigbee or zwave.

1 Like

ya same setup. as least the one redlink works for both therms.. but i cannot get rid of them as the main therm has sensors in the duct to sense problems and also a whole house steam humidifier that it controls.. There are not good solutions with all those features.. also the one upstairs has 3 seperate wireless temp sensors and averages the temp to decide when heat/cool is needed.

This obviously i could duplicate.

1 Like

There's plenty of humidity here in Houston so I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that but not sure if there's anything else that I'd need to check for. I honestly haven't looked into it much other than there are two 5 ton units. I think it's pretty strait forward though each only has 1 zone. One thermostat for the bedrooms and one for the rest of the house. I have temp sensors all over the place in Hubitat so that's not an issue either.

got ya beat lol

the kitchen temp is the outlier because it is part of my weather station (ecowitt) main receiver and pluged into an outlet below kitchen window so sensor is on the window sill and that is why it is reading low.. Unfortunately i need it here with line of sight to my outdoor units for rain/wind/temp/lightning etc. Think I'll change name to kitchen window.

I ditched a pair of google nest Gen 2’s and a Honeywell D6 Pro after running them via my Vera for a couple of months after everything else was moved to Hubitat.

I moved to a pair of Zigbee Zen thermostats and a Remotec ZXT-600 zwave thermostat.

I was running a Sensibo Sky v2 using a community driver but it wasn’ta great port from ST and I was never fully happy with it.

ya i need the honeywell becuae it runs the fan with the steam humidifier even when the furnace is not on.. its all integrated as are the sensors in the duct that can tell the temp diff and tell you if system is not heating or cooling correctly. luckily i dont use it for many automations as you say they throttle connections. have them currently set to every 1/2 hour

I’ve thought about getting my ST v2 out of the cupboard (I only bought it to update the firmware on my Zen’s) to run my Honeywell D6 Pro.

But for now the Remotec is mostly working ok.

1 Like