Does C8 not play nice with ZWave? Keeps hanging

I have read the "read first before posting" and that didn't help.

I have a C8 2.3.8.125 and I have only added 2 Zigbee and 2 Zwave devices. Lately it's started hanging (no ping, no functionality, nothing). Sometimes multiple times a day.

It never did before I added a neo coolcam water sensor, so my guess is it's that, but obviously I got no proof.

I wanted to know if it's a known issue, and if there's a way to find what's wrong? I looked at logs, and never found any logs that were close to the time the decice froze.

My C8 is basically stock, no changes I made or modified in anyway. Latest firmware + added the devices, and set up an alert to trigger if there's a leak.

It's not PoE, but powered by a charger.

Is there anyway to debug what's wrong?

Please provide your hub model (C7, C8, etc.) and its platform version from Settings>Hub Details.

Check out the following post for help troubleshooting problems and gathering details that will help others to identify and solve the problem you are experiencing: ‼ READ FIRST - Before Posting in Get Help

Is it powered by the OEM wall wart?

What do your logs say, app stats and device stats...

What 3rd party apps to you have installed?

Any wifi devices?

Are any of your devices doing power reporting?

Can you post a copy of your z-wave details page in it's entirety? (use windows snip)

Not that I am aware of.

Start with posting a screenshot of your Z-wave details screen, all columns and all rows.

2 Likes

For many of us, the Z-wave radios on the C-8 work exceptionally well. On my C-7, I had to use several Z-wave repeaters/range extenders. With the new Series 800 radio and external antenna on the C-8, 25 Z-wave devices concted directly with the hub and only two are going through repeaters/range extenders.

You might try swapping antennas and see if that helps. The Z-wave antenna should be on the side closest to the USB port. However, it might not make any difference at all.

Is your Hubitat hub in a good location? With only two Z-wave devices paired at this time, connections are likely going to be direct with the hub. Both Zigbee and Z-wave are designed to work as mesh systems, which means they tend to be more stable when there are numerous devices through which the signals can route. Your Neo water sensor is a battery powered device, so it cannot serve as a signal repeater. Having multiple devices that can serve as repeaters is a good thing as signals can be attenuated by such things as walls, piping, electrical wiringt, HVAC ducts, mirrors, heavy furniture, etc. Thus, having multiple routes can make things more stable. If you have other devices that you have not yet paired with Hubitat, you might try to pair them. Battery powered sensors won't help, but if you have things like mains powered smart switches, they can be helpful.

2 Likes

Correlation is not (always) causation :slight_smile: A Z-Wave device may cause, in rare situations, the Z-Wave radio to become unresponsive, but wouldn't cause the hub to drop off the network, or otherwise to stop working. Are you able to access the Diagnostic Tool? How are you pinging the hub? What does it take to bring the hub back online?

It is powered by the usb charger provided.

the only logs I have are devices reporting battery level every 12 or 24 hours or so.

no 3rd party apps.

no wifi devices.

all of them do power reporting except 1.

Hi, just posted it above.

My problem isn't lack of signal, but the device "hanging".

@bobbyD

Nothing works. I can confirm that the device just hangs, just like a computer.

It is getting totally booted off the network then. If the platform just crashed ping should still respond and the diagnostic tool would still work on port 8081.

Need to know all of this:

2 Likes

By power reporting I don't mean battery, I mean outlets that report voltage/wattage/amp use. They can be quite chatty.

Is all you have is 2 z-wave devices?

1 Like

@jtp10181

As stated earlier it hangs. No ping, no diagnostic, nothing. Connected devices also stop working. Actually one day instead of restarting I let the device just remain crashed and checked the logs if there was any activity - like battery report. There wasn't any.

It is connected via wifi, not LAN as I had to mvoe the device to another room. Previously it was LAN. As I type this, I just realized, could it be that wifi is the issue?

@rlithgow1 Nope, I don't have any such devices.

This is what I have

1 zwave neo coolcam water sensor.
1 zwave water valve shut off econet.
2 zigbee water sensors - third reality.

It very much sounds like it. You should be able to test by switching to Ethernet connection. Would you be able to do that?

Seems like it may be a weak mesh. You could put some repeaters nearby the sensors and see if it helps.

1 Like

Yes I know. I said IF the platform had crashed then ping would still respond. I was stating that the issue is not a platform crash but actually a networking issue.

3 Likes

@jtp10181 aah! I didn't know that. If it freezes again, I will use ehternet, so I can check out the ping.

That said, I tried the trick to swap the two antennas, and now it's been going strong for a week. I am gobsmacked why that even worked, but guess it did!

I restarted after a few days to see if it carries on again, and still working.

I am psoting this here, so the next person trying to fix this issue can find this.

But if it craps out again, and turns out it was a coincidence I will repost here.

Thank you all of you for the help. Very much appreciated.

@rwclements228

I tried swapping the antennas and it has not crashed in a week. I am seriously surprised this worked, but looks like it did. If it keeps going for a month, that means it surely was the issue.

I really, really hope this isn't a coincidence.

Thank you!

1 Like

it means the original antenna was defective and should be replaced

1 Like

It would be great if HE would sell replacement antennas - I'd absolutely pick up a couple spares just to have on hand.

I had my hub disconnected the other day for some cleaning and I fumbled getting it back in place, and I realized a fall the wrong way onto a hard floor could end poorly for those antennas.

1 Like