Does any one have experience with Centralite temp sensors?

I'm thinking about picking up a few of these just to monitor temps in some lesser used rooms and attic,

centralite zigbee devices have always been very good.

2 Likes

I like my NYCE sesnors

My only issue with them is they are slow to respond. So slow I couldn't use them as a "remote sensor" for my Pearl Thermostat.

Agreed.

I have never used the specific temperature monitor, but I have several SmartThings and Iris devices that were made by Centralite as part of their 3000 series of devices. They have performed reliably. I would not have an hesitation in purchasing the temp/RH sensor.

1 Like

How slow? I'm about to discard a Sonoff sensor, which updates every 5 minutes, and I'd like to try Centralite next. I'd say you need it to update the status as soon as the temperature changes by 0.5F in order to use it for thermostat control.

are they Zigbee, and can you provide a link? Can't find them at Amazon.

Sorry, I don't have my data any more.

From what I recall:

• The temperature seemed to be reasonable accuracy.
  • I don't recall the update rate.
  • They were solid performers while I had them.
  • My concern was the lag in actual temperature of the sensor when the room temperature changed. It seemed to me at the time to be too much lag to fix the problem of one room "cycling" too hot.

If I were only monitoring temperatures I would still have them.

Same concern. I need to use it with the Thermostat Control App to control HVAC. So it must update the temperature to the hub as soon as it detects temperature change, I assume in 0.5 degree intervals would be fine. Unless the Thermostat Control App has an ability to force the temperature readings from the sensor whenever it needs to - maybe I just don't understand how that app works.

I don't recall my exact test but I believe I put the thermostat outside ( it was in January based on my Amazon return). Let it stabilize ~ 2 - 3 hours.

Brought the sensor inside and watched how fast it changed. Again I wished I still had the data but I recall the response to this "step change" allowed me to calculate the lag in temperature readings. At that time I felt it was too slow.

Keep in mind this is a dynamic test. It has nothing to do with the basic temperature function which was fine. And my determination that I wanted something faster was more an educated guess that actual testing in our heating system. We have a boiler and baseboard hot water. This is much slower that what I assume you have is conditioned (hot to cold) air which will be faster than my heating system.

I received the below from Centralite. My recollection is the sensor didn't report every 0.1 °C change but had a 0.1°C resolution. I could be wrong here, perhaps @mike.maxwell can tell us what he sees.

I think a report of each 0.1°C change would report way too often and consume an inordinate amount of battery life.

John,
The 3310-C will turn on and report temperature changes every 0.1°C (1/10th degree Celsius) and humidity changes every 1% humidity. Keep in mind that while our sensor will turn on and report these changes to its ZigBee controller, we’re at the mercy of the controller or platform as to how accurately it will present these readings to you as the user. Many hubs will round to the nearest integer °F or °C, but the firmware for the 3310-C does force it to report every 0.1°C (≈0.18°F).
To answer the second half of your question—there isn’t a way to reconfigure the reporting interval of the 3310-C. But, there aren’t any use cases that we are aware of that a 0.1°C interval temp report wouldn’t provide a sufficient accuracy measure for.
What is your use case for the 3310-C? If you’d could provide some additional insight, we can provide additional guidance. Also, which platform/hub/controller are you using it with?
Happy New Year!
Thanks,
-Jason

https://www.nycesensors.com/

I do not have any specific Centralite temp sensors. However, I do have a Iris/Centralite motion sensor and an Iris/Centralite contact sensor. Both of them have temp sensors includes. I have them set to report on 0.5 degrees C change.

Room temperature does not change that rapidly. I have an Ecobee thermostat. I have three remote temperature sensors connected as well as the one in the thermostat itself. The remote sensors do not respond as rapidly as the other temp sensors throughout the house.

Do you think sonoff can be fixed with a driver update?

I have a few of those devices. They are extremely accurate. I placed them very close to each other and they were giving essentially identical readings, and those readings correlated very closely with a different digital temp/humidity device I also had near them. As far as how fast they update though, I can't really tell you that. This is what I have..

Funny you say that, I'm using an IRIS contact sensor as a remote temp sensor, and it responds rapidly (Gen 1, not Centralite). The only reason I wanted to replace it is to add humidity. I'm surprised that these outperform dedicated temp sensors.

Thanks for the insight. 0.1C reporting seems excessive. I'd say 0.5F/0.3C would be right.
I tested a Sonoff sensor by putting it in the fridge. It would still report only every 5 minutes despite being cooled rapidly. I will be returning it.

As I mentioned previously, I used putting it in the fridge and checking the events history to see the update rate.

Yes there is a custom community driver for Sonoff. I haven't tried it yet. I generally prefer to stay with built-in drivers to get full support.

How do I search for community drivers on the forums?

The Ecobee sensors are designed to be occupancy/temperature sensors, not motion/temperature sensors. Thus, they are not designed to respond quickly. Unless you locate a temperature sensor near a door leading to the outside, temperature changes usually occur quite gradually. Short on-off cycles are hard on HVAC equipment, so Ecobee designs the devices to respond slowly to prevent that from occurring.

I just pulled up the log on the multi-sensor in my home office. The temperature changed from 76.10 degrees F to 76.12 degrees F over a 6 minute period.

In my basement, the Iris motion sensor showed the temperature changed from 66.78 degrees F to 67.74 degrees F over a period of two hours.

I live in northern Illinois and my home is well insulated and has energy efficient windows, so my temperature may be more stable than some.