DNS bug in 2.2.5.119

I am pretty sure there is a DNS configuration issue in the latest update. Right after updating to 2.2.5.119, I received the "cloud connection is not available" notice. Immediately my web pinger apps and google integration also failed. I played with static IP and specifying a DNS, and then did some testing with my Sophos UTM router.

It appears that the latest update hardcodes the device to use Google 8.8.8.8 as the DNS, even if you entered a different DNS to use, or did not enter one in the first place. I use an internal DNS on my network, and block all outgoing attempts to all other known DNS addresses to try and thwart the upcoming DNS over TLS disaster, but that is another matter. The fact is that now the hubitat hammers away at 8.8.8.8, and as a bonus, restoring a previous firmware does not restore the DNS behavior.

Anyone who runs an internal DNS such as pi-hole users, or users who specify a non google DNS in their router are also probably affected.

3 Likes

interesting .. i knew it was setting 8.8.8.8 and ignoring the dhcp settings.. there already is a thread for this..

Firmware update 2.2.5 No Longer Resolving Internal Names? - Developers - Hubitat

are you saying that even if you turn off dhcp and hard code the ip and dns it is ignoring it... if so the bug is bigger than i imagined..

if so, for now the only workaround is to use ip addresses instead of names in apps etc until fixed.

Yea I looked at the other thread but didn't connect the two as I use ip addresses instead of names for my network devices, so everything internally like my cameras still showed up in my dashboard.

It's definitely ignoring the DNS entry, and not retrieving the default DNS from the gateway address either.

1 Like

Are you using static IP or DHCP configuration?

I have a port forward rule for all DNS requests that got to port 53 to be re-written to my internal DNS. That may explain why it's working for me on my test Hubitat.

And here is the hubitat ignoring the DHCP assigned DNS server you can see it's trying to use 8.8.8.8 and my router forwarded to my internal DNS.

1 Like

Not sure if that fits your needs, but with 2.2.5 you can also configure a static IP address (under Settings - Networking), which includes setting custom DNS server IP.

Cannot set a static address on the C4. My DHCP server hands out Hostname's, Time Server, Gateway, IP Address, domain name, DNS Servers etc. I know not all devices will set these parameters but it's a practice I have been doing for many years.

I wrote the port forwarding rules when I started to see IoT devices bypassing my secured DNS for other DNS servers like Google and some IP addresses in Asia. As we know that DNS is susceptible to man in the middle and poising attacks. There has even been mobile apps that used port 53 as their last gasp to send telemetry to their mother ships.

1 Like

That totally makes sense - and Networking configurator is not present on C4 anyway.

I also block "naughy" IoT devices from using hardcoded DNS and redirect to AdGuard (before this, PiHole). I see no network settings for my C4 hub.

Checking the logs in AdGuard, HE appears to be using the correct DNS (AdGuard), and nothing is being blocked through that aforementioned DNS block-redirect. I've also added service.cloud.hubitat.com to my allow list, though it wasn't blocked in the first place.

I'm not willing to change network settings only for HE -- is this a bug or is it intentional and will be a "problem" moving forward?

Victor (@gopher.ny) has confirmed in another thread on this subject this will be fixed in a the next minor release for 2.2.5.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/firmware-update-2-2-5-no-longer-resolving-internal-names/62925/24?u=danabw

2 Likes

2.2.4.120 has two new ways to set a DNS server:

so how does this work if we were on the prvious build using dhcp and we want to continue to use dhcp but use the recommend dns servers sent via dhcp, the link is not enough as my dhcp sends 3 different dhcp servers in order.

Just don't set any value - it's optional.

so it should override the 8.8.8.8 that is set and work correctly once rebooted. thanks.. i dont see this version out yet.. still in beta?

found it thanks. had to manually check.

not working.. upgraded. dhcp still shows 8.8.8.8
cannot blank it out.. when i do and switch away it fills in back in.. and switch to hdcp button does nothing as already on dhcp

i could try filling in dhcp again and switching but i need more than one

It's got to be the browser filling it back in.
Use http://hubs.ip.address.here/hub/advanced/resetResolvConf without parameter, it has the same immediate effect. It should return "ok"

no not working

also tried chrome instead of ie

\

can i put multiple in the dns override comma delimited?

i have to go out and get my vaccine .. .lucky me.. but when i get back i will try switching to static.. rebooting.. then switching back to dhcp.

dhcp sets the dns in this order

Not at this time. There will be an error message if parameter is not a valid IP address.

more info.. workaround worked..

removed overriden dns setting..
changed to static ip including dns.

rebooted..

switched back to dhcp

rebooted.

it now correctly shows ip and subnet and dns and says it is using dhcp.

not sure if it is using more than one dns as specified by dns server or if it ever did or anyway to know this

side note i have another hub in an empty house in mi, running 2.2.3 do you think it is safe to try an update at this time, or should i wait till we are at that location in june..

thanks