DIY z-wave remote garage door opener

I needed to replace the MyQ Hubitat drivers for my two garage doors. I tried the fingerbot solution, but I found that to be unreliable and it eats through batteries like crazy. Here is my simple cheap DIY z-wave solution that has been very solid for me... I'm basically using two 12V micro-DC push/pull solenoids ($3.24 on AliExress) each attached to its own ZooZ zwave electric plug that pushes the button on a liftmaster 3-button remote control. I created a simple Hubitat rule that basically turns off the electric of either electric plug after 2-seconds whenever it is turned on.

Because I also use Alexa to open/close the garage doors... I'm calling the garage doors "Car-Port one" and "Car-Port two". Alexa seems to have issues whenever I issue commands with the name "garage doors", hence the name of the doors. I've also written other-rules that pertain to my needs. I basically used Gorilla glue to put it all together! Simple, quick, cheap and reliable! Really cheap when most of it was put together with spare parts. I thought I would share this solution.

4 Likes

LOL .. Nice One .. I love "making" Stuff work nice job :slight_smile:
I bought a super cheap $20.00 ZigBee 2 channel relay for my garage doors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YY7XFS3

Works really well and works every time :slight_smile:
If I ever need to replace my garage door openers, I am not getting a smart garage door opener..
I'm sticking with the old dumb version. and using this relay. because it works so well..

1 Like

Does that work with Chamberlain and Liftmaster MyQ security+ 2.0 garage openers? I've never seen that solution before... but I'm so done with ZigBee... for whatever reasons, ZigBee sensors pair quickly on my Hubitat but unpair after a few days. Just like the fingerbot solution I tried. I'm tired of troubleshooting it so I'm just sticking with Zwave for now. And I agree... no more smart garage door openers. Not needed.

Sorry I do not know .. both my garage doors have OLD openers.
they use a standard button like a door bell uses,

No, that solution would not work with a security+ / 2.0 systems -- those need more brains to get around that stuff. Garadget can be used with a basic smart relay setup like WW's above or a Zen16 etc. ratgdo and konnected's blaQ are 2 examples of all-in-one devices that can handle sec + / 2.0.

I have a garage door with the security+ 2.0 openers. I took the openers off the wall and soldered wires onto the button, and a relay simulates pressing the button, so the security isn't an issue. That's the same thing the garadget does, but it cost nothing, assuming you have wire and a soldering iron.

1 Like

My gluing skills are better than my soldering skills... :grin:

2 Likes

While I applaud your ingenuity and the, umm, artistry of your project.
I suspect reliability may be less than optimal, maybe.
If so, here's some links for future reference.

1. DIY Garage Door
  2. Shelly Garage Door Opener
  3. Do-It-Yourself Security+ 2.0 Adapter
  4. LiftMaster MyQ Garage, The Easy Way!
  5. [RELEASE] Zooz Garage Door Opener

I prefer duct tape, it's more adjustable. :smiley:
possum lodge

1 Like

I don't know... like other people, I tried the fingerbot solution and that I found to be unreliable for me due to the zigbee. I'll certainly believe a solenoid linked to a Zwave electrical plug to be far more reliable anyway. Been using this solution for some time now... it's been very reliable, and it was cheap and easy... no soldiering, no real wiring or ladders required! And you can place it just about anywhere in your garage or house. I did though seriously consider the Zen16 solution... wasn't worth the $40 and the work for me. But the Zen solution would be my favorite.