DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

Cool, I’ll take a look and see if it meets the minimum specs.

I use digikey, mouser and RS - hopefully they’ll have it.

Aus to USA & Canada is $17.95 USD

If this turns out to be a "Go" It might be worthwhile to ship all those going to one country in a single package. Then one of the receivers could break it apart and ship the individual units domestically. However I don't know the cost of shipping the larger package.

OR, for those who don't mind a little soldering. Perhaps you could ship the boards without the battery holder. Again I'm thinking of ways to reduce international shipping.

I'm in the USA and am good at soldering (not volunteering at this stage). I don't know how difficult it would be to get all together, how many will really come through.

1 Like

The UPS's will only be about 50 grams each completed and I can ship up to 499 grams for $17.95 USD to the US and Canada - so if a bunch of you get together, I could easily ship one of you roughly 5-8 units for that price (including packaging weight).

After looking at the datasheets for a bunch of alternates, I believe you are correct - the specific model that should fit the bill is the SIRA88DP-T1-GE3.

EDIT: Scratch that, after some more research I found the SIR462DP-T1-GE3 is an even better match.

2 Likes

A thought crossed my mind and I just wanted to ask to be sure.

Does this have any method of data output that would go through the USB cord. I am just thinking about something like if Hubitat could watch the battery and shutdown gracefully if it gets low or notifications if there are signs the battery is failing. I am still 100% in if not, but just wondering if that is anywhere in the relm of possibility. I am just not clear on how sophisticated of a bms this will be. I am also dont have high hope of it aince we are talking about lithium ion batteries.

Howdy, It doesn't and even if it did, the Hubitat would need special drivers or something to utilise it.

That said, I'd recommend following my Guide to shutdown gracefully:

1 Like

Ok, All the PCB's and Parts to build 20 units have been ordered. It'll prolly take up to 20 days to get the PCB's and Stencil, however, all the other parts should have arrived by then.

My Original estimate was spot on so what I'll do is list the UPS on my Tindie Store @ $49.95 USD and post a 15% Discount code to bring the price down to ~ $42 USD for Hubitat forum members.

4 Likes

With the hand-delivery and install I heard you promised, that's quite a deal! Don't worry, I'll have some Budweiser on hand so you can sample rare American beer... :wink:

1 Like

Yuuuck, that stuff is as bad as Fosters, if not worse! I'll have some nice 8% craft beer thanks mate!

(The beers I sampled in Santa Barbara in 2019 were amazing!)

1 Like

I agree :slight_smile: In this design the MosFet is so overkill that nearly any device that fit in the footprint would work.

2 Likes

Doesn’t hurt that it’s cheaper either :rofl:

That footprint is an interesting one tho, seems unique to Vishay.

Another option is to have something like a Ring V2 extender on the same circuit. That way if power goes, the Ring V2 extender to battery for x amount of time, you can have the hub shut down gracefully.

1 Like

Agreed, anything that can provide grid up or down status and can be used by Hubitat will work.

1 Like

Too bad you couldn't build in some kind of zigbee chip that would show power to battery.... Now that would be cool..

1 Like

It would indeed, unfortunately I know nothing about how Zigbee works. Interesting idea tho. :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe incorporate @iharyadi's arrival sensor chip in it. I mean it has all the prerequisite triggers. Wouldn't need an external antenna. Again, I'm talking out of my butt because I don't know what would go into the engineering. I know it raises the price, but overall it wouldn't be limited to just HE, but any trigger-able hub.

1 Like

I’ll take a look, however the PCB’s have already been ordered so it’ll need to be a future revision.

Tbh as long as it presents as a simple binary state it would work. Eg on/off or present/not present.

1 Like

Well if you do it, put me down for the advanced one too

2 Likes

It does...

1 Like

I just posted this. See this link if interested.FOR SALE - Mini UPS for Hubitat

1 Like