Discussion about the C7

I don't seem to have any ghosts at the moment - at least none that appear as empty nodes in the zwave details. The one I had wasn't able to be removed with the "Remove" button, so I finally bought a UZB stick and used the instructions @danabw wrote to remove it. It worked great after that for several days. I'm really not sure what is happening - if I go into Zwave details, I'll see "Failed" devices which work fine. On the other hand, I have an Aeon minimote in "OK" status but button pushes aren't registering at all. My Aeon nanomote, which worked fine last night and is currently showing "OK" in zwave details is also not working right now. My ceiling fan, which uses a Vision in-wall relay, shows "Not responding" (and many times even Failed) but has never actually not worked.

Battery powered devices will show as failed but that's just because they're taking a nap and not an issue. Some screenshots would be helpful.

3 Likes

Likewise for Non Responding. If a device misses a check-in because is sleeping, is marked non-responding. If it continues to sleep, it will be marked as failed. The best way to validate that the device is healthy, is to wake it up. So for a motion sensor means to walk in front of it and confirm that it reports the status change on Device Detail page.

3 Likes

Why did SiLabs do the spec this way? I kinda get the "non-responding" bit but they could have added a first level like "sleeping/temp unavailable". Seems tone deaf at best and misleading at worst... and best of all YOU guys have to deal with the fallout!!! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

The ones showing failed or not responding are typically the powered devices, like my ceiling fan. Though it regularly shows "failed," I have never had it not work - it always works. Right now, I only have 2 battery-powered Zwave devices on my C7 (a minimote and nanomote) and neither work while ironically showing "OK" in Zwave details. I mean, I can replace those with Pico remotes so it isn't the end of the world, but I already had them and they were working fairly well (though the nanomote was having occasional issues) the last few weeks.

This morning, there are 5 "Not responding" and 1 "Failed" device but I haven't gone through each yet to determine if they're really working. My Back Porch lights, which have an in-wall Aeon nano switch, definitely isn't working correctly because when that switch is flipped, a string of patio lights is supposed to trigger. That has not happened for a couple of days now. I have several other nano switches and to my knowledge, they're all working fine.

These issues have been going on for several weeks now but I did have a power outage the other day and it definitely seems worse since then. I thought I had my C7 plugged into a UPS, but unfortunately I did not and will remedy that quickly. Anyway, I think there is a way to "fix" the database or perform an integrity check - is that correct? I did have a power outage a couple of days ago and it seems to be worse since then, though these problems have been occurring off and on for the last 2-3 weeks.

You can do a soft reset.. which seems scarier than it is..

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

1 Like

It seems to be devices that the SDK isn't aware of the wake interval or isn't aware it is a sleepy device.. It's supposed to go not/responding / failed after 3 missed wake intervals.. I'm looking into how to combat this ..

Non sleepy devices this is done through periodic NOP (pings) ..

3 Likes

Is this the same for mains powered devices @bcopeland. I had zwav3 ge in wall switch die a couple of weeks ago. I've been waiting for it to go failed but it just sits at not responding. Hesitant to force remove as I don't want any scary ghosts.

1 Like

Have you tried hitting the refresh button on the node? Sometimes they are in a failed state but the failed node list from the sdk hasn’t been sent.

I have not. I have just been waiting patiently for it to go failed. My zwave network has been working ok so did not want to junk anything up making storms or causing zwave busy errors.

I was working on the assumption the hub should get it sorted given enough time.

Clicking refresh .. just forces and update of what the sdk is holding to the hub software.. It's safe..

1 Like

I'm unfortunately in the same position. I had high hopes for Hubitat, and still wish them success, but I'm forced to look at alternatives. At this point I have removed all code from the C7 except the bare minimum Hubitat provided code required for any real integration. I've confirmed a clean mesh network with a sniffer, to the best of my ability, I've added and removed repeaters, I've verified drivers, I've removed every rule and automation into NR external to the hub, I've replaced GE devices with Innovelli. I've turned off NR and all external Maker calls, you name it...

Support has attempted to provide some scripted guidance but nobody has been able to explain why, while slowness of 30 seconds to complete lack of response is occurring, I see devices such as motion sensors updating in the logs (clean), but going into the Hubitat GUI and turning a ZWave device on or off / flash (using a sniffer to verify) doesn't generate a single packet from the hub to the network. Reboot... all good for a few hours to a day.

At this point the family is over it. For the first time in 5 or 6 years of home automation they've simply asked if it can all be turned off, packed up and the whole HA effort abandoned. I've invested more hours in HA since moving to the C7 than in the last few years combined.

Really sucks because I like the mission, the simplicity... I do hope they are successful. I heard great things about the hub, mainly from C5 users, and their support and the organization before making the change from ST. Unfortunately, it just hasn't been my experience.

6 Likes

My "Back Porch Light" is an Aeotec nano switch and showed "NOT RESPONDING." I clicked "Refresh" and it showed "OK" status. However, Hubitat isn't reading the physical toggle so when I flip the light switch on, automations are not occurring. I did reset the circuit breaker to see if that helps but I'm still in the same position.

Is there anything in the logs when this happens.. Also is this a nano or a dual nano?

I believe that there is an actual bug here, presumably down in the SDK. I have battery powered sensors that sometimes go through day long phases of being marked as not responding even though they have a wakeup interval of 12 hours and are actively sending measurements every 15 min or less. When a measurement comes in, the device will be marked as ok, and return to not responding a few minutes later. Even re-powering the device does not fix the issue.

I have not been able to discern a trigger for the start, or end, of this behavior.

1 Like

The single relay nano. I'll have to run a test a little later to see if anything is in the logs.

1 Like

You are correct here, as this is coming from the SDK and the gui is just reporting it. I have identified the root cause and am looking for a solution to inform the SDK of the appropriate wake intervals et al of the device.

In the mean time 2.2.4 will be arriving soon and will give a tremendous amount of z-wave diagnostic information.

7 Likes

Please keep me updated.. I’m sure we can fix this. It’s usually something simple that was missed.

1 Like

That's awesome Bryan. Thank you.

4 Likes

Since you already have a C-7, can I urge you to consider postponing that decision until platform 2.2.4 is released? From everything that @bcopeland has indicated, it has a large number of z-wave fixes.

4 Likes