Discussion about the C7

I fully believe RadioRa is more reliable overall though - probably by quite a margin. Just for the record. :slight_smile:

If I were starting from scratch, it would be hard to not go that route (other than cost, of course).

5 Likes

Back on topic, when is 2.2.4 coming out - other than when it's ready?

(runs for cover, laughing hysterically)

11 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Alternatives to Z-Wave

Ya it would be nice to know are we days away or months? Maybe too much is trying to be included in the next release?

1 Like

i have two houses one with 70 zwave devices once with 89..

the one with 89 devices 22 are lighting related, the rest are switches sensors etc.

Working fine for me albeit slower than zigbee.. But it was not easy building the meshes, especially with the older firmware.. and the ghost nodes..

so it can work. and can work for lighting as well..

I've got an Aeotec Repeater 7 which I haven't yet added because I'm afraid it will hose everything else. However, I may just try it and see what happens.

The Aeotec Repeater 7 is a good product. Only reason I replaced mine was to get the Ring Extender 2 devices that have built-in battery backup to keep my mesh up during power fail.

1 Like

i think you may need to add it in s2 to work with the s2 garage door but not sure

Once paired, non-S0/S2 repeaters can repeat for S0/S2 devices.

Really the only thing that can't happen is direct device to device Associations between secure and non-secure paired devices.

2 Likes

I know they can repeat but dont think they can handle beaming.. and not sure if the garage device uses that .. i know door locks in secure mode do?

I wanted to follow up on your open ticket, but since you created this thread, I will reply here, first. I totally understand your frustration and we know that ghost removal has been a sore subject since C7 launched. We believe that this issue is resolved in the next release. To answer to your last email, we are equally eager to see the next release available to public. While I do not have a time-frame, if testing goes well, it will not be long before the update is available.

With that being said, based on our research, throwing repeaters at your system may not help as much as. Knowing that you have ghosts, I recommend not performing Z-Wave repairs while these are present in your system. I would also screen your logs for any excessive logging from devices, which may be indicative of problems with that particular device. Also, using built-in drivers where possible may help. Lastly, I noticed that a LAN connected device often times out. This alone can make your hub unresponsive at times. If you use integrations like Chromecast, I recommend disabling those temporarily to see if your problem goes away.

3 Likes

All 700 series mains powered devices support beaming repeating ..

So aeotec 7 and ring gen 2 do for sure.

3 Likes

I think the nuance was whether or not a non-secure paired device (that supports beaming, obviously) can beam to/for an S0/S2 device. I think it can, but that is nuance I'm not positive of.

1 Like

Ah.. Yes.. This makes no difference.. routing and beaming is handled below the security layer.. So you can mix and match security grants with no fear.

4 Likes

That's what I thought I remembered. But I'm old, I forget things.

2 Likes

LOL ... also @bcopeland keep me honest here but I also recall a nuance with NWI and security devices that NWI wont work if going through a non-secure repeater.

1 Like

Not true.. Repeaters don’t even see the security parts when routing.. It’s just another command class as far as they are concerned

1 Like

But.. Not all devices pre 700 support NWI.. It was optional on 500 series

1 Like

Most plus devices I’ve seen do support it.. But it was optional so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Like @JasonJoel said.. I'm old and I forget things... just vaguely remember some issues with NWI and security and yes that was with 500 series not 700. As you said not all 500 series even supported NWI so it was always hit or miss.

2 Likes