Discussion about the C7

Ah, this thread has made me feel better.. I thought I was going crazy. I only have 1 (one) zwave device on my C7 and it rarely worked. Even if the zwave sensor is within 10 feet of the C7 it doesn't report any state changes to the C7.

I thought "Well, maybe this sensor died." (Fibaro ZW5) So I bought a Aeotec Multisensor 6

Same deal, it'll join the network, but never report any state changes after the initial report.

So, the Back Porch Light currently shows OK. So I pulled up the logs screen and ran downstairs and toggled the switch several times. There isn't a single entry in the logs for that device. Interestingly, the routing for this device is really bizarre - it is probably 20 ft from the hub through 1 wall, but the traffic for the device is routing from C7 to my wife's office Inovelli switch (upstairs and probably 25-30 ft from hub) and then from Inovelli to the Back Porch Light (probably 30 ft away, down one floor, and through a couple of walls. I'll have to check the documentation for the nano switch but in terms of programmability of the actual device, I think the only option was type of switch.

At this stage, I suppose I don't have much to lose by excluding it and readding the device if I have to.

I would sincerly love to but I've been back and forth with support for nearly a month or more (in their defense I've been out of pocket and my responses have taken a few days) but all I get is the scripted "remove your apps", "must be your mesh", "must be your driver" responses. Each time results in more time and effort on my side. With the indication from support, minus what I see on the forums, clearly indicating the issue is on my side and no reference to a systemic problem or rough timeline for a fix I'm in a tough spot. If it is me I know ST will work... at some point I just have to stop the bleeding and support has made it pretty clear I'm the issue despite ZWave radio lockups / pauses that I've experienced and seen reported here many times + no indication on whether 2.2.4 is days, weeks or months away.

I'm not trying to beat-up support and I'm not arrogant enough to rule out a possible issue on my side but I'm really struggling to find it. All I know is ST worked really well & many other people are reporting similar issues on the forums. If I go back I know things will work. I only changed because of the new policy and app migration + some great feedback from other users. Now that I've been forced to move everything into NR and remove every piece of custom code from Hubitat this is less of an issue.

1 Like

I have several older Aeotec power plugs. They worked flawlessly on SmartThings. They have generally worked OK on the C7, but one of the devices which is in Failed status and doesn't seem to be working is literally in the same room and less than 20 ft.

Can you post a screenshot of your settings zwave details?

You are probably thinking along the same lines I am... If it is a non-plus Z-Wave device, the status won't necessarily update without a refresh or polling it.

Currently no "Failed" devices are showing, but give it time. Several of the "OK" devices aren't working either.

The older zwave 0x25 are likely causing a lot of your heartburn. Enabling polling will speed up reporting but if you poll too many devices it will bog down your mesh. Is this the full list of devices?

1 Like

Yes, those are my current Zwave devices on the C7. I have been afraid to add any more.

I guess I should say that for the most part, the zwave mesh worked "OK" (with a few minor glitches) until the day I added my Monoprice tilt sensor. That's what caused the Ghost device which I eventually had to forcibly remove. Once I did that, things started working pretty good for a few days and then suddenly, for reasons I still can't explain, everything started getting really weird.

0x0B (011) What device and model is this one?

That's an Inovelli Black Series switch.

All of the 0x25 devices are older Aeotec DSC06106 devices except the ceiling fan, which is the Monoprice/Vision in-wall relay. Interestingly, that ceiling fan never fails to work regardless of the status in the zwave settings.

Which firmware are you running on this switch? Version 1.48 Fixed: S2 bootstrapping issue. Improves S2 compatibility with 700 series hubs like Hubitat C-7. Can use S2 authenticated.

I haven't upgraded the device firmware and don't know how to tell the version, as I don't see it listed in the device properties. I do know Inovelli was having issues with S2 authentication but thought I added it without the authentication.

Highly unusual.. Could you try and hit the configure button in the driver to see if something got missed in the initial setup?

Correct it is using S2 unauthenticated. I did the same when I installed my Innovelli Red's but went back and rejoined with S2 authenticated after updating the firmware. The firmware update definitely helped.

One possible explanation (and I'll have to pull the cover off the switch) is that for the nano, I believe toggling the switch 4 times in rapid succession puts it in pairing mode. It's possible my wife was frustrated and did this and just didn't mention it to me. Would a device which enters pairing mode still show as "OK" in the Zwave settings and be non-functional?

It’s possible.. As long as it responds to a NOP (ping) it will show as OK

More than happy to help get everything cleaned up and running smoothly but should probably take it to its own thread or messages.

I really appreciate your offer of help. I think maybe it's wise just to wait for the next firmware and maybe I can try fiddling with some of the devices in the interim.