Discussion about the C7

I've got an Aeotec Repeater 7 which I haven't yet added because I'm afraid it will hose everything else. However, I may just try it and see what happens.

The Aeotec Repeater 7 is a good product. Only reason I replaced mine was to get the Ring Extender 2 devices that have built-in battery backup to keep my mesh up during power fail.

1 Like

i think you may need to add it in s2 to work with the s2 garage door but not sure

Once paired, non-S0/S2 repeaters can repeat for S0/S2 devices.

Really the only thing that can't happen is direct device to device Associations between secure and non-secure paired devices.

2 Likes

I know they can repeat but dont think they can handle beaming.. and not sure if the garage device uses that .. i know door locks in secure mode do?

I wanted to follow up on your open ticket, but since you created this thread, I will reply here, first. I totally understand your frustration and we know that ghost removal has been a sore subject since C7 launched. We believe that this issue is resolved in the next release. To answer to your last email, we are equally eager to see the next release available to public. While I do not have a time-frame, if testing goes well, it will not be long before the update is available.

With that being said, based on our research, throwing repeaters at your system may not help as much as. Knowing that you have ghosts, I recommend not performing Z-Wave repairs while these are present in your system. I would also screen your logs for any excessive logging from devices, which may be indicative of problems with that particular device. Also, using built-in drivers where possible may help. Lastly, I noticed that a LAN connected device often times out. This alone can make your hub unresponsive at times. If you use integrations like Chromecast, I recommend disabling those temporarily to see if your problem goes away.

3 Likes

All 700 series mains powered devices support beaming repeating ..

So aeotec 7 and ring gen 2 do for sure.

3 Likes

I think the nuance was whether or not a non-secure paired device (that supports beaming, obviously) can beam to/for an S0/S2 device. I think it can, but that is nuance I'm not positive of.

1 Like

Ah.. Yes.. This makes no difference.. routing and beaming is handled below the security layer.. So you can mix and match security grants with no fear.

4 Likes

That's what I thought I remembered. But I'm old, I forget things.

2 Likes

LOL ... also @bcopeland keep me honest here but I also recall a nuance with NWI and security devices that NWI wont work if going through a non-secure repeater.

1 Like

Not true.. Repeaters don’t even see the security parts when routing.. It’s just another command class as far as they are concerned

1 Like

But.. Not all devices pre 700 support NWI.. It was optional on 500 series

1 Like

Most plus devices I’ve seen do support it.. But it was optional so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Like @JasonJoel said.. I'm old and I forget things... just vaguely remember some issues with NWI and security and yes that was with 500 series not 700. As you said not all 500 series even supported NWI so it was always hit or miss.

2 Likes

I don't seem to have any ghosts at the moment - at least none that appear as empty nodes in the zwave details. The one I had wasn't able to be removed with the "Remove" button, so I finally bought a UZB stick and used the instructions @danabw wrote to remove it. It worked great after that for several days. I'm really not sure what is happening - if I go into Zwave details, I'll see "Failed" devices which work fine. On the other hand, I have an Aeon minimote in "OK" status but button pushes aren't registering at all. My Aeon nanomote, which worked fine last night and is currently showing "OK" in zwave details is also not working right now. My ceiling fan, which uses a Vision in-wall relay, shows "Not responding" (and many times even Failed) but has never actually not worked.

Battery powered devices will show as failed but that's just because they're taking a nap and not an issue. Some screenshots would be helpful.

3 Likes

Likewise for Non Responding. If a device misses a check-in because is sleeping, is marked non-responding. If it continues to sleep, it will be marked as failed. The best way to validate that the device is healthy, is to wake it up. So for a motion sensor means to walk in front of it and confirm that it reports the status change on Device Detail page.

3 Likes

Why did SiLabs do the spec this way? I kinda get the "non-responding" bit but they could have added a first level like "sleeping/temp unavailable". Seems tone deaf at best and misleading at worst... and best of all YOU guys have to deal with the fallout!!! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

The ones showing failed or not responding are typically the powered devices, like my ceiling fan. Though it regularly shows "failed," I have never had it not work - it always works. Right now, I only have 2 battery-powered Zwave devices on my C7 (a minimote and nanomote) and neither work while ironically showing "OK" in Zwave details. I mean, I can replace those with Pico remotes so it isn't the end of the world, but I already had them and they were working fairly well (though the nanomote was having occasional issues) the last few weeks.

This morning, there are 5 "Not responding" and 1 "Failed" device but I haven't gone through each yet to determine if they're really working. My Back Porch lights, which have an in-wall Aeon nano switch, definitely isn't working correctly because when that switch is flipped, a string of patio lights is supposed to trigger. That has not happened for a couple of days now. I have several other nano switches and to my knowledge, they're all working fine.

These issues have been going on for several weeks now but I did have a power outage the other day and it definitely seems worse since then. I thought I had my C7 plugged into a UPS, but unfortunately I did not and will remedy that quickly. Anyway, I think there is a way to "fix" the database or perform an integrity check - is that correct? I did have a power outage a couple of days ago and it seems to be worse since then, though these problems have been occurring off and on for the last 2-3 weeks.