Discussion about 'smart' appliances

I have a Samsung washer/dryer that is wifi connected, and what I found annoying was the inability to control the dryer, I can only control the washer and monitor the dryer. They say it is unsafe to trigger gas controlled appliances remotely (I'm not saying that but Samsung is).

Anyway I was surprised your oven allows you to preheat...

We have a GE Profile oven, and while we didn't buy it for it's "Smart Features" we are hooked on being able to pre-heat, change temperature, or turn off using voice is pretty great. And, yes it does automatically set the clock. Using the SmartHQ community app allowed me to setup a notification if the range is left on. I have a tendency to leave a burner on after cooking. Yes, that's dumb. But, now I get safety reminder notifications on my phone as well as the Echo in the kitchen says "The kitchen range has been on for 45 minutes." So, it seems dumb, but smart is pretty cool actually. But, I wouldn't pay a ton extra for it. It just came with the model we liked.

1 Like

We have whirlpool appliance that are remote enabled. For the washer and dryer it's the biggest joke, because you can set all the cycle settings in the app, but you still have to go to the machine to actually start them, what's the point?

The oven on the other had lets you do anything gin the app you can do on the control panel, including pre heat, but I will find more often than not we do it all on the appliance itself.

The IoT intensifies....

(did not mention the pee analyzer device that sits in your toilet bowl but that seems kinda useful)

That's what I've been missing.... hoping the C-8 can keep on top of that for me.... Providing all the local notifications of my progress..... To those who (are not present) need to know....

1 Like

I bet you could trigger some interesting routines with that data!

(theme from Rocky starts playing)

2 Likes

Would definitely need some required expressions for late night "events" that I did not want to trigger any automations... :wink:

1 Like

I've done the same type of reminders for my home-brew smart cooktop, but also find a visual indication is very helpful, so I mounted an LED strip on the kick-plate below the kitchen cabinets that lights up bright red when any burner is on. You can see it from different areas in the kitchen and family room, bright enough to be easily visible during the day. Very helpful.

I'm not sure I'd feel so very smart if I paid $1K for a mixer...

The GE Profile Smart Mixer retails for $1,000...

2 Likes

I just replaced a jurassic Kenmore washer & dryer with a smart LG set. No major complaints; I like having Echo announce the cycle completions and can now retire the two vibration sensors and app I used with the old pair to generate notifications. Supposedly the washer communicates with the dryer, giving it hints about drying requirements, and there's 24 downloadable wash cycles (the skeptic in me would love to know if there is any difference between the 'collars and cuffs' cycle and the one for 'collar stains').

But how ridiculous that on the new dryer the interior light is programmed to turn on only when the door is opened within a couple of minutes of the end of cycle.. if you miss that time window, the interior stays dark when the door open is open unless you turn on the dryer and then click on the drum light switch on the control panel, holding it for three seconds. Evidently in response to the bafflement of users, LG needed to create a 50 second YouTube video specifically to address this process.

No way an automation will fix that... heck, even in 1999 it was obvious that 'light on when door open' was a good idea.

1 Like

Geez man - it's not about YOU being smart - it's the appliance, silly.

Also:

2 Likes

IF $pee changes (peeing) turn on all lights
Then exit

3 Likes

Not really in this market segment. Very few consumer level devices support POE, and that is what this is targeted at.

Adding POE increases size (for heat dissipation reasons) on passively cooled devices (which this is), and adds cost for a feature that will only be used by a small % of target customers.

Shoot, outside of the "pro-sumer" or professional installer market, how many average consumers even have POE switches? Not many. Yes, I could use POE if it had it, but the average home user wouldn't.

Now, if they wanted multiple SKU and made a "pro" or "installer" version (at a commiserate price point of course), then yes I think that version should have POE.

2 Likes

I saw an article this morning about a Smart Dog collar that monitors your dog's health?!

Don't tell my wife!

3 Likes

Well that could be good for monitoring things like getting out of the yard, sustained injuries, overheating, exhaustion etc.. depends on what the device can check for I guess.

I use this with my beagle, FitBark GPS Dog Health Monitor. Great peice of mind if she ever gets out of the fenced in yard.

Here is the article. Doesn't seem to have GPS . Life360 does offer a device that you can attach to a collar that does, and isn't Bluetooth dependent.
CES 2023: AI smart collar aims to take the guesswork out of your dog’s health with real-time alerts | Fox Business

I'll have to look at that when I get home. It may be something to recommend to the rescues we work with for dogs when they are on transport. My personal dogs are too lazy to leave the couch much less the yard!! although it would be cool to ask Siri, Alexa, google "where is fido?" ... "Fido is in the back yard". Who wants to write that app?? :laughing:

1 Like

I've applied for the FitBark developer API but haven't heard anything back, lol.

It seems more like it would be better as a temporary monitoring solution for a veterinarian after a dog's surgery or during recovery.

Without GPS it's kind of useless day to day.. so you know your pet is in trouble but don't know where.

1 Like