Discussion about MOCA, WiFi, and PowerLine Extenders

RSSI cares not about your sight lines. The human eye can clearly see 100 feet. 5Ghz Wi-Fi dies at less than half/quarter that (depending on house build). It's worse than z-wave :laughing: Like Z-wave you want speed/stability on 5G add boosters of some sort. Unless you have studio apartment, then your good with your router alone.

1 Like

Putting a booster in between my router and my computer, which are separated by 18 feet of open air, seems crazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

agreed, if your pulling that at 18 feet it is most likely a hardware limitation.

Or like the HP I just opened and repaired only has one of two antenna wires. Way to go HP!!

90% of all laptops are garbage, and have no business being sold in 2020.

Mac aside, but again spend $1500 on a PC laptop and you'll be in that 10%

I would also recommend MOCA adapters and can vouch for the fact that I consistently get about 940Mb to my Amplifi units (Amplifi HD routers have 4 ethernet ports on the back). I am also using an old Apple Extreme basically as a switch to get ethernet to a TV and Apple TV.

It's a bit tricky to set up (the ATT U-Verse tech essentially said that they would not support it and I was on my own) but it has worked for over a year. The basic set up is at the following link:
https://community.amplifi.com/topic/1195/hd-mesh-router-connected-using-actiontec-bonded-moca-2-0-ethernet-to-coax-adapter/14

Hope this helps.

I have some of the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 bonded adapters in service, too. Have been very fast and reliable for me.

Also have one of the Motorola MoCA 2.0 adapters in service, and it works, too.

1 Like

Moca is awsome. I get 470mbps of possible 500mbps. I borrowed my friends moca 2.0, before I spent $500 for wired Ethernet. Wish I didn’t. I got about 800mbps, same on both.

Bottom line, if you can bite$120 now for Two. Then later bribe ur kids tell them Ethernet will cost $500 to run to their room but you love them and will do it for $300 in car washes. After the initial $120, it’s “only” $60 for a new wired room. Also because moca isn’t already “split” you can split it. So you might only need 1 between the two of them. Also, soonish, I feel you’ll NEED wired Ethernet or a $500 WiFi system anyway. I have a feeling Apple, Netflix etc are going to offer real 4K soon.
Even if you need WiFi for like iPads etc, moca is still awsome, because you can plug a wireless acess point in. OVERKILL, yes, but a $70 ap on each floor will provide a much better WiFi than a $500 WiFi router in your attic.

1 Like

$120 https://www.gocoax.com/buy-now

3 Likes

Thanks @TechMedX, you inspired me. I returned my Velops ax and bought 2 Tp-link devices. I spent 1/3 and had very good results...

1 Like

i have no router, just a small puck with only usb charging for wifi atm.

I have wifi only ATM (no ethernet access as I'm using a hotspot device for a few more months)

Can someone recommend a wifi extender/booster I can use to add ethernet ports to my network?

My reason for going with a booster is once I have good wired internet, I will be in need of an extender anyway so this purchase won't be useless or short term.

I'm hoping to plug my hue bridge and hubitat into ethernet (unless hubitat doesnt need ethernet?)

I’m a big fan of ASUS WiFi devices.

Hubitat recently added the ability to use a WiFi dongle, though. Personally I wouldn’t connect my hub to the LAN via WiFi unless there was no other option.

3 Likes

@phoebechese0

I’m seconding @marktheknife’s suggestion. Most ASUS WiFi routers can be configured as WiFi extenders, and you can connect ethernet devices to the LAN ports.

2 Likes

I have the ASUS AXE11000 and it's probably the strongest signal I've gotten out of several different routers recently. I get usable signal all the way out to the mailbox 3 houses down and across the street with the router in the middle of my house. It's pretty expensive though and way overkill for most people. I don't buy routers very often, so figured this would suffice for the next 10 years or so.

1 Like