Differences Between C-5 and C-7?

Nothing wrong with that! I enjoy the same activity often. lol

It has certainly been the case in the past, that many Tech vendors have needlessly upgraded their hardware in order to "goose up" revenues. As someone here pointed out, that may have been the unstated cause for Samsung ST move from the V2 to V3 hub.
Many of us here have requested a "PRO" version of the Hubitat Hub.
Even though it would not be suitable for many, if not most of the current clientele, it would appeal to a certain segment of the population (depending on price, of course). It could be viewed as a "hardware upgrade" - weather or not it was required. Many would jump at the chance and purchase it immediately. It would be accretive to overall revenues, and therefore a "win" for the company.

Amazon.com is now indicating the C-5 will be back in stock as of June 7th. Still nothing on Amazon.ca, but this isn't surprising. I just ordered directly from Hubitat and will have mine on Friday.

2 Likes

Wait, it that a rack of "pi's" running on POE??
What are the Pi's, the 3 or the 4?
Cool !

Pi 4s, no POE though. I couldn't fit the POE hat in the mounts I wanted to use.

1 Like

So... I notice on the Hubitat web site that they are now selling the C-7... But still no one has an idea what is the difference between the C-5 and C-7, or the information is elsewhere... I'll have to keep looking I guess...

Edit: Okay, found it:

1 Like

I'd have particularly liked one that allowed a fixed IP. I know today's way is to set it on the router instead, but I have a Hub One that I am not interested in changing, and you can't release a reserved IP unless the device that used it is still listed in the connections. Means if you forget to release it when decommissioning the device you can't see or release the reserved IP, which means a router reset and bang - you've lost all the rest of your reservations too

Why not just use a different IP address? I'm assuming you're not out of available IP address reservations. Most people really do set IP reservations at the DHCP server level.

1 Like

And the ones that don't, should. :smiley:

6 Likes

No, but it's a dumb ISP-provided modem. I had been setting devices to have router-set IPs, without realising the router did not have a tool in its options to clear them unless you could actually see the device in the recent login list. So over time I had thrown out faulty devices without reconnecting them to clear their reserved IP. Then when I went to add a camera one day, I accidentally assigned an IP that was already assigned to some old device - by simply editing the IP field when the device was connected - you see I wanted it in a different range not the one it had been given. This usually works, but on this occasion the router accepted my edit, but when the device was rebooted and went to connect, the router was offering the IP and then not letting it connect with that IP. There is no option on the router UI to list reserved IPs. Everything had to be reset!! Actually... maybe it is time we upgraded the router. It sounds incredibly stupid when written down :o

2 Likes

If you have the ability, you could always create a virtual machine and then change the MAC address to the one that is reserved. Then spin it up, you shouldn't even need an OS (maybe), and then you can remove it.

Yes though, a new router would be better.

The advantage of setting the IP on the device itself is that if you need to swap out your router, there is very little work to be done, and if you buy a new device you just have the one thing to set IP on at a time. I had been keeping a table of assigned IPs, and if I had actually consulted it at the time there would have been no problem :smiley:

That is assuming your new router has same subnet if not then you would still need to configure the router.. or the device.

I think reserved is a bit more flexible since I don't need to physically access the device to make changes. Usually it's easier to get to the router. :grin:

2 Likes

This 100%. I'd go further and say it is a lot more flexible.

3 Likes

I am my router built in DHCP server is crap. Any ideas what else could be my DHCP server?

Do you have anything that will run DNSmasq? Like an RPi, or NAS, or anything else? Makes a great DNS/DHCP server.

I have a RPi that is powered of the same back up as the router and is only there to remote into my network with TeamViewer. Would that do?

Do a ipconfig /all from a windows machine.

You will see it.

1 Like

Definitely. It doesn't take much by way of processing power at all.

2 Likes

If you don't want to change out the dumb modem (I know it is a hassle) and if it is possible to tell the dumb modem to not hand out IP addresses at all then you could use any other cheap router to do just that job.