Differences Between C-5 and C-7?

As of Dec 12, 2019 Hubitat files FCC paperwork for Hardware revision C-7. However there website does not seem to track nor show any differences between their different hardware revision. Does anyone have any insight as to what the C-7 revision gets users?

I don't believe it has been "officially" announced. I haven't heard any rumors . . .

Oh man. I certainly don’t need another hub.... but I’ll just have to buy it anyways when it comes out :joy:

3 Likes

What happens when you end up with more hubs than devices? Go out and buy more devices? :wink:

6 Likes

If we where talking Christmas lights bulbs, I could tell you the differences! :grin:

2 Likes

It looks very similar, looking at the FCC docs. Unless the onboard chips are different. Still 2 radios, so no additions there.

I'm glad that I didn't buy that extra hub yet...
I hope that Hubconnect works with the new one...

It's definitely not the same as the C-5. The Z-wave daughter card is completely different.

C-5

C-7

Other than that, looks identical. Maybe they couldn't get the old card anymore.

Maybe the EU model...

Could be an upgraded Z-wave 700 chip. Aren't the newer chips going to allow for changing the frequency?? That would mean one hub for all areas.

3 Likes

I'll keep buying the old models. Someone's gotta buy 'em!

5 Likes

Just thinking that a single device with no need for external antennas would be easier to sell and distribute. That would make sense from hardware point of view. I know many would like a power upgrade as well, but not sure if that's on the cards.

But it's one more thing for the user to get wrong when setting up the hub. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. There are other claimed advantages of 700 series chips, including range. Here's a cut and paste from a Silicon Labs page describing the advantages of 700 series chips.

1 Like

Maybe, but an extra region question or the existing hub location shouldn't hopefully confuse tooo much. I mean... I'm guessing people know what continent they're currently on lol. But... Users!

2 Likes

So with c-8 they could add a GPS antenna and solve that :joy:

2 Likes

or add on a real time clock !
Battery backed of course

4 Likes

I didn't want to ruin the C-7 announcement at the time but eagle eyed viewers of Hubitat Live early last year may have spotted the spoiler in a MacOS notification :wink:

2 Likes

When setting up a new hub, you already put your location.
The firmware could easily work out the region from this.

Andy

Have you got a C7 on order for early release Andy? How many? :joy::rofl:

2 Likes