Devices in your Drawer of Shame

5 Peanuts.
2 Smart Things hubs
1 Almond + Hub
1 or 2 NYCE door hinge sensors...to be fair, one is still working as a hinge, but otherwise is useless.
1 Brilliant Single Wide switch/panel
2 or 3 GE Fan controllers
1 GE Zwave (non-plus) dimmer switch

I also have a Chamberlain MyQ enabled garage door opener...installed and used as a garage door opener, but the MyQ thing is basically useless to me.

There's probably more kicking around too!

I had a Leviton Dimmer that went in the trash, bypassing the Drawer of Shame as well...

S

@scunny might be interested in this.

I'll take it if still available.

1 Like

5 Sylvania/OSRAM RGBW Smart bulbs(Zigbee) purchased at different dates and used in different lamp. All began failing one by one as time went on. If I recall correctly they started acting up by randomly dropping of the mesh and flickering more and more while on till they no longer worked at all.

Switched to Sengled and never been happier.

My most questionable home automation purchase was also X-10 related. It was for controlling the thermostat before smart, or wi-fi connected thermostats, or even programmable thermostats were a thing.

What it was was a heat strip that you wrapped around the thermostat and connected to an X-10 module. I'm sure that seemed like a good idea at the time.

1 Like

Ebay. HA! The only thing HEers get rid of are items from the drawer of shame. So, Ebay is our flea market.

1 Like

I'm in need of a fan controller. is there a reason you took it out?

1 Like

I have a lot of stuff:

1. Xiaomi water (leak) sensors - I hate these for being so cheap, and for only working sometimes!
  2. A pile of Zwave (non plus) switches, dimmers, etc.
  3. a Vera Plus
  4. Homeseer ZeeTroller
  5. Fibaro HC Lite
    and on, and on, and on, and on......

P.S. If anybody wants that stuff, please PM!!! (Great prices)

A system I don't have :slight_smile:

I've got a BIG PIG. There, I've said it. It's off my chest, and into my box of WiFi automation devices (gotta keep the boxes separated by protocol)

I bought a Quirky Piggy bank that I really wanted to use and the dang thing won't get through the initialization process. It joins my network, and never gets beyond that. I sure am upset about this one. I really wanted to use it, even thought it's ridiculous.

2 Likes

OH NO this can't be the end of the PIG... Call up the gang and send it to Mike and get everyone on this... all hands on deck!!!!!

2 Likes

Funeral services for the Porkfolio will be held at my house in Bismarck.

Porkfolio is survived by six Eggminders (Yes, I know have a problem), its cousin—a Quirky Air Conditioner that my coworker owns, a Power Strip, and some other confusing products.

5 Likes

No need to shame devices that once had good use, so I will leave them off my list. Therefore, there is only one smart home product that has earned its cardboard box of shame (a drawer is too good for them).

The Sengled Element Plus dimmable bulbs. Wouldn't stay paired to Wink, SmartThings, or Hubitat. Warranty replacements didn't help. They are discontinued for a reason.

2 Likes

SmartThings motion sensor (2016 I think). It uses a huge 2477 battery that is hard to find and dies after just a few weeks.

I don't keep anything in a drawer. If it is bad enough that I won't use it I do 1 of 2 things:

1. If it will work for others (aka the device itself isn't rubbish, and just didn't work for my needs) I sell it.
  2. If the device is just crap, then I trash it. I won't knowingly sell a device that fundamentally doesn't work correctly to someone else. That just isn't right in my book.
7 Likes

That's 'cause @scottgu3 don't need no fan to be cool. :grinning:

1 Like

Having bought stuff from you and @april.brandt, I can attest to both of your integrity.

5 Likes

Bulbs by Eria and Cree, a few warm white Hue bulbs. Button controllers by Osram and Hue. A generic brand (recommended by Amazon) contact sensor, not a whole lot so far. I've been lucky with most of my purchases.

1 Like

I have about 15 Wemo switches and 3 Wemo plugs. A few sylvania plugs, some HomeKit switches, a few GE switches and more in my drawer.

I’ve been meaning to throw them up online for sale and find them a new home. Just been busy with other things.

1 Like

I’ve had really good luck with these, the newer generation ones at least.