Device firmware updater and Zooz ZEN34 switch

I have 2 switch ZEN34 firmware 1.30 and I try updating them to 1.40 but when I select the switch in the Device Firmware Updater app I got the error "Device did not respond to firmware metadata request"
This switch is an updatable device, why this error?

battery powered devices require a certain interaction to wake them up. You will need to initiate the action and then click the up button to wake it up..

2 Likes

thanks, I checked the manual and the wake up need press up paddle 7x !
:+1:

1 Like

I am trying to do the same and the manual says pressing the up paddle 7 times will wake it up and the led turns solid blue. I just get the blinking amber light as if it's trying to include. I can't get past "Device did not respond to firmware metadata request" because of this.

Try disabling the device before doing the update -- that's worked for me...

I tried to update a Zen34 last night. I didn't have a lot of time. I sent the request to Zooz to get the firmware update yesterday and I noticed they had responded last night just before I was going to go to bed.

I have several of the Zen34s some on my C5 and some on a C7. The first One I tried last night was on a C5. I was using the firmware updater driver but I never could get it to work. It would first stop and say I needed to wake the sleepy device. According to the Zooz site you wake the Zen34 by pressing the up paddle 7 times quickly. It says the LED should come on Blue, which it did, and then stay on until it goes back to sleep. The notice in the driver would never indicate it woke up and never continued. The LED would turn back off after a few seconds.

I found that if I did the wake up and then started the update process it would go past the wake up message but I then would get the error message listed below, in the logs. I tried this both with and without the device enabled, as suggested above.

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method and() on null object on line 461 (method firmwareStore)

As I mentioned I didn't have much time, as I needed to go to bed. I have a Z-Stick so I could go that method. I think if I can't get the C5 method to work I may just remove the device from my C5 and connect it to my C7 so I can use the built in Z-wave updater app. The Zen34s are easy to move around. So I think that will be easier than getting out the Z-stick and starting up simplicity studio.

I plan on trying again this evening and I will have some time to play with it. Anyone have any suggestions on why the C5 method was not working. All I did was set the device to the C5 updater device driver and paste in the URL to the file in the update box.. Anything I was forgetting?

This is still the driver correct?

There are two firmware updaters for C5 in your link. You might be using the wrong one? I can't remember which updater is for what type of file, but it describes it somewhere in that link you posted.

Honestly though, it is a lot quicker and easier to use a Z-stick to update. By the time the firmware updates on a busy hub network, you could have unpaired it, updated with Simplicity Studio ( :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rofl: simplicity) and paired it back to the hub.

I ended up hooking them up to my C7 and that worked well. It took about 3 or 4 minutes to update.

I have a few more to go but I'll think I will just stick to using the C7 for now.

2 Likes

Does your firmware now show 1.4 in the device data details? I updated 2 of my ZEN34's just now from the file sent to me from Zooz support email link. Everything went through fine, but they both still say 1.3.

I seem to remember one took a bit before it updated. All the others showed pretty much immediately.