Device Firmware Updater with Zooz device

I am attempting to update a Zooz ZSE11 Q Sensor to the 1.1 Version. I obtained the OTZ file from Zooz support.

When I attempt to update the firmware I get the following error message:
Error. Device expected an authentication event to enable firmware update

I am running a C7 hub with platform 2.3.2.125. I have attached screen shots of the issue. Any suggestion

Is the device paired with or without security?

I paired it without security.

Is it on battery power or USB power? Also current firmware on that device is 1.30 but it has to currently be on 1.10 or higher to update. Anything below 1.10 cannot be updated past 1.09.

Please show a screenshot of the row for that device from the zwave details page, and also a screenshot of the Data section at the bottom of the device page for the device.

1 Like

The device is on battery power. I changed the batteries recently. It currently at firmware version 1.10. Zooz only sent me the 1.11 version of firmware. Below are the requested screen shots:

Battery devices are tricky, you have to wake it up when the app is trying to poll the current version, then I usually give it a minute and wake it up again before I hit the button to start the update.

ALSO - important, make sure the device does not have a driver which sends back a command to end the wakeup, if you are not sure just switch the driver to "Device" while doing the firmware then switch it back afterwards. I have found this helps to be sure the device does not go back to sleep mode immediately.

I have a ZSE11 currently running 1.21 FW, I will try and update it to 1.30 some time today see how it works. Not sure why they sent you 1.11? Their OTA firmware page has 1.30 on it, you have to register your devices to get access to the page: Login - Zooz Support Center

1 Like

In addition to Jeff's advice, you can try disabling the battery device prior to doing the update. I believe this helps prevents going back to sleep mode too (like changing the Type to "Device").

That's a trick I picked up from @bertabcd1234 a while ago, and it helped me successfully do an update on my stubborn Zooz zse44.

2 Likes

Nice that should do the same thing as changing the driver and is easier for new users. I always had thought it would prevent the update from working but it sounds like you have done it before and it does not cause any issues.

Right on, it sure worked well for me -- I had successfully updated that zse44 in the past, but I retired it for a while... I recently brought it back in service and could not get that darn thing to update -- I stumbled on that advice from Robert in an old post, and it worked really well.

Another arrow in the ol' quiver anyway.

I was able to successfully update the firmware of the ZSE11 using hydro311 suggestions. I first changed the driver to device as suggested by jtp10181, but this did not change the behavior as it still failed with the same errors.

I then went in and disabled the device as hydor311 suggested and the firmware update started and completed successfully. Once again thanks to all the support.

One side note, why does the Device Firmware Updater not appear in my list of apps even though it is installed? I removed and re-added it and it still does not appear. I have to go back into the 'Add Built In App' and reselect the app to be able to use it. Just an annoyance.

1 Like

Glad it worked. Not sure about the app disappearing, but I don't keep it installed all the time -- I only add it when I need it, and then I remove it again. It'll still keep the firmware files you uploaded to it, but I try to clear those out every time too.

My N=1 experience is that I have better overall luck with the updater if I start with as clean a slate as possible each time... Install it only when I need it and just add the 1 file I need in there - nothing else. I maintain a copy of my relevant firmware files, but just not in that tool itself.

You have to add it and then press DONE for it to be added to the apps list. If you "add" it, use and then close the browser or back out without pressing the final DONE button it does not actually install it.

1 Like

Yep that was it. Again thanks for the info.

Thanks! Using this trick made it work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.