[Developement Thread] - Irrigation App

@CAL.hub

BTW...
If you need the buttons back while testing...
Look for:

// command "createHistory" (line 38)
// command "calculateNow" (line 39)

and remove the // before saving again they will reappear

Andy

Version 1.4.0 uploaded to GitHub with addition so you don't need to edit the code

Andy

It's been two days since I updated to your version 1.4, so now I have a complete two day history and forecast. I can declare it a complete success. All data collected and calculated.

A question/request: Is there a reason why the Switch Threshold is restricted to an integer value? I could use one decimal of granularity if that's possible.

Thanks for everything. Hope your travels have been enjoyable and productive.

1 Like

I work in mm so didnā€™t think of that! :slight_smile:
I just got back home from a 400 mile drive so am a bit bushed
Iā€™ll have a look tomorrow for you
I probably just need to change ā€˜toInteger()ā€™ to toDouble() on one setting I think then it should be sorted.
Unfortunately saving it again will probably wipe out the history again :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

It seems that all the work I have done on this is for nothing.
Now Iā€™m really pi$$ed off

I need to look for an alternative way of getting the data from my weather station.

Andy

I took a look at the thread, and a couple of persons mentioned this option that's free, FWIW: Products - AerisWeather

1 Like

@CAL.hub

I've changed the input so you can now enter decimals :slight_smile:
Version 1.5.0 uploaded to GitHub

Hopefully I haven't screwed anything else up :slight_smile:

Andy

It seems that you can get a developer trial account for two months then it's $25 per month!

https://www.aerisweather.com/signup/pricing/

Andy

I dont know if its for "nothing" ... anyone who is running their own PWS should look at WeeWX or other similar weather station apps - I am going to create a JSON file every 5m on my local weeWX server (raspberry pi) and look to modify any calls so that they pull the local json files

Not a perfect solution - but perhaps if you create a 'standard' json format

It looks like the 'free' level is for 2 months - just signed up and my 'free' account expires 7/17/2018 - then it looks like its $25USD / month for basic access ...

### Invoices

Invoice #<redacted>

Terms:Free for 2 months
Payment Method:Free Signup

**Products**

* Aeris Developer

Some of the mapping options are interesting for another need, but not looking like the 'free' is more than a dev/demo account - if I am missing something please correct me :slight_smile:

John
I'm looking at this now
I have my own PWS (and lots of RPi ) so I'm really only interested in getting data from this

Andy

take a look at weeWX if it supports your station it is really amazing :slight_smile:

It can create the output pretty much how ever you want it :slight_smile: Basic html output looks like Albrightsvile, PA (Carbon County) Current Weather Conditions

more info http://weewx.com

@JHoke
It looks like my station might be supported
So, is it possible to get the data from the station into a json format so we can add a 'fake' server for the api calls?

W*nkers. Free is free otherwise, it's a time-bombed trial.

Lots of developers for the watch Pepple have switched over to Weather API - OpenWeatherMap for weather forecasts, might be something?

1 Like

@Cobra
Yes... I found a Weewx ā€œskinā€ that can create a JSON file every time it updates (every 5m for my setup)

It should be possible to define a json template for an app and have weeWx create the json to be called and parsed by the app

I am on the road right now so canā€™t get at my laptop where I saved the json skin link but u should find it with GoogleFu

Try ā€œjson weeWx skin githubā€ :wink:

Iā€™m gonna play around with it this weekend because Iā€™m pissed off by this shenanigans by IBM

Iā€™ve tried OWM in the past ... had issues but perhaps they have been resolved

Another avenue to try this weekend :love_you_gesture:t2:

1 Like

IBM/WU says that they have not yet cut off current API access. As far as I can tell, the date - though no doubt coming - is indefinite.

OWM does seem like it would work. @Cobra Given the way you aggregate current rain for a short-term historical record, does the OWM api work?

Thanks for 1.5. Looking good.

1 Like

Guys
If anyone is interested, I have ported the 'Irrigation Switch' driver to use the Apixu API
If you would like to try it please PM me and I'll send you a link as it's not on my github account

Although a bit harder, I'll probably port it to use OWM too at some point (especially if I can get my weather station to report to it)

Andy

Sending PM ASAP.

Wonder if it's related, but I haven't been able to get a WU update since 08:53 EDT this morning.

It should be doable - but IIRC it was somewhat convoluted due to their insanity of account vs api account vs station blah blah blah

PM me and remind me ... I'll take a look at how I did it and get you some pointers

1 Like

@JHoke
John
At the moment Iā€™m struggling to get all the data out of the OWM api.
It just seems more conveluted than the others Iā€™ve done.

I have found some details on registering my pws to OWM but you are right.. it looks to be a pain.
I might end up writing a windows script to use curl or wget to do it for me.

Andy

1 Like