[Developement Thread] - Irrigation App

That should go when you save it (also the ā€˜Click to setā€)

I think also that after the initial save at the bottom when 1st assigning the driver, you need to click the upper ā€˜saveā€™ button as Iā€™ve noticed that the lowes ā€˜saveā€™ doesnā€™t always save the settings.

Andy

I updated those fields using my iPad and the display on that browser is much better!

Basically the Time entry doesn't work right using Firefox on my Mac.

And the error was eliminated... however, maybe you can detect null (empty fields) and use a default?

I've been using "Elvis'" a lot for this:
offset = offset ?: 0
where 0 is the default for that. It doesn't fix the error of not entering a value, if just makes the error easier for someone to read.

Installed easily and the settings, save for "Day Cutoff", were very intuitive. I like the idea of everything being in a driver - works especially well for me since my system is still on ST so I can simply use Other Hub to send the switch to ST.

Thanks for all your hard work and ingenuity. I'll send any idea your way.

I do need to understand how the "days" work. I run mine at 4:00am. Is Today's Rain what is forecast or just what has actually fallen from midnight to 4am? Similarly, at 4am, is yesterday the 24 hours period that ended at the just-passed midnight?

I'm wondering if I'm better off throwing the switch at 11:59pm, thereby collecting the daily data at the end of the day, but then delaying action on the switch until 4am. This presupposes that total rainfall for the day is provided by WU and can be reported at 11:59pm.

Youā€™re welcome!
It was/is an interesting exercise :slight_smile:

ok... it seems to me that WU uses midnight to start a new day
So, if you start the switch at 4am then todayā€™s data would only be from midnight to 4 am
Yesterday would be the period upto midnight.

My intended use is to use the switch to remind me to water (if not enough) via ā€˜mp3 event playerā€™ at around 6pm so for me, most of the day is gone. I think it would work for me ā€˜as isā€™.

However; I think your idea of switching at 11:59 pm would probably work better for you.

Iā€™ll have to think about this for a while and see if I can come up with something that fits both scenarios.

In the meantime, if I get time tomorrow, Iā€™ll look at adding day restrictions.

Andy

@CAL.hub
Ok... have a look at this screenshot:

I have created a new 'Check Criteria Time' setting.
For your use case... If you set this to 23:59 but still leave the time to turn on as 4am then it will do the following:

1. Check go/nogo at 23:59 and retain the data
  2. Using the previously stored data (go/nogo) it will trigger the switch 'on' if criterias matched.

At least that's the theory :slight_smile:

I've also added a new temporary button.. "Calculate Now" which is just for testing
I'll remove it when we are done testing

Try it and let me know how you get on

New version: 1.1.0 uploaded to GitHub

Andy

Thanks, Andy. You're really going above and beyond! I'm away for a few days doi won't be able to try it until Tue, but it looks like you've hit all the hit buttons. Even thought I'm not home, some torrential downpours are on the way, so I'll be able to evaluate the rainfall, past and present.

1 Like

@CAL.hub
Iā€™m having real problems getting the driver to restrict action to certain days.
I have tried loads of different ways to code it but it seems a driver is not the place for those restrictions.
However; I too only really want it to work on certain days.
So it looks like a little helper app to enforce the restrictions.
Still looking at options but Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™ll come up with :slight_smile:

I think if I write an app then it might be useful to apply restrictions to other things that donā€™t have them.

In most of my apps I usually restrict the following optional things
Presence
Time
Days
Mode

Obviously we would just be able to apply day restrictions

Andy

For ideas, you might look at this driver I'm using on ST:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/smart-sprinkler-system/3076

It looks like these guys programmed the days into an app..
I may have to do the same

I'm working away this week so won't be able to do much until my return

Andy

I just returned and updated the driver to 1.1.0. Testing underway.

I ran into a problem testing the prior version - user error. We had two days of significant rain Saturday & Sunday, but your driver didn't record any. Pretty sure the problem is the station; for some reason, my zip code mapped to a PWS nearby that didn't report precipitation. Fortunately, your driver reports the StationID, so I could deduce the problem and change it to an NWS airport station.

Regarding day restrictions.... I'm not sure they're necessary. In my use-case, I have to have some other app already to actually program the irrigation zone timers. For now, that's a webCoRE piston.
I may use a Rule Machine condition in the future. Either way, it's not a problem to put the day restrictions there.

@CAL.hub

I've just updated the driver.

Version 1.2.0

I did some cleanup of the code (lots of stuff was commented out during testing etc)
I have removed the 'autopoll' switch and put 'Manual Poling Only' as an option in the drop-down for polling interval.
There was an error in the calculation which meant that day 4 was added twice instead of day4 and day5
Also a slight re-order of settings to try and make it look better on both desktop & mobile devices.

Ok.
To be honest, this is now working great for me and is exactly what I wanted out of this.
Hopefully it fulfills your needs too

In which case I'll change the thread title to reflect the status
(Unless it doesn't work when you test! :slight_smile:)

Andy

The design is spot-on for what I need and, AFAIK, it's working just right. The only caveat is that I don't have any rain (maybe in a couple of days) so I can't say the whole end-to-end solution, which includes user error, actually works. But, I've upgraded to 1.2 and ready for some precip.

1 Like

@CAL.hub

Surprisingly.. we have not had any rain in my part of the UK for a week! :slight_smile:
So (although I've faked it a few times by 'watering' the weather station) I've not done a real world test yet.
I believe rain is coming (according to the driver) so we will see in a few days.
I will also need to spend some time thinking about my threshold.

Please let me know how you get on

Andy

1 Like

@CAL.hub
Ha!
it looks like I had day 1 and day3 variables mixed up in the calculation so the weighting multiplication was incorrect.

Try this version and see if that works for you (I haven't had rain for a few days and find it'd difficult to test)

New Update:

Version: 1.3.0

Andy

OK. Excellent. Upgraded. Will let you know.

This morning's run still doesn't look right. But I am also seeing something strange about the version. From the Device:

But, I really did upgrade to 1.3 yesterday before this data was collected. Anyway, here is the calculation:

Weightings = 3 5 5 4 2 (each day in chronological order)
Precip = 0 0 .21 .97 .6
Calculation (mine) = 0.00 + 0.00 + 1.05 + 3.88 + 1.20 = 6.13
Calculation (Driver) = 5.88

@CAL.hub
I'm going crazy with this thing.. should be simple.
One thing to note..
After changing the driver you need to click the bottom save button
then you MUST click the top save button to update everything (including the version number)

Unfortunately I don't have time to look at this right now as I'm packing for another week, working away.
Leaving in an hour
I'll have a look as soon as I'm back

Go, go! I won't bother you except to update the calculation tomorrow, now that I have the version number right.

Just had a very quick look
I think it needs to poll directly before the calculation (it doesn't at the moment)

If you edit the driver file and look for line 178 (it should be blank)

Add this to as the only entry on the line:

ForcePoll()

Then save it
This will make it poll before the calculations.

If you look at your screenshot the calculations are done on:
rainTmp1 - rainTmp5

The figures don't line up with the event entries

I'll have a proper look when I get back

Andy