Denon AVR only works in debug mode

Hi all,
Since I've upgraded by HE7 to version 2.2.9.146, the Denon AVR driver only works when the debug logging enabled for this driver. The moment the debug logging is disabled, I can't control my receiver anymore.
This would be less of an issue when de debug-log would not automatically be switched off after about a half hour.
Anyone have similar issues?
Thanks!

I thought HE7 was panasonic?
Anyway debug shouldn't affect functionality, and only display already existing information ,that would be otherwise hidden. I would suggest logging a ticket with support

The only way this causes an issue is if the if(debug).... scope somehow accidently includes a "live" statement, i.e.

if(debug) {
   log.debug "Some information here" 
   computedValue = ......
}
if (computedValue) ....

instead of

if(debug) {
   log.debug "Some information here" 
}
computedValue = ......
if (computedValue) ....

Agreed. Unfortunately (for the OP), I'm using this same driver with two different Denon AVRs and I don't have this issue so I doubt that the driver has a bad condition like that (but maybe, I haven't tried every single control for the device!). What I suspect is really the issue here is the telnet connection to the device is getting closed somehow and when he clicks Save Preferences it's reconnecting (I reported an issue where I noticed Denon AVR telnet disconnecting and not reconnecting, but haven't heard back [2.2.9.146] Denon AVR Doesn't Reconnect)

I think more info would be helpful -- anything in the logs? Especially disconnections? When you say "can't control it" can you provide specifics of which commands don't work so I can test too?

1 Like

Hi @Rxich , @thebearmay, @dman2306 . Thanks for the responses. One thing I should have done before posting a message here, was to reboot the device. Which did the trick... So, problem solved :slight_smile:

In case it is helpful for future references: The driver worked when the "Enable debug logging" was on. Once I set this value to "on" there is also scheduled job created to set to value to "off" after about 30 minutes; which resulted in the driver not working anymore. With "working" I meant: I could not control the connected receiver: (un)muting, change volume, change input source. And there appeared no entries in the logs.

1 Like

I've just bought an old Denon AVR and am having the exact same problem with the built-in Denon AVR driver - it only works with "Enable debug logging" active. When you say you rebooted the device, I presume you mean the AVR itself? If so, is that just a power off/power on or something more?

I still don't really understand how it can be an issue with the AVR if it works with debug logging active, surely that is an issue at the driver end?

EDIT Actually, I've just found that if I manually turn off debug logging, it stops the driver working, but if I then activate logging again and let it turn off automatically after the 30 minutes, it works again and stays working. Odd, but at least it's working for me now.

Hi @Geoff_T , with rebooting the device, I meant rebooting the Hubitat. Sorry for not being clear on that.