[2.2.9.146] Denon AVR Doesn't Reconnect

Not 100% sure this is new to 2.2.9, but I've had this device for years and never had a problem before 2.2.9. I've been doing some work on my network this past week and so I had to reboot my switches a few times. Naturally, that caused a lot of LAN devices to disconnect. I have two Denon AVR devices. Both stopped working. I wasn't sure what the problem was. I noticed no device status was updating. So I clicked the Initialize button and it instantly started working again. There were no errors in the log or anything, so I'm not sure what happened. I have seen "telnet connect error:connect timed out" entries before, and it reconnects, but this time no such error and no reconnection. My best theory was the connect failed some how and it didn't retry again. Not totally sure but figured I'd bring it up. Unfortunately, I don't have much info to share. I turned on debug logging now so hopefully if it happens again it shows something.

FYI, both receivers are connected by ethernet, so not wifi flakiness, two different models (X7200WA and X8500HA) so nothing jumps out on the Denon side but who knows?

Unfortunately my new receiver has become the heart of some of my automations since I spent my COVID time building a home theater (working on a post to go over some of the cool automations I put in place for that!) so it's super noticeable when the receiver doesn't work right.

cc @mike.maxwell since I think you built this driver

2 Likes

I experienced the exact same thing. I ended up creating a rule to initialize() once a day and that has been enough to keep it connected.

I am using the Denon AVR device with my AVR3313CI. Occasionally the tile in the Dashboard is unresponsive. I then have to go the device and press "save preferences" without making any changes. Will the initialize() solve this, and how do I do this in RM 5.1? Thanks in advance.

@N0rm Tough to say but it couldn't hurt setting up a rule to call initialize at a regular interval. Here is what I am doing:

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 9.08.41 AM

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 9.12.07 AM

This is what I'm currently doing too.

It would be awesome if a telnet "watchdog" could be implemented in the driver so that this could be handled in a more efficient manner. @mike.maxwell @gopher.ny

1 Like

I just picked up a Marantz unit, so I can get something implemented in the Denon driver.

3 Likes

Since you're re-visiting this integration, would it be possible for you to look at adding the ability to control the "Dynamic Volume setting"? I would love to be able to enable/disable the setting based on the time of day or mode.

1 Like

??? what be this you speak of ???

It's the Auyssey equivalent of night mode range compression. It's an available setting via telnet API as there is an old community driver that allows control of it.

1 Like

huh, interesting, sure we can add that.
Also will add an option for zones 2 and 3

2 Likes

Awesome! Helps when my wife is up late watch k-dramas!

Awesome thank you for adding this!! Will you be adding multiple zones to the Onkyo driver too? I am using both.

yes

1 Like