Dealing with weekends and holidays

I'm just wondering how you all deal with, primarily, holidays. I know with apps it's usually pretty easy to say Monday thru Friday, but what happens when you don't want something to happen on a weekday holiday? Like coffee comes on and lights turn on at 4:30 AM Mon - Fri, but if it's a holiday, come on at 6:30 or something along those lines.

For weekends it's easy enough to just have 2 rules - one for M - F and another for S & S.

Thanks
Stan

1 Like

Too bad he's pulled all his apps.

The basic Idea is to have a list of "holidays" and have that alter a virtual switch and then THAT switch is included in the Rules that would benefit.

1 Like

Most all of my lights are motion based, and my modes are typically set by presence.

So holiday vs non-holiday is the same to me. If I get up later, the lights come on later. The only one that can get me is that my bedroom lights have a no-motion exclusion from 10pm to 830am to ensure the bedroom lights never get turned on accidentally by motion. On the 1 in 500 times I sleep past 830am, the lights could come on errantly if I move enough to trip the motion sensor.

I don't automate very many things at a specific time, like coffee pots, so can't help there.

I've got a switch I created which self sets everyday at 5 after midnight.

• ON if it is a weekend or stat/bank holiday
  • OFF if it is a regular workday.

The switch self calculates all the holidays. It isn't the most efficient or the cleanest code, but it works for me.

Note that the bank/stat holidays are the ones specific to where I am (Canada - BC). But you could easily make a few modifications to remove or add specific dates for wherever you are.

Switch driver for bank/stat holidays (Canada-BC)