Current Recommend Garage Door Opener/Closer

@ ezeedub

Here are photos:

Above, door is closed, so hinge is vertical, and magnet is near door/window sensor, so it reports "closed". Clear packing tape is my paranoia, as door vibration might shake open the cheap plastic case, and drop the battery down on the paintwork of a 1952 MG TD. Same for the twist-tie wire on the magnet. Yes, it is glued, and it is also a Neodymium magnet (NdFeB), so it has a very tight grip on the steel hinge, but as the Insane Clown Posse sang "Magnets - How do they work?"`

Above is the hinge in the "open" position, which will happen naturally when the door goes up, and along the ceiling, of course.

Pretty basic.

3 Likes

@ mircolino You do not need custom code, all you need to do is to move the wire on the screw terminal between "NC" and "NO", and you will reverse the logic in hardware - "NC" = Normally Closed "NO" = Normally Open. Leave "COM" be, that's the "common", called "ground" where most folks come from.

Yes it should be fine with that. As long as you can stick a sticker to it. You just need reflective tape on there.

1 Like

But effective! Thanks for posting. I was imagining the hinge attached to the door frame and the sensor on the door, and was wondering how reliable that would be, but this is much simple (aka better).

I "modified" an ecolink Door & Window sensor, added a mercury switch. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5HB4U5/

More expensive but very easy.

Also this using a different Ecolink sensor:

1 Like

Well, if you want to know if the door is open even a little, then you must mount the hinge and sensor at the very tip-top of the garage door, so they will travel through the curve of the track when the door is open only a small amount.

My garage door motor has all the safety crap add-ons, so if the door bangs on something, the motor reverses, and opens the door all the way, and blinks its light in alarm, so I have a binary-state garage door. :wink:

I have a Old liftmaster commercial opener in my garage. I use 2 Mimo zwave switches with my Hubitat. One for open one for close. I just paralleled the open and close buttons at the opener and works like a charm. I am new to using Hubitat but that is the work around I came up with.

I just did my garage door with the zooz multi relay module. I already had wires into the house from the garage door controller using some old alarm sensor wires the previous home owner had setup. I put the zooz relay near the old alarm panel inside and connected the wires to opener.

I got a sengled zigbee contact sensor and stuck it to the side of the garage door, the magnet is on the door the sensor is on the frame of the house.

Setup the sensor before doing the zooz and they have a garage door device on their site using a custom driver. Works great and it connects with the sensor to show open/closed status. The sensor will show if the door is open even a little because the magnet moves out of alignment from the sensor.

1 Like

If you want simple and easy to install, with a ton of features, NO monthly fee like MyQ and works off a single unit for up to three garage doors, look into Tailwind. I bought one and love it. It works excellent and the geofencing works very well. (Much better than the Hubitat app). I cant say enough good stuff about them. Their support is excellent as well.

I have a Chamberlain MyQ belt driven garage door opener which connects to my home WiFi and will send me a message if I leave the door open for too long. I can open, close, or check the garage door status via the MyQ app on my phone. Unfortunately, the MyQ system isn't officially supported by HE. As a backup system I do have a tilt sensor on the garage door and some rules set up to inform me if the garage door has been left open for more than 15 mins.

It's not officially supported but there is a great community integration for MyQ. I used it before I wired the Zooz relay to one of my buttons.

Yep. I'm using the community developed MyQ Integration now with my opener. Although, it wouldn't be difficult to use a simple ZigBee relay module ($15 US) and a tilt or contact sensor with any garage door opener tied together with some HE rules.

Using a Zooz-16 for mine.

Itā€™s been 23 years since Iā€™ve had a garage. About to move into a house (which Iā€™ve never set foot in) with a garage. There are no pictures of the garage, so Iā€™ve no clue what opener they have right now.

Iā€™m an IoT garage opener virgin, and really all I want is open capability from HomeKit and CarPlay. This will do it, but a Zigbee relay and my Homebridge setup can potentially do the same.

Criteria is security and no false triggers. Unlikely my family will remember to lock the door from the house to garage, so Iā€™ll have to auto lock that, but I still donā€™t want my garage door hanging open when not intended since Iā€™ll have expensive tools in there.

Suggestions welcome. Experience with the Refoss HomeKit enabled garage door opener is particularly valuable if anyone has that to offer. Since I have no experience with automation of garage doors, please let me know what Iā€™m not thinking about and should add. Sensors to know if the garage door is open seems obvious. What else?

I've been rocking the Zooz Multirelay and Ecolink tilt sensors for a while now and have absolutely no issues with it. Been fully reliable. I just noticed they were selling the parts as a kit. Well it works well and can support up to 3 doors. I have 2. I'm assuming you want it integrated into hubitat and then can export it as needed to homekit?

If you have an older door you can direct wire it inline with the switches. If you have one of the newer GDO's with security built in you can work around it by soldering the wires onto the contact points of the remote or switch to get the same result. I ended up just soldering it to a remote and then placing the whole setup inside my house and not in the garage.

I use to use MyQ and it was just too much of a pain and unreliable. However, I believe MyQ has homekit integration (as an addon) and if that you really want should be much more reliable to trying to integrate MyQ with HE.

This setup has NEVER let me down.

Of course you need to make sure your zwave network reaches all the way to the garage doors as well. I have a lot of repeaters in my house so it wasn't an issue for me.

1 Like

Here's a posting where I describe how I used an inexpensive ZigBee relay along with a spare garage remote control to trigger my garage door to open or close from Hubitat. It should work for any garage door opener whether they have special security features or not. Using a tilt or contact sensor on your garage door can be used with a Hubitat rule to notify you if the door is open for an extended time. I also have an inexpensive Wyze camera inside my garage pointed at my garage door for a visual check for additional assurance.

1 Like

I second the Ecolink tilt sensor. I replaced the internal ball switch with a mercury switch when I first installed it. I hadn't had trouble with the ball switch but the mercury switches were cheap on eBay.

I have no automation control of my garage door, only notification.

2 Likes

Thanks Gavin. Iā€™m just going to have to wait until Iā€™m there on January 12th to know what opener I have. If thereā€™s been no issues for you and others, then thatā€™s a great solution. I have a couple Xiaomi relays that might be ok for the job. Iā€™ve never had an issue with them self-triggering or dropping. Donā€™t know if anyone else has.

Zooz relay would be fine for me too. Iā€™m tentatively planning to install in a radio transparent cabinet in the garage. I think this will be the most central location for my hubs and bridges, if installed on the correct wall. Iā€™ll then just repeat from there to make sure my mesh is strong.

Getting the device into HomeKit from HE will be the easiest of my challenges. :wink:

Congratulation on your new home, I hope you enjoy it in good health. (and your vehicles enjoy being covered)

1 Like

In the end that is all you really need. A relay that will complete the circuit. The hard part is figuring out what circuit needs to be complete. The one to the GDO or the one on the button (due to security). And the key is finding the most reliable relay. The Zooz just has a few extra features but you may not need them.

I use it in homekit too because when I'm out in the yard I just like being able to ask siri to open/close the garage while my hands are full.

1 Like