Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers

It does work but there are some differences you will work through. FWIW I have been on HE since March 2018 so my versions of his code are obviously very old as a result. Just looked and I am using v01.02.00 dated 2018-03-02

1 Like

I might have found a working solution for myself.

I've added fully open and fully closed contact sensors - fairly definitive for status.

I created a GV to determine whether my door is open, closed, moving (using multisensor acceleration), stopped, or invalid (both sensors closed).

The cancel and pushover are just there for testing.

Then using the GV I use RM to determine current status and if "open" is requested it will open if closed or stopped. If "close" is requested it will close if it is open or stopped. And I was able to add in an audible warning (using sonos in garage) and plan to add visual for closing (waiting for Zigbee colored bulb to arrive).

Then my arrival/departure/bedtime routines call the actions from these two vice calling garage open/close to the GDO.

Now I just have to depart/arrive a few times and see if it is stable. The multisensors are still being flakey on open/close status, not sure why, but it definitely messes with Zooz GDO (because Zooz relies on single sensor to determine status). Oh and I did switch back to Zooz GDO vice LGK - meh.

As always, I'm very open to any feedback - esp RM stuff - if there is better logic, I'm all for it.

2 Likes

What sensors are you using? I have a hard time finding good places for standard open/close (magnet) sensors on my door.

I'm using these:
AmazonSmile : tatoko Magnetic Reed Switch Normally Open Closed NC NO Door Alarm Window Security 6Sets : Electronics

Interestingly - i had to wire them NC/C to the Zen17 - would expect NO/C not sure why.

I nipped the ends off (where screws go) and used hot glue. Mounted a magnet on either side of the door puller then mounted the sensors at the top of the T-track where each lands at open/close. Then I used hot glue to hold the wires to the top of the T-track heading back to the GDO.

I still have to hook up the wireless transmitter to the relays. I am using these:
Sensors
Zigbee relay board
Wireless transmitter (paid more then I should have for someone else to solder 6 wires)
As it happens, my wife bought a wireless remote off Amazon for my daughter. She bought these:
After market remote (knock off) which come to about $9.50 each.

I'm using this app: Zooz garage door opener

I hope this helps someone researching this later.

2 Likes

Following the tips and advice from others in this discussion, I created my own Zigbee Garage Door Opener Device. I started by using a spare remote control for my Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener. I pulled out the circuit board as shown below:

Next, I purchase a Zigbee Relay Board from Amazon for $15 US.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 5.38.16 AM

This board paired very easily with my HE hub. I configured this relay board to be in "inching" mode, which acts as a momentary relay switch (you turn it on, and 1 second later it turns off automatically). So the plan is to activate the push button on the garage remote control circuit board.

Next, I soldered two wires on the garage remote circuit board across the leads to the push button. Then, I inserted those leads in the Zigbee board's relay COM (Common) and NO (Normally Open) connections.

I then used some plastic electrical standoffs to position the remote control board on top of the relay board. Makes it very tidy.

Finally, I plugged in a micro USB cable into the relay board and put everything in a small electronic kit box, with the USB cable sticking out a hole in the box. I then velcroed this box under my office desk (where I've hidden a lot of my electrical devices) and plugged it into a USB adapter for power.

I can then turn on the switch for the relay device from my Hubitat Dashboard to activate the garage remote control. To make it even easier for me to trigger, I use the Android app called Macrodroid to trigger this device thru an HTTP request (using HE's Maker API) from my Galaxy Watch on my wrist. Really cool setup, thanks to all the great ideas and advice in this forum!

9 Likes

Love this! The only other step might be to add a USB battery adapter for the coin battery.

2 Likes

I made a 3D printed housing for the ZG-2001 Zigbee Relay Switch. I don't think I can post the STL files in the forum, but if you're interested in printing your own just PM me. I could also print one and mail it to you if you want.

8 Likes

Stupid Question Time!

My contact switches have Common, Normally Open, and Normally Closed connections. When and why would we use normally open vs normally closed? I know - obvious, right?

I ask because when I was initially wiring my open and closed sensors to Zen17 I was only able to get them to report using NO. NOW I'm seeing they are failing to report on initial change (closed to open) which is hosing my rules because they don't report until after a full open full close cycle THEN report correctly.

Is the circuit only "tested" for open/closed at certain points?

These are used in different scenarios but in your case you want to use NO, normally open. Think of the button you are pressing, normally it’s not pressed meaning it’s “open”/aka not connecting a circuit. When you press it, it completes/closes the circuit until you release the button.

NC can be useful with security contact sensors. I have a zone on my security system that monitors 4 windows in a room. They are “normally” closed but when one opens (not all), the security system senses that one of the windows is open. It doesn’t know which one but the fact that one is open, it breaks the circuit and thus the security panel knows one is open.

Hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Right, for the GDO contact it is definitely NO and closes to push the button. But my reed sensors would not report at all when I tried NO - they only report when used on NC. ZEN17 doesn't have a "choice" for NO/NC on the sensor side, just S1/C or S2/C.

The real question is why do my closed sensors fail to report open when the GDO opens the first time. Feels like they are sleeping and don't wake up the first time the GDO cycles. And it only seems to happen if GDO has been closed for > 24 hours. Weird.

Inspired with the solution here, I roll up my own garage door switch without any relay. I have been developing this for a couple weeks and document them in the Environment sensor thread. I am really close to install it on my garage. I need to buy one more reed switch. I think it is time for me to share my solution here. Perhaps, it could help someone here.

I notice the remote (at least chamberlain, liftmaster and craftman) is a 3V device. I think it should be safe to connect the buttons to a 3.3V MCU and toggle GPIO to simulate a button press. I have a drawing on what I think about how the button works.

I used a clone arduino UNO which operate on 3.3V. I hook it up to Zigbee Environment Sensor which also act like a Thingshield. Here is how it look like. I transplant the GD remote on the second mezzanine.

Here is 37 seconds demo video.

Since, it is over kill to use arduino to just push a button, I added a few sensors on the board. I have a couple contact sensors. I have motion sensor and vibration sensor hook up as well. Here is how they look in hubitat.

As pictured, I am able to click buttons on my remote. I can monitor temperature, humidity, pressure, light of the garage and detect power outage in the garage. I am hoping that I can use the vibration to tell me the door is moving. I am able to detect motion inside the garage. At this point, I am able to detect whether the door is fully open or closed with 2 contact sensor.

I am sorry if this is too long. I primarily just want to share that the garage door remote may work without relay. You can simulate the button click with simple GPIO toggle with an 3.3V MCU. Toggling this way is very fast. I set mine to toggle in the order of 10 milliseconds which is probably unwise to do with a relay.

3 Likes

One issue I am continuing to fight with is when I want the GDO to open based on presence and if wife and I arrive together HE sends the "on" command then sends it again - which stops the door from opening. I've put some logic around it based on 2 contact sensors plus my multisensor for vibration, but still don't have it quite right. Works great if one of us leave or arrive, but not for multiple.

Here's a dumb question that might help me fix my GDO issue.

If a virtual switch is "on" and a rule turns the switch "on" does that trigger a 'turns on' trigger? or does 'turns on' have to mean changed from another state to "on"?

I have not gotten to setup my rule yet. My plan in this scenario is to check the contact sensors status. I am thinking to ignore any momentary button push command when your door is "opening" or "closing". A door is in these states when the fully opened and fully closed contact sensor is not engaged. Would that work to solve this particular issue?

I'm using LGK Virtual Garage Door.

Using the built in virtual switch driver, if it’s turned on a second time while already in the on state, it will not create a new trigger. And yes this will work for you.

Edit: as a side note, this virtual switch drive has the option to do just that, send another event if the switch is turned on and is already on. Useful in some cases.

I currently have the Zooz GDO installed, but I do NOT use it with my automations because it accepts multiple pushes of open or close and causes the actual door to stop or reverse when undesired. Part of the problem is the app accepts additional "pushes" while the door is in "ing" state. i.e. if door is opening you can push either open or close and it will trigger the door to stop where it is. If the door is closing you can push either button and the door will reverse and open.

Not sure if LGK vGDO behaves the same - might have to try it again.

I understood this point now. My switch driver does not have the contacts information as well. I do not think that my switch need this logic. I do not plan to approach it this way.

I am thinking to use RM as my automation(or an app). In this rule, I am imagining that I will pull in information from the contact sensors when my cars are detected. At that point, I will toggle the remote button only when the closed contact sensor is detected.

I think of my GD switch as my physical remote. I can have multiple physical remote and got into the same issue that you describe. I visualize myself as the rule (or an APP). In this rule, as I see my car approaching, I would click on my remote button if the door is fully closed. If I see a second car coming and garage door is not fully closed, I would not click on the remote. Just FYI, this is my plan. I thought I just share with you.

1 Like

Scroll back to my post Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers - Get Help / Devices - Hubitat

I'm using a GV to determine the status of the door based on 2 contact sensors and a multisensor. The I have a RM that uses this GV to determine if it should activate the relay once (closed to open) or twice (stopped to open). Have a separate rule to close on departure, but we almost never don't close it manually on departure. Not sure if that part works right or not, lol.