CT-101 OperatingState

I will preface this by saying that I did just open a support ticket, but I wanted to get some input from the community as well.

I have a CT-101 that is joined and seems to work well enough, I don't think I ever paid any attention to it really.

I noticed today that it doesn't seem to automatically trigger between Idle and Cooling automatically (without a refresh or poll that is)

I can't say for sure whether or not this work when I originally added it, but my logs do show it updating between Idle and Cooling, but that may have been what looks like a scheduled "Poll" with the "Generic Z-Wave Thermostat" driver.

To that point, the device joined and detected itself as the Generic driver even though there's a Radio Control CT-101 driver. I switched to that driver, but no net change in behavior.

Command from HE to the device seems fine, though I have noticed that if I manually change the CoolingSetpoint from the device, HE does not get updated.

Is this a driver issue with ether the CT-101 or Generic driver? Is this a CT-101 known issue? Should I just throw a 60s "refresh" rule on it and be done?

Any info appreciated!

No help for you. Just wanted to raise my hand and say me too.

My experience with this device sounds identical. Right down to it pairing as device and changing the driver. I believe I even posted the fingerprint for @mike.maxwell at the time.

I never contacted support due to all the custom code in my hub.

I had just ripped all of the custom code out of my device to troubleshoot another issue, but put it all back yesterday.

I hope I don't have to go through that again, since it came out that none of it was really the culprit.

I dont think the issues with this thermostat are custom code related. Just something strange about how they work I would guess. Hard for the hubitat staff make every device work "perfect" I'm sure.

If the ct101 in question is not pairing as a ct101, that means it's running completly different firmware then the one i wrote the driver for, hence it not working correctly with the published ct driver.
I don't have a quick fix for the issue with the generic driver...

1 Like

Is there information we can provide to see if what you used matches what other devices are out in the wild?

I mean it works well enough, it’s just the operating state change from cooling to idle and idle to cooling

I can provide what ever you need to review.

So it auto reports correctly when in heating mode?
If so then we might be able to fix it with some debug logs...

I’m actually not sure, I have it in Auto and it’s summer.

I’ll try two things later and report back

Cooling mode only (no auto)
Heating mode

@mike.maxwell would you prefer I test using the generic or radio driver?

1 Like

Well if you find one that works, then that one...
Be sure to hit configure after swapping drivers.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if the thermostat itself is reporting operating state changes or not.

If it is, then it's just an issue of the radio driver not parsing the data correctly, which is an easy fix.
However if it's not reporting heating or cooling state changes when used in these modes then it's another issue that could be harder to track down...

I turned on debug logging and I see it reporting fanstate changes, but never see the actual operating state change. If I hit refresh, it comes immediately. I do get Temperature updates. I’ll see the temperature updating, hear the compressor turn off, but no operating update.

I’ve never tried cooling mode/heating mode only, just auto which has both the cold and hot set points.

I’ll do the above testing and include some debug screen shots in my next reply.

1 Like

Have you tried setting the Thermostat to Cool mode instead of auto and see if that has an effect on reporting operating state?

I’m going to try that in my tests as well.

@mike.maxwell

I manually turned my thermostat from Off to Cool

This is what showed up in the debug logs:

and the device states:

When the thermostat hit the cooling point which I set to 78 it turned off. No fan, and no compressor. This is what I see in the debug logs:

and the states show

I did one more test, after resetting the CT-101 using the reset button for 15 seconds. That time it worked.

Kicking on

Going Idle

The subsequent time it turned on, it did not update. Now it's running and my device says "idle"

It doesn't appear to be a specific direction that isn't working, it just doesn't always communicate it's state.

I suppose a scheduled refresh would resolve all of this, but that seems so defeatist. It should be working via association, or at least that's my understanding.

Yeah, all of the device attributes report based on association groups, usually 1. The fact that every other attribute does report tells us that the association group has been set. So this must be a firmware bug on the device.

Ok, I narrowed it down once more after a little more observation and testing.

It works on Cool. It does not work on Auto. In Cool it seems to announce its state correctly.

Does that change anything? It’s pretty rare that I really need it to be in Auto mode, but I like not having to change the mode, but I also guess it would only be once a year.

Any idea why auto would act differently than Cool (and presumably, heat)

This is all with the “radio” driver, rather than generic.

Ok, when you manually set the mode to cool, then it goes to cooling, and idle on its own as it should, is that correct?

It doesn't do this for auto, how about heat?, does that work?

If it's not notifying when in auto, that's on the thermostat.
I'm currently using this thermostat, but we don't use auto as our prefered heating and coolong setpoints are within a degree, and auto wont support this.

Yes - cooling
No - auto

I’ll check heat in the morning. I just noticed when I ran a nighttime routine that my z-wave network was very slow, I might be having other issues...

Every day I run into something new :slight_smile:

Nightime routines that power off piles of devices can be slow...

today it's not been consistent at all. It just doesn't seem to be always sending it's commands. I'm not entirely sure which driver works better. It might have seemed more consistent with the "generic" driver since it was doing some kind of schedule poll.

I know I am also not the only one with CT-101 issues, but not sure where the issues lie. I know this device reported it's state correctly on ST, but I believe is was being polled by the platform (at least from what I can decipher from the RBoy app I was using).

I'm thinking the best scenario is just to schedule a refresh on it? Unless there are logs you can see from the support side to possibly determine if there's a driver issue? I do have an open case.