Could I have a bad device?

I am wondering if my new Hubitat c8 Pro could be a lemon.

I have moved a bunch of devices from Smarthings to my new Hubitat c8 pro. Some things went easily and others did not. I have several ghost devices that I cannot remove.

The problem is if I do most things in Zwave from settings, my zwave network quits working and I have to power cycle.

If I pair a device and it fails to complete, i have to power cycle.
If I try repair on a ghost device, I have to power cycle.
If I try refresh on a ghost device, I have to power cycle.
If I try to remove a ghost device(zwave is probably already offline, since I had to do a refresh to get here), I have to power cycle.

One odd thing, is when the hub gets into this odd mode, and I try different zwave buttons, nothing happens (like lights turning on/off) but I can see that the hub saw the button press in the logs. I can hit those buttons over and over and the hub just seems to be ignoring them. I can also see zigbee buttons recognized and still just ignored.

I was expecting a much more stable system since Hubitat has been around so long and buying a "Pro" version as well. Since I cant delete the ghost devices, they are piling up and I have about 10 now. I have had the device about a month and everytime there is a new firmware version available, I immediately install it hoping for better results, but no.

Could my hub just be a lemon?

Please provide your hub model (C7, C8, etc.) and its platform version from Settings>Hub Details.

Check out the following post for help troubleshooting problems and gathering details that will help others to identify and solve the problem you are experiencing: ‼ READ FIRST - Before Posting in Get Help

Welcome to the community and sorry you’re having such problems with your hub. First thing I would try is doing a reboot with the rebuild database option checked. If you have been pulling power without doing a controlled shutdown, database corruption may have occurred. After that, ghost removal, which others more familiar with those issues will surely chime in about. You can also go to “view logs” under “zwave details” and leave it open for a bit to see if you have a device spamming the radio.

2 Likes

This sounds super frustrating but z-wave ghosts can happen to any hub and can certainly cause all manner of problems until they’re successfully removed. Even that can be challenging for some stubborn ghosts.

This post has a lot of info about ghost busting, so might be helpful for your issue.

It’s possible your hub itself has a problem, but with those ghosts in the machine, there’s no way to further clarify that until they’re gone.

2 Likes

album cover GIF by uDiscoverMusic
Sorry, I couldn’t help myself

1 Like

Please refer to this post (which was in the post template and you posted a link to)

3 Likes