Costco Honeywell Z-Wave Smart Light Switch, 2-pack

FYI that Costco is selling the Model#47677 online now for $52.99 for 2.

https://www.costco.com/honeywell-z-wave-smart-light-switch%2C-2-pack.product.100579237.html

3 Likes

I don't believe that these are Z-wave plus. Given the price of Z-wave plus models is just about the same, I would not recommend these. They will have to be polled in order to track on-device changes.

They are Z-wave plus. 47677 is just the product number for the 2-pack. Each of the switches is a ZW4005/39348, which is certified as z-wave plus.

Like you, I still wouldn't get them. Zooz has more feature-rich switches available at about the same price.

3 Likes

I half-ass googled this without finding model 47677. If you zoom in on the picture it has "ZW4003" in the top left corner below the Honeywell logo.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/Search/Index?regionId=2&searchText=zw4003

What does it mean that so many of these products are [some manufacturer model/ZW4003 in the product identifier? Does that mean they all implement the same minimum feature set? If so, they may be Z-Wave+ based on that Z-Wave Alliance serach.

Ah, I see my eyes are bad. ZW4005. Roger that.

1 Like

Close. its ZW4005 - my magnifying class is better than yours :joy:

1 Like

Their own page doesn't list it as z-wave plus and it doesn't carry the z-wave plug logo.
https://byjasco.com/products-honeywell-z-wave-plus-wall-smart-switch-1

1 Like

Scroll through the image carousel on your link and you will eventually find a picture of the back of the switches. The plus logo is there. Maybe Honeywell as a company doesn't understand the importance that being plus is and just omitted it from their specs page by default.

5 Likes

Also in addition to what @codahq pointed out, there's "zwave switch" v/s "zwave smart switch" - Jasco badges their z-wave+ line as "smart". Seems to have carried over to HE drivers.

I like zooz myself but actually there's an advantage to the name brands. I've come to find out in areas with stricter electrical codes such as ours anything but Jasco/Leviton switches won't pass home inspections. Often times the inspectors won't sign off on it.

Where do you live?

Edit: Zooz switches are UL listed. So they are NEC compliant.

Northern CA. I know a few electricians that have had a hard time explaining to regular inspectors that Zooz/Inovelli stuff is just fine lol

I know a few people that have a hard time explaining to people in CA that breathing oxygen is okay. (Everybody who has breathed oxygen is known to have died! Every cancer patient breathed oxygen!) There is a lot of process, clout, overhead and attitude that CA knows better. "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California...", ROHS, insurance laws, etc. I got pretty sick of coding around the regulations of CA state law in my previous job.

5 Likes

Theo are back at costco now. Two for 49.99

I have about 40 of them and they work well. I would suggest in select areas though using the Jasco motion switch/dimmer. Won't have to get so many motion sensors that way.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Occupancy-Required-SmartThings-26931/dp/B07226MG2T

1 Like

They have the switches, the dimmers, outlets, and external plugs lady time I checked.

The pictures and description on the Costco site don't match up with what you get, you do get the newer Z-Wave plus S2 units with the switches and the dimmers.

That's only good for small rooms. I'd been sitting on one of these to replace a non-smart motion switch in my garage, and when I implemented it I pissed off everyone, even contractors at my house. It's a perfectly good Z-Wave relay and physical button, but the motion sensor will only pick you up within 8 feet and directly in front of the switch. It's the worst motion sensor switch I have, hands down :frowning:

I'm going to find some corner that really needs a z-wave relay and then disable the motion feature.

I have 3 in my garage and just combine them work great in there. Two in my laundry room and one in each of the bathrooms and combine with the nyce motion sensors so I can get motion and humidity. The range for me is a lot more than 8 feet though more like 20 or 30 feet. Maybe 8 feet or so off to the side.

1 Like

We tested it in all 3 sensitivity settings, and 8.5 feet directly in front of it was the longest range. We never got more than 2.5 feet to the side. But when I looked it up I slapped myself, as have a picture with the exact same range shown in their documentation.

I'm sure it works great in laundry rooms and bathrooms. And it's a great Z-wave client, like all the Jasco units. But it's completely useless in a larger room.

I was trying to figure out if the motion part of these switches are also zwave or does it look just like a normal switch/Dimmer to the Hub?