Controlling Lutron Caseta switches without Smart Bridge Pro

I have 61 Lutron devices paired to my SmartBridge Pro. They are the most reliable devices I have ever used for home automation. You won’t be disappointed. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

OK, great. I couldn't remember whether they were z-wave, but now I know. :slight_smile: I must say, the Wink NEVER has a problem with any device range. It is great that way. It's just lacking in so many other ways...

Thank you ogiewon!

Check out the following for details on how to extend the range of a Lutron Caseta network. 30ft is pretty conservative, IMHO. I do have one plug-in dimmer which acts as a repeater. I have had no issues.

3 Likes

Well... I checked and it does actually say 30ft. Let me put it this way... I have a 4,000 sq ft home with 3 stories and a basement. It is lath and plaster construction, which is basically a giant faraday cage. I have switches in the basement all the way to the third floor. No coverage issues and no repeaters. Oh and all my outlet boxes are metal!

4 Likes

I knew one of the engineers who worked on the original Wink hub. They were able to get Picos to work from ~200 ft away (admittedly mostly open air).

2 Likes

OK, sold! Our house is not that big, 3.6K ft^2 at most, neither lath nor plaster.

1 Like

Lutron's radio protocol is called Clear Connect, and transmits at 434 MHz. This is a much lower wavelength than either z-wave (~900 MHz) or zigbee (~2400 MHz). As a consequence, it goes much much farther, and also has great penetrance through the stuff that houses are made of - brick, wood, drywall.

3 Likes

@JDA it would make sense to pick a central location for your hub, though... mine is on the 1st floor in about the center of the house, along with my primary Hubitat and Hue hubs.

4 Likes

I have Caséta dimmers/switches connected to Hubitat via the Caséta Pro bridge (so a LAN integration), and z-wave dimmers/switches directly paired to Hubitat. My motion lighting automations are faster with the Caséta dimmers/switches than with z-wave ones.

I can't easily perceive the difference, but the logs indicate that the Caséta dimmers take ~150 msec from motion being detected to the dimmer reporting to Hubitat that it is on. With Z-wave dimmers, it is closer to 200-250 msec.

So @JDA - you're not losing out on anything by going with Caséta devices. Plus Pico remotes are incredibly versatile with Hubitat.

4 Likes

Thanks aaiyar! I just ordered the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro and the Hubitat. I'm very happy about this. Wink reliance on the cloud, inability to program beyond simple shortcuts and robots, not having a UI that provides a layout that makes sense to my system, etc. were all a little frustrating. That said, I did appreciate what it brought, which was ridiculously easy setup, connectivity with so many devices, etc. Anyway, thank you again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, thanks! I've bookmarked this for when my hardware comes in, which will be next week. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@aaiyar and myself are Wink refugees, so we have been there and done that.

I can't remember any speed decrease by using Hubitat vs Wink, and the versatility of the Pico with Hubitat is amazing. You can use them either tied in the Caseta bridge software to the switch, or better yet put the Pico into their own room in the Caseta bridge.

Using the second method of putting them in their own room, you can bring the Pico into Hubitat and use it for anything you want to. It is just a generic button at that point. You can control a Zigbee bulb, as a second remote switch for Zwave, with a Caseta dimmer, to use to trigger rules, or whatever else you can imagine. These can act a lot like the old Lutron Bulb Remote where they are more universal than just for Caseta dimmers.

And just to make it even more complicated and confusing :smile: , you can bring the Pico into Hubitat as Fast Pico with less button combinations, but faster response, or with an enhanced Pico driver where you can get press, hold, release and even double tap now. So you can have dozens of buttons all in one Pico unlike Wink.

It really is a fabulous setup with Lutron and Hubitat, I hope you are as happy with it as many of us are.

4 Likes

Another Wink refugee here, been there, done that. However, I have noticed a definite increase in the time between outages since switching from Wink to Hubitat. Outages used to be commonplace with Wink, have never had one with Hubitat in the two years since I migrated to Hubitat (except during the brief intervals when I updated firmware).

And yes, most of our lights are Lutron Caseta on the Pro bridge. Completely reliable, and migration from the C-5 to C-7 was trivial because most lights were on the Pro bridge.

5 Likes

Wink refugee here as well. Then went to ST. Then finally HE. It took me a while to get it right.

4 Likes

I have around 50+ lutron switches and dimmersm, they're tanks and they just work.

A secret though, if you're turning off groups of switches, you can make a lutron keypad tied to a scene within the integration then turn off that scene via rule machine and it's instant for everything instead of popcorning...

6 Likes