Controlling Lutron Caseta switches without Smart Bridge Pro

I have several lutron caseta switches on my first floor, currently connected by non-pro bridge, and controlled using either switches, or scenes I activate through google assistant ("Hey google, turn on all the lights")

I have a HE, but learned that I can't directly integrate Lutron without pro bridge.

I would like to add a motion sensor for my first floor, so that if there is no motion for 30mins, the lights can turn off.

Is there anyway I can accomplish this without spending another $100+ on the pro bridge? Even if I can't directly integrate lutron, I'm hoping there is a way through IFTTT or Google assistant scene activation.

Thank you!

You could make it happen via an Amazon Alexa 'Routine' (even if you don't have an Amazon Echo device.) Just install the Amazon Alexa mobile app on your phone, sign into your Amazon account, and then enable both the Hubitat Skill and the Lutron Caseta Skill. You can then use Hubitat motion and contact sensors (real and/or virtual) as triggers for the Alexa Routine that you create in the Alexa mobile app on your phone. Then have that Routine control the Caseta lights as you see fit.

The beauty of this is that it is free and performance is fast and reliable (although not as fast or reliable as using a SmartBridge Pro directly connected to your Hubitat hub over your LAN. :wink:

8 Likes

FWIW, the caseta pro bridge is pretty much universally regarded as money well spent. 100% local integration with HE.

4 Likes

Any thoughts on why this ebay user says the Pro bridge cannot be registered? $25 is a steal if it could be used with HE.

EDIT: conflicting reviews, ones says firmware cannot be upgraded, one says it works well (both from last month)

Just what i was looking for, thank you!

1 Like

Thank you. For someone who is just getting started on this, why is smart pro bridge so useful? So far, with the non-pro bridge, I am able to tell google to control the switches, and automate some daily routines, etc. If I can also do the automatic lights-off for vacancy using the alexa routine, i think i will be pretty happy.

What are some of the major use cases that I will get with the pro bridge that I'm not getting with non-pro bridge? I've heard people using pico remotes for more than controlling just lutron caseta switches, but i guess i'm failing to see what other kinds of things I would actually control that's useful, so i'm curious to hear about some good examples.

Having everything work quickly and reliably, even when your internet connection is down, is pretty awesome. Using Pico remotes to control non-Lutron devices is great. In fact, I bought my SmartBridge Pro2 just for Pico remotes. I liked the Lutron ecosystem so much that I replaced all of my switches, dimmers, and fan controllers with Lutron Caseta.

3 Likes

This is the old version. The new version is L-BDGPRO2. Among other changes, the upgrade includes HomeKit compatibility. The old ones do not receive any updates. Lutron has a liberal replacement policy and will exchange the old for the new. But buying these old ones just to exchange is a fair bit on the sleazy side IMO.

3 Likes

I use Picos for several things via Hubitat's Smartbridge Pro integration:

1. In four rooms, I use a Pico remote control either the zigbee bulbs in a lamp or a Caseta dimmer (based on time of day). All this happens with no delay thanks to the local integration.
  2. I use a Pico to trigger my Goodnight routine.
  3. I use a Pico remote to control the head position in my sleep number bed. Same remote can also set bed inflation level (sleep number)
  4. I use Pico remotes to control z-wave outlets in my attic.
  5. I use Pico remotes to control Sonos speakers (volume + track forward/backward).
  6. I have a number of Tradfri zigbee outlets. I use Pico remotes to turn them on/off.

@ogiewon pointed out a couple weeks ago that Pico remotes can be used in a car to control a garage door opener. I've heard of people using Pico remotes as door bells.

Anything that you need a button controller for ......

Edit:
Ooh - just remembered, I have Pico mounted under the lip of the kitchen counter to unlock and lock my front/back door locks.

5 Likes

Thanks Aaiyar - that's quite a lot of functions, and I think I'm starting to understand the value. My next question is why pico remotes over something like smartthings button for $15? is it mainly that you get a lot more buttons per remote, and therefore you can configure 5x actions?

It goes beyond that.

Lutron ClearConnect uses a really low frequency (around 400 MHz) - so it travels really really well through materials that homes are constructed with. As such their reliability is much better than z-wave remotes (~900 MHz) or zigbee remotes (~2400 MHz).

In my small house, I have seen signals from z-wave and zigbee remotes fail on occasion. I have never seen a Pico remote fail ....

4 Likes

Pico battery life is about 10 years. So that is a huge plus. They are inexpensive, and high quality.

It is much nicer to be able to dim using these vs a one button remote where you either cannot dim at all, or you have to have some convoluted rule where you would cycle through dimmer levels.

You are also mostly correct about 5X actions, you actually can have a lot more than that depending upon how you configure the button. You can actually used pressed, released, and held events in Pico.

I also use a single Pico for more than one function. I have a 4 button Pico that runs a ceiling fan and light combo, two buttons for each. That allows me to dim, change fan speeds, and everything with only one Pico.

Pico are simply the most versatile, reliable, and (IMO) best looking buttons available.

4 Likes

I will just second this as being the biggest draw for me. The lutron stuff just works.

Search the forums and you will see many many threads related to zwave headaches (even prior to C7).

You will find a much smaller amount of people having issues with their lutron.

Just one guys opinion...

6 Likes

Lurton has been so reliable I often forget about my plagued Z-wave days. I can recall several nights I had to go down to flip the breaker to reset a faulty Z-switch before turning the lights out for the night. I'd almost consider redeploying some of my Z-swtches until I had to help someone fix the same issue the same way.

Not everyone has issue with Z-wave switches, but like @cwwilson08 mentioned do some searches for Z-wave issue and Lutron issue and you'll likely see a pattern.

So as for the $100 price tag "you get what you pay for" :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like this would work, but you lose the advantage of local processing.

Ditto. Lutron is awesome. And it just works!

Lutron is cool especially the picos but you have to really like the look of the switches/dimmers. It's a little too "high tech" for our tastes. In our area toggles (and paddles) seem to be the norm. Going with the RA2 stuff to get the paddle look is too expensive to consider unless I was doing a new-build or major renovation.

2 Likes

I'm with you on that one re: the Caseta design. The other Lutron product lines that can integrate with Hubitat come in a variety of designs, including regular decora/paddle switches. But they are not easy on the wallet...

1 Like

That is a frequent complaint - Lutron could have gone with a more conventional look. Luckily for me (single, confirmed bachelor), the only person whose long-term tastes matter is me :rofl:

But in the end, for uniformity, I replaced >90% of my switches with Caseta switches/dimmers/remotes - leaving only closets and bathrooms as z-wave.

If we all get through Covid physically and financially unscathed, in a couple years, I'm planning a semi-major/minor remodel. One of the plans is to install an RA2 system ....

3 Likes

:point_up: :crossed_fingers:

This..
(getting through the covid bit!)

2 Likes