Contact sensor with temperature? Suggestions?

I have one thatā€™s like 8 years old. I forget the make but I remember it was discontinued even then and cost a lot on eBay. Worked well though. Is there something similar I can buy today? Thank you

Aeotec still make the old Smartthings zigbee contact sensor which has a temperature reading.

As @sburke781 mentions these work. They are a bit expensive. I wish you could still get the old Iris V2 sensor they work great. I wish I had more of them.

XFINITY XHS2-UE

3 Likes

Google "z-wave contact sensor with temperature" you will find a few.

NEO Cool cam (although I will NOT purchase from AliExpress)
Fibaro

likely others.

Depending which protocol you are looking at. most Zigbee contact sensor comes with temp sensor and there are tons on Amazon.

There has to be a catch to this, right?

I don't have any myself, stocked up on these before they sold out, but @rlithgow1 has recommended the XFINITY XHS2-UE several times.

1 Like

@ 4 bux a sensor (also includes temp) it can't be beat

I recently got a lot of 10 for about that price. My question is how do you get it to check in consistently with temp updates? I paired the first one last night and have tried to initiate refreshes on it (to get temp to update) but it doesn't respond. I've got it set to 0.25C in the settings. It has reported in but seems inconsistent. Sensor was paired around 9:30 PM last night. It checked in at 10:02, 11:20, 11:46 and then not again until 2:48am. And again at 3:14am, 4:32am, 4:58am, 5:50am, 6:16am, and 8:52am.

I started a rule that refreshes this sensor every 15 minutes at 6:45 this morning but it hasn't replied to any of those with an update, so that must not work. Maybe those times I listed are when the temp swung by 0.25C or more, but they just seem like they're bunched up with big gaps.

I simply have it reporting on an 0.5 degree change... I mean I would not want it reporting all the time so reporting on change is all that's really necessary

The catch is theyā€™re old, deprecated, never-sold-as-retail sensors.

I bought a couple here based on the hype and I thought they were junk. Ate battery like a teenager at a buffet, couldnā€™t get the temp reporting like I wanted it. I have zero doubt people here genuinely like them, but they werenā€™t for me.

+1 for the SmartThings/Aeotec contact recommendation. I have 1 and it has performed great. Good battery life, reliable contact* reporting. (I donā€™t pay any attention to the temperature reporting, other than it does it.)

*Iā€™m actually using the accelerometer in ā€˜garage door mode.ā€™

And you're pretty confident that it is picking up those changes consistently? It just concerned me because I have that set to On 0.25C Change and it seemed to update in clusters (many updates, large gap, many updates, large gap). I've only had one temp update since 8:52am (at 1:11 pm) and it went from 68F (20C) to 66.20F (19C), which is obviously exactly 1 degree Celsius change, not 0.25.

I haven't noticed any issues myself. I use a few temp based triggers with them and it's always seemed to be steady

I can confirm that I am only getting updates on changes of 1 degree C, not 0.25. Do you know why that would be? I have edited the preference, clicked configure, etc. and I can't get it to report at anything more (or less, depending on how you think about it) than 1C.

As you can see, if you convert any of the temperatures shown in the events list, you get a whole degree C.

And here are the device settings:

@mike.maxwell this is using the generic contact sensor driver. Any thoughts?

Not all devices honor reporting configuration changes, the driver can't really tell if the device is going to respect them or not.
We know that most if not all third reality devices ignore reporting configurations, there may be others.

Is there any reason that the device wouldn't respond to a refresh request? I've had problems with Samsung Multisensors and now these Xfinity ones that you ask for a refresh but no temp update. I've got about 15 of these doing that now (5 or so Samsung V4s and 10 of these).

The Samsung sensors just started this out of nowhere (not all are exhibiting but most are - I had attributed to perhaps just getting old) but now these as well, when they were spoken of so highly in the community.

I don't think most (if any?) battery devices will respond to a Refresh command -- since they aren't mains-powered, they don't want to waste power listening to the Hub for something like that.

I just tried refreshing two Visonic MCT-340 contact sensors that have not been triggered for contact in days or weeks, likely. Both reporting temperature regularly. On refresh I get battery, but I don't get temp.

Tried two Iris v2 motions, both also motion untriggered for days at least, though they are reporting temp regularly. Both gave me battery and temp.

So does seem to be device-specific (assuming not a driver issue), at least from my small test. Both devices are using the built-in Generic Zigbee driver for their device types.

1 Like