Considering Hubitat - Question on Timers

I could, but why should I? The current method has worked fine for years now. And there is no delay waiting for the motion sensor to turn on the lights; they are on before I even get the door open.

I appreciate the suggestions but I shouldn't need a work-around for a problem that doesn't exist outside of Hubitat.

While I understand it should "just work," personally I would take a reliable HA system with a simple work around over dealing with an unreliable one as you stated in your original post.

1 Like

Agreed, but there are other alternatives out there (also looking at Home Assistant).

I have to disagree that the problem does not exist outside of Hubitat. A number of us who came over from SmartThings had odd problems that we now believe were due to the SmartThings "fix" for the Schlage Z-Wave lock problems - to reboot the Z-Wave radio (resulting in lost events from other devices). I'll say it may be a bad combination but I don't put all of it on Hubitat based on my experience and what I have learned since leaving SmartThings.

But, I understand it is important to your solution and you would prefer not to kludge.

1 Like

What kind of unreliable issues have you been having with Homeseer ?

I’m currently looking at their public beta and feel disappointed.

Hubitat seems in my eyes to be much farther ahead. Obviously it doesn’t have as much intergration but a few key pieces are still missing.

• grouping multiple motion sensors (easytrigger sure but it’s not working in hs4)
  • Virtual contact sensors to trigger Alexa routines
  • so many plugins require updates
  • cost for plugins
  • lack of community drivers

There's a separate plugin from Alex available that does grouping of sensors far better. Kinda funny that EasyTrigger isn't working correctly when Spud is on HST payroll....

Not only contact sensors but motion sensors or variables. HS is way behind the game when it comes to voice assistants. Their MyHS isn't even stable.

This is why I stopped all of my development. When HS4 was first brought to the developers I looked at it and said WTF!!!! and said that quite loudly and literally... I'm not very welcomed anymore and I left my plugins to other capable developers... Michael has posted it was at least 50% re-write of Hubitat to work with HS4... no way was I going to do that much work just to support the stupid new UI with ZERO actual real new features.

Those plugins aren't easy and they take a lot of time. I value my time in development and more so it's hard to support that system when user's typically screw things up on their systems especially those trying to run Linux and no nothing about Linux.

What drivers? Everything is a plugin!!!

Lol to funny.

There’s just way to much features missing to replicate what I have with Hubitat.

I’ve lost all track of why I even started down this path. I’ve managed to get Hubitat working reliably.

Guess I’m cheap, and feel I have to give it a full in depth look over the next year since I paid for it.

But as of now, it’s lacking to much!

And forgot to mention the lack of ZigBee, which to be fair they are suppose to support.

In terms of drivers, something like the Aeotec doorbell 6 isn’t compatible.

Don't hold your breath as you will NOT survive.

there's a lot of devices missing especially newer devices. They are very very slow about adding devices and some they flat out refuse to. I personally think it's a lack of skill set to do so.

Welcome!
I would not be so sure. The app Reliable Locks have helpen many users with Schlage locks...
RogerThat

Well, for 80 bucks it's a no-brainer to buy one and test the Schlage lock for myself. I know there were issues originally with the Schlage lock because it was one of the first devices to use secure node, or whatever z-wave calls it, and most other devices, at the time, did not support it. So they couldn't mesh with the lock and range issues caused the problems. Today that is not a problem; any new device supports the security features, so the problem went away. I have several z-wave plus devices within feet of my Schlage lock, and I suspect that is why I never have a problems.

I would gladly replace the lock with a newer, z-wave plus lock, but I don't have a deadbolt on that door, and nobody makes a straight handle lock with z-wave plus. All the newer locks are strictly deadbolts.

Are you talking Handleset?

https://shopyalehome.com/collections/bundle/products/assure-lock-sl-with-jamestown-handleset?variant=28400458301540

No, the lock is in the doorknob assembly. There is no deadbolt. 319

That is the Schlage FE599. Mine works with Hubitat 95% of the time, but I wouldn't recommend it, because there are other locks that work 100% of the time.

Yes, that was just a picture to clarify what I am using. Mine is actually a much older model, but it has worked without issue for years with both Vera and currently Homeseer.

Wouldn't count on that happening with Hubitat. I'm replacing my FE599 with a Yale zigbee lever lock next week.

It does beg the question and continued investigation as to why certain devices.... in particular locks do work without issue on some platforms but do not work on others. Most of these "issues" are all Z-Wave as well.

I'm aware of the "tricks" ST played but I know from experience and development with Vera and HS that they don't reset the Z-Wave interface on a regular basis nor try to hide that. Vera resets their LUUP engine every 6 minutes!!! and they tout it as added reliability feature so I'm sure if they reset the z-wave radio they would be promoting that too! Vera and HomeSeer logs are wide open and all information is available.

Sorry I just don't buy into this notion of it being a device issue when those devices work fine on numerous other controllers but then have issues on HE and suddenly it's a device issue.

I understand they (Vera) do a nightly zwave network heal. I know there are some Hubitat users (@jtmpush18) who do that regularly with their Hubitats as well.

In any event, my perspective is that if someone is buying into Hubitat right now as a new user, they had best be aware that Schlage locks don't work well with this platform and are off the compatibility list.

1 Like

The nightly heal is an option on Vera, and one I chose not to implement. I don't know if it's an issue with z-wave or the Vera implementation, but when I tried the nightly heal they did more harm than good.

Like I said, my older Schlage z-wave (not plus) lock worked fine on both Vers and Homeseer. Based on what I am reading here, I suspect that the problem may be with range, and I have 2 z-wave plus switches less than 2 feet from the lock, and my z-wave dongle is only 10-15 feet away.

This is very valid and I completely agree.

Vera has an option to do this and it's legacy. The reality is that z-wave heal/optimize/repair whatever you want to call it is not a necessary thing with z-wave plus except when initially setting up the mesh as it's being extended to initially build the routes. Doing a nightly is a band-aid for bad node behavior or faulty controller implementations. Unfortunately both exist.

1 Like