Considering Hubitat - Question on Timers

Well, for 80 bucks it's a no-brainer to buy one and test the Schlage lock for myself. I know there were issues originally with the Schlage lock because it was one of the first devices to use secure node, or whatever z-wave calls it, and most other devices, at the time, did not support it. So they couldn't mesh with the lock and range issues caused the problems. Today that is not a problem; any new device supports the security features, so the problem went away. I have several z-wave plus devices within feet of my Schlage lock, and I suspect that is why I never have a problems.

I would gladly replace the lock with a newer, z-wave plus lock, but I don't have a deadbolt on that door, and nobody makes a straight handle lock with z-wave plus. All the newer locks are strictly deadbolts.

Are you talking Handleset?

https://shopyalehome.com/collections/bundle/products/assure-lock-sl-with-jamestown-handleset?variant=28400458301540

No, the lock is in the doorknob assembly. There is no deadbolt. 319

That is the Schlage FE599. Mine works with Hubitat 95% of the time, but I wouldn't recommend it, because there are other locks that work 100% of the time.

Yes, that was just a picture to clarify what I am using. Mine is actually a much older model, but it has worked without issue for years with both Vera and currently Homeseer.

Wouldn't count on that happening with Hubitat. I'm replacing my FE599 with a Yale zigbee lever lock next week.

It does beg the question and continued investigation as to why certain devices.... in particular locks do work without issue on some platforms but do not work on others. Most of these "issues" are all Z-Wave as well.

I'm aware of the "tricks" ST played but I know from experience and development with Vera and HS that they don't reset the Z-Wave interface on a regular basis nor try to hide that. Vera resets their LUUP engine every 6 minutes!!! and they tout it as added reliability feature so I'm sure if they reset the z-wave radio they would be promoting that too! Vera and HomeSeer logs are wide open and all information is available.

Sorry I just don't buy into this notion of it being a device issue when those devices work fine on numerous other controllers but then have issues on HE and suddenly it's a device issue.

I understand they (Vera) do a nightly zwave network heal. I know there are some Hubitat users (@jtmpush18) who do that regularly with their Hubitats as well.

In any event, my perspective is that if someone is buying into Hubitat right now as a new user, they had best be aware that Schlage locks don't work well with this platform and are off the compatibility list.

1 Like

The nightly heal is an option on Vera, and one I chose not to implement. I don't know if it's an issue with z-wave or the Vera implementation, but when I tried the nightly heal they did more harm than good.

Like I said, my older Schlage z-wave (not plus) lock worked fine on both Vers and Homeseer. Based on what I am reading here, I suspect that the problem may be with range, and I have 2 z-wave plus switches less than 2 feet from the lock, and my z-wave dongle is only 10-15 feet away.

This is very valid and I completely agree.

Vera has an option to do this and it's legacy. The reality is that z-wave heal/optimize/repair whatever you want to call it is not a necessary thing with z-wave plus except when initially setting up the mesh as it's being extended to initially build the routes. Doing a nightly is a band-aid for bad node behavior or faulty controller implementations. Unfortunately both exist.

1 Like