Connection lost periodically (cloud unavailable)

I hope that Hubitat staff will weigh in on this. I was trying to leave home today and couldn't set access to the system to arm. Can anyone help me understand why this would be happening periodically?

Thank

you!

If home, you shouldn't need to use cloud interface to arm your system. HSM, monile app, or any dashboards you may use run local, so you should always be able to change modes.

Regarding the cloud connectivity, check out this post:

Thanks for the reply. No changes on my network. I agree that if I am home, the use of the Hubitat cloud interface should not affect the arming process. HOWEVER... I was unable to arm. The app on my iPhone was just a spinning circle graphic. It was not until about 15 minutes later, when the Hubiat app connectivity error cleared, that I could arm.

Posting this because I find it not only odd but disheartening.

-peter-

How did you initiate the change, what exactly did you use to send the command?

I did nothing ---- just waited about 15 minutes, and the alert on my iPhone cleared up. I was then able to arm as usual.

-peter-

I understand that. But what did you use to send the command to change the mode (E.G used a dashboard tile, used the HSM integration in the mobile app, or something else).

I usually use Modes that I have configured. My three Modes call HSM conditions.

I just conducted a test by disconnecting the cable to my Xfinity ISP. From inside my home, without internet access, I can access Dashboards, but NOT Modes. Does that make sense?

-peter-

If you disconnect your cable, then your mobile device switches to cellular network, so to reach the hub you must use the cloud connection.

In order to test the local processing, you could just cut the hub's access to the internet from the router's client settings, and ensure the mobile device is connected to your home Wi-Fi. That way the mobile device can talk to the hub over your local network, and not via cloud.

Thanks, Bobby; my Hubitat is connected via Wi-Fi to my home router. I am not sure how to "cut the hub's access to the internet from the router's client settings". Could you possibly expand on that a bit?

Thank you!
-peter-

I am not familiar with Xfinity routers, but if you check the manual, it should tell you how to disable internet access for a specic device that is connected to your network.

Thank you, Bobby. I will explore further.

May I ask which is my best method to control the state of my Hubitat; Dashboards or Modes?

After unplugging the cable from your modem/router, I think if you turn off mobile data on your phone, it will continue to use the Wi-Fi, and provide access to your internal LAN and devices.

Thanks for that info - I will test.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Dashboards can be used to manually arm or disarm Hubitat safety monitor.

Or you can configure Hubitat safety monitor to arm or disarm triggered by Hubitat mode changes.

And there are several ways to automate the changing of Hubitat modes.

So it really depends on what you’d like to accomplish.

1 Like

Good information, thank you!