Connecting August Lock Pro

Try hitting Refresh until a Remove option appears. It sometimes takes many times.

1 Like

Definitely the most painful Z-Wave inclusion process I've been through - over an hour of multiple inclusions/exclusions, with and without the August Connect WiFi hub (made no apparent difference) only to find the same flaky "locked/unlocked" status as described above. Curiously, the "door open" status based on the companion magnetic door sensor was rock solid - only the state of the deadbolt was not being consistently reported, (resulting in some amusing "open+locked" status combinations.)

My perception is there appears to be a timing incompatibility between the cheesy August Home app and the HE, which both have exceptionally short time-out periods during the Z-wave S2 security verification stage. While the HE inclusion user interface pops up a dialog box allowing a short period to choose between S2 and S0 security levels, the app is intolerant of the delay in inclusion confirmation and then claims the lock is unable to connect – even though it is subsequently shown by the hub to have been successfully included during the nominally "unsuccessful" process.

I really wanted to like the August Pro, mostly because of the elegant mechanical design and relatively minimalist cosmetics (high WA factor) - not to mention the modest cost - but this one is going back to Amazon.

Greetings "Steve". I agree. The design, look and feel of the August lock attracted me as well. The competitive price, especially when on-sale, is also appealing. I tried the 3rd gen as well with very similar results as you reported. I eventually gave up on the Z-wave connection as it was too unstable to be of value. I tried the wifi bridge and it too was unreliable. I gave up on 3rd gen and sent it back. I installed a Schlage in it's place. (By the way, I had a very similar experience with Schlage Z-Wave and replaced it with a WiFi version, which now has not failed). But I didn't want to give up on August. I tried the 4th gen. It does not connect via Z-wave (consequently not to Hubitat) but I found this generations WiFi much more stable than the Z-Wave version. So far, neither WiFi version of Schlage or August have failed. (knock on wood please)
I know one question is how does it integrate with Hubitat. Well, I love my Hubitat, however I have a hybrid of sorts. Most things, as much as possible, are connected via Hubitat, using both zigbee and z-wave, and it (Hubitat) to Alexa for voice command. The few things that don't work well with Hubitat or need WiFi, are connected to Alexa. Together I believe this creates a robust system and everything is in this way tied together. This is, so far, my solution. I'm not sure if this helps you or others, but hopefully offers at least one option.
"Long Live Hubitat!"

No Z-wave or Zigbee is a deal breaker for me since I want to keep as much as possible controlled and managed locally on Hubitat. I've already compromised my standard by incorporating a YoLink mailbox sensor but it's a slippery slope to adding on more hubs or relays and management apps. Even the couple of diddly-■■■■ Tuya wifi outlets that are connected to Alexa rub me the wrong way with their proprietary protocol and crappy Chinese app (though I understand they can be reflashed.)

Just checking back in, I never did get my August lock to successfully add with Hubitat. After 20 or so stuck attempts I put it on the back burner. It was interesting as each attempt used a Zwave ID that wouldn't be reused after adding it.

Finally got the lock connected. I ended up selecting S2 security. This causes the August android app to immediately throw an error, but if I type in the 5 digit Zwave prefix and continue on the Hubitat webpage, I'm able to successfully finish pairing and everyone was happy. I did a couple factory resets of the lock, repaired my Zwave mesh, rebooted the hub, and finally got it paired using the S2 security. Lock is back on the door and seems to be super reliable.