Connecting August Lock Pro

Yeah I have excluded it, brought the Hub closer, trying without Factory Reset (really hope that is not needed). The lock is working very well and don't want to do everything from scratch again.

are you keeping the August app open the entire time you are trying to pair it? One thing I have noticed in the past, if you switch out of the August app during the pairing process, pairing will fail.

App is open, now I got to the below screen and it is asking for me to match security codes. Problem is I have not idea where to find that. There are 35 of numbers to the left of the box.

Anyone knows where to find this?

It wants the first 5 numbers of the group of numbers, just like the text says.

Edit: details here:
https://support.august.com/z-wave-compatibility-HJlwIJRdz#

There is a z-wave plus sticker on the backside of the faceplate that has your 5-digit code.

Yes, found the code. Thanks everyone for the help.

I have tried everything and even did a factory reset on the lock, and it did get added. But I got an error on the August app, and the lock though added in Hubitat, and is on my dashboard, is not working. Not sure if this is a sign that this Hub is not a good choice for me.

I am willing to try something different to make this work - any suggestions please?

When you say “is not working”, what do you mean?

(1) what driver is the lock using? Did you press save then configure after setting the parameters?

(2) are you able to unlock and unlock the lock from the device page?

(3) might be helpful to post some screenshots showing how it is configured.

(4) do you have a beaming repeater within a few feet of the lock? You probably need one.

@april.brandt and some others have reported lock difficulty with some of the recent firmware releases. Try rolling back to 2.2.3.135, see if that helps.

I paired 2 of these to My C7 with .148 a week or two ago, and both are working for me.

A few notes:

1. Bring the lock close to the hub for pairing. It is pretty easy to remove and replace.
  2. In both cases, the August app gave error immediately when the S2 screen appeared in the inclusion screen. Don't worry. Leave the app and lock as they are.
  3. After entering the code, be patient. It took quite some time for the hub to complete the pairing.

I really struggled to add my locks in Hubitat. The only way I could get it to pair was to uncheck "Security 2 Class 2 - Access Control" when prompted to accept security keys. "Security 0 - Unauthenticated" is still checked.

What is the level and nature of risk in doing this? As of now, I do not have any automations that locks/unlocks doors. I only monitor the lock/unlocked status for triggering automations.

Greetings alexcapone. I was able to connect my August pro 3rd gen. I tried just pairing with HE without success. Then I opened the August Smart app and after several attempts, cycling z-wave include and z-wave exclude, and installing the August Home app created by someone smart smart (found in Hubitat program manager) was able to get HE to recognize and include. Then adding this to Alexa both HE and Alexa can operate the device. HOWEVER, monitoring doesn't seem to work as it doesn't properly report "locked" or "unlocked". It's a guess. I have since removed the August Home app and am using the native generic z-wave lock driver without change in results.
I say all this not knowing if it is all helpful to you, and if you found a way to correct the reporting issue, I'm interested.

I was able to successfully add another z-wave August lock after spending a whole evening on it. After about an hour I added it with s2 security (no other option now that we're on hub version 2.2.8). But I ran into the same problem as you where it did not report the locked/unlocked state.

After fiddling for about 2 more hours I got it added and now I see the locked/unlocked state as well. Not sure if it was something I did with the zstick or just 2 hours of repeated inclusion/exclusion/hub shutdowns that finally made it magically work.

Thank you. I think that is the thing. I like these locks, I still want them to work. I switched one to using the wifi bridge which seems more reliable, but always a little trepidation persists. I have a second Z-Wave August I will continue trying. I'm glad and encouraged you got your's working. We'll all keep working on this.

Hi all, I'm migrating from Smarthings to Hubitat. I have one August v3 Pro that I
had connected via Zwave, and was trying to connect the same way to Hubitat.

I ran into the issues described above with the lock saying it was connected but the hub pairing never getting beyond the initialization step with the spinning image until the time counts down to zero. I've gone through several exclusion, factory reset and inclusion cycles without success.

At some point I appear to have gotten the lock 'stuck'. The August app doesn't show the lock as being part of a Zwave network (it did on previous attempts), but it shows up in the Zwave pairing process each time each time its run, never getting past initialization.

Looking in the Zwave details page I can see the stuck device (it doesn't show up under devices).

Is there any way I can get rid of it?

Try hitting Refresh until a Remove option appears. It sometimes takes many times.

1 Like

Definitely the most painful Z-Wave inclusion process I've been through - over an hour of multiple inclusions/exclusions, with and without the August Connect WiFi hub (made no apparent difference) only to find the same flaky "locked/unlocked" status as described above. Curiously, the "door open" status based on the companion magnetic door sensor was rock solid - only the state of the deadbolt was not being consistently reported, (resulting in some amusing "open+locked" status combinations.)

My perception is there appears to be a timing incompatibility between the cheesy August Home app and the HE, which both have exceptionally short time-out periods during the Z-wave S2 security verification stage. While the HE inclusion user interface pops up a dialog box allowing a short period to choose between S2 and S0 security levels, the app is intolerant of the delay in inclusion confirmation and then claims the lock is unable to connect – even though it is subsequently shown by the hub to have been successfully included during the nominally "unsuccessful" process.

I really wanted to like the August Pro, mostly because of the elegant mechanical design and relatively minimalist cosmetics (high WA factor) - not to mention the modest cost - but this one is going back to Amazon.

Greetings "Steve". I agree. The design, look and feel of the August lock attracted me as well. The competitive price, especially when on-sale, is also appealing. I tried the 3rd gen as well with very similar results as you reported. I eventually gave up on the Z-wave connection as it was too unstable to be of value. I tried the wifi bridge and it too was unreliable. I gave up on 3rd gen and sent it back. I installed a Schlage in it's place. (By the way, I had a very similar experience with Schlage Z-Wave and replaced it with a WiFi version, which now has not failed). But I didn't want to give up on August. I tried the 4th gen. It does not connect via Z-wave (consequently not to Hubitat) but I found this generations WiFi much more stable than the Z-Wave version. So far, neither WiFi version of Schlage or August have failed. (knock on wood please)
I know one question is how does it integrate with Hubitat. Well, I love my Hubitat, however I have a hybrid of sorts. Most things, as much as possible, are connected via Hubitat, using both zigbee and z-wave, and it (Hubitat) to Alexa for voice command. The few things that don't work well with Hubitat or need WiFi, are connected to Alexa. Together I believe this creates a robust system and everything is in this way tied together. This is, so far, my solution. I'm not sure if this helps you or others, but hopefully offers at least one option.
"Long Live Hubitat!"

No Z-wave or Zigbee is a deal breaker for me since I want to keep as much as possible controlled and managed locally on Hubitat. I've already compromised my standard by incorporating a YoLink mailbox sensor but it's a slippery slope to adding on more hubs or relays and management apps. Even the couple of diddly-■■■■ Tuya wifi outlets that are connected to Alexa rub me the wrong way with their proprietary protocol and crappy Chinese app (though I understand they can be reflashed.)

Just checking back in, I never did get my August lock to successfully add with Hubitat. After 20 or so stuck attempts I put it on the back burner. It was interesting as each attempt used a Zwave ID that wouldn't be reused after adding it.

Finally got the lock connected. I ended up selecting S2 security. This causes the August android app to immediately throw an error, but if I type in the 5 digit Zwave prefix and continue on the Hubitat webpage, I'm able to successfully finish pairing and everyone was happy. I did a couple factory resets of the lock, repaired my Zwave mesh, rebooted the hub, and finally got it paired using the S2 security. Lock is back on the door and seems to be super reliable.