[Comments & Feedback] Most Popular Contact Sensors in 2023

Hope it's ok to keep adding to this thread. I just got the Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 Pro.

Setup was easy. Include was easy. It's pretty small. Attaching it to my garage door was easy. Swapping it out in the condition for my "garage door left open" rule (which the recent Genie update broke) was easy.

Zwave Door Sensor Window Sensor, Z-Wave Plus Enabled Aeotec 3-1 Door Window Sensor 7 Pro, Zwave Hub Required, Gen 7, White (Door / Window Sensor 7 Pro) Amazon.com

The one thing I don't like about it is it isn't LR.... I found the zooz indoor/outdoor LR to be really good, but for windows I've exclusively used the XFINITY XHS2-UE sensors. Small, batteries last a year and they're only $4.00 each on ebay (41 bux for a lot of 10). they also have temp... 4.00 bux vs 46.00 is a huge deal.

2 Likes

You had recommended these a while back. I picked up 20 and could not be happier. Then I think about what they cost and then............wouldn't you know it, I'm happier. :smiley:

1 Like

My only beef with them is that they report 100% battery no matter what (even when totally dead). But the batteries last an impressively long time, and I just use Device Activity Check to tell me when a battery is actually dead (i.e. no reports recently received).

But for the price and overall excellent performance, the battery-reporting thing is no big deal at all -- it's just something to be aware of.

1 Like

They report 100 and drop like that because the batteries are Lithium. It's the battery design. If they were alkaline it would read normally.

1 Like

I'm well aware of lithium vs alkaline EOL performance/reporting disparities. I use lithium exclusively for my smart devices (coin cell or otherwise), and these devices are the only ones that never budge from 100% at any point.

It's a reporting issue unique to these devices -- I'm not convinced an alkaline would be any different for these. But again, it's totally no big deal at all -- as long as you're just aware of it, there are tools like DAC that work great to help keep an eye on 'em.

I used to track & monitor battery %s in a corresponding dashboard for all my battery stuff, but I don't bother anymore... The lithium drop-off in any given device is just too wonky to try to "game" when it's time to replace.

I now just rely on DAC exclusively** to tell me when a battery device is dead -- life is much simpler that way.

** - except for my smart lock. Like my (dumb) smoke detectors, I replace those batteries annually as an abundance of caution.

4 Likes

Same

1 Like

Bottom line, great sensors! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I also use the XFINITY XHS2-UE (which are really Visonic MCT-350) sensors.
Primarily for door contact, but I also use use them in my fridges and freezer (suitably encased in plastic), to indicate if the door has been left open.
I (also) keep an eye on them with the Device Activity Report.
I use a threshold of 12 hours - no report means that I have to take a look at the device (usually that means the battery needs to be replaced.

+1, I love these. My only gripe is the batteries only last 6 months for me, but well worth it for the temp sensor. And I use one on my garage for the title sensor.

I'm tight and hate changing batteries.

Had these running for years.

Summary

I'm not paying 20 quid per sensor and checking the batteries every few months to check to see everything's still working. Been there and done that with smartthings and a handful of zigbee modules. All gone in the bin now.

Where did you buy them?

Put in a few more zigbee repeaters. May help that. Mine last about a year.

Sadly, they are no longer available. The last large batch around was at a liquidator in 2020.

You can sometimes find them on Amazon and Ebay. I bought one last December from Amazon. It just needed a new battery and paired easily.

Got one of these to try and it is working very nicely...too early to confirm long-term battery life (so far so good), stays on my C8 mesh and reports quickly/reliably. It's nice and small, less obtrusive than most. I originally ordered it on Amazon/US, but I don't see it there now.

SONOFF is coming with a new Zigbee Water Leak Sensor | SNZB-05P :

The optional kit seems interesting.
It is expected to work OK with the HE inbuilt driver.

2 Likes

A sensor with a long cable for less than $20? Awesome! Too bad about the weird battery though.

What's wrong w/the 2477 they use? 4 to 5 years of battery life is pretty great. That size is readily available, at least via Amazon/US, don't know about other areas.

2 Likes

I didn't read far enough to see the battery life, that makes the odd battery less of a hassle for sure.

2 Likes