[Comments & Feedback] Most Popular Contact Sensors in 2023

more like 1cm thick. just eyeballing it. I can measure if you'd like.

I'd love that. I'll pay by the hour for your time. Oops, less than an hour, so it's free!!

the sensor itself (minus magnetic part) is 1 1/4" x 1 5/8" at its widest point (slightly rounded) and just over 1/2" thick.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks very much for taking the time to measure accurately. Just to be a good citizen and pay it forward I added those measurements to the Amazon listing using the Q&A feature.

1 Like

I have a boatload of these - probably 40 installed. Got most for either $5 or $9 each. They've mostly been unbelievably reliable... except for 2, which when the (non-rechargable) CR2 battery got low they started to throw bogus open/close events. This wouldn't be much of an issue, except that they are on windows I monitor with HSM, and this happened when I was away (thus it was armed-away). So all of a sudden I started getting HSM alerts for a open/close events on window on the 2nd floor, while I was 2000 miles away. Thankfully with remote admin I was able to just go in and remove that window from HSM. But then a few days later it happened to a different window.

This happened when both devices were at 25% battery, and they'd been in service for nearly 2.5 years. These were still on the original battery that came with the devices.

I've replaced about 30 batteries in these this year (since they are all about 2.5 years old), and most of them have just stopped reporting as the battery got low.

I still love these contact sensors.

The one I want to nominate is the Aqara contact sensor (the "original" not the new Matter version)...it's the smallest I've found since the original Visonic MCT-340 (=high WAF), battery lasts forever, and for me they are completely reliable. But...Aqara doesn't play nicely on all hubs, so that's a bit too much of a caveat to nominate it.

Geeze, Zooz are leading the charge in terms of staying on top the next gen chips and features.

I've had a good experience with the Ring contact sensors. Batteries are still at 100% after at least 3 years.

2 Likes

any contact sensor with temperature sensor ?
I like the original Smartthings COntact Sensor but having issues with it on C8 hub.
SO looking for an alternative...

I have moved your post to this topic. If you read the instructions in the first post of the topic you originally posted in, you will see that it is intended for nominations only and not discussion, with discussion being linked to for here instead:

As for the actual question, many contact sensors these days have a built-in temperature sensor. This includes some of the nominated products, including at least the Iris and Xfinity models. But I also haven't heard of problems with the ST sensor on the C-8. You may want to make a separate topic about your particular problems, since if you're dealing with a larger Zigbee network problem, it may come back regardless of what contact sensor you use.

Beyond some mentioned there, the Centralite 3323-G (3-series door/window sensor) does temperature and is made by the same OEM as the (nominated) Iris v2 sensor that has long been discontinued. I might also suggest the current-generation SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor, but it normally costs more and doesn't sound like you'd use any of the other features it offers.

Zooz ZSE41 open/close sensor

Moved the above post here since it had already been nominated.

1 Like

First, you have to note which version you are referring to.

Mine are all v2 (2016) and have been retired from active use because of poor battery life with CR2450s. I was getting 9-14 months battery life in a location where the door was opened about once a month.

The newer v3 ones (now branded Aeotec) still use the same batteries.

And I don't generally need vibration and tilt in a contact sensor, so why pay for that extra cost?

1 Like

I have a mix of v2 and v3, but mine all last over a year on one CR2450 battery without any issue. How long do your other contact sensors last? I do wish I could find decent rechargeable 2450 batteries.

I bought my sensors at £20 in sales, so ok value I think even if I only use them for contact and temperature. But I find the vibration pretty useful as I use it as an alert for if someone is tampering with my sash windows or doors, or if someone is knocking on the door. I dont have a tilting garage door, so have only used the tilt on my letter box flap, which works fine.

1 Like

I have retired all versions of SmartThings multipurpose sensors because of battery life as well. Not terrible but not good either.

1 Like

The V5 (now Aeotec) must be very sensitive to mesh strength or temperature fluctuation or something. I have one (V4) that’s been on my front door since 2018 and has only required 3 battery changes. I have another (V5) that might go a year when it was mounted on my closet door, but since ditching MyQ and moving it to use on the garage door it only lasts a few months. I tried a Zooz sensor in the same spot and it only lasted a week before the battery died, so I’m hesitant to replace the V5.

2 Likes

I have dozens of the Iris v2 contract sensors and disposable CR2 batteries last over 3 years. I installed 50 of them in May 2020 and I'm just now replacing those batteries! I'm putting rechargeable CR2s in them now, and those last 1.5 to 2 years.

I looked at some rechargeable CR2450s, and didn't find them compelling at all. External double AAA battery boxes are probably a better (albeit large and ugly) solution.

2 Likes

I have switched exclusively to aqara door contacts as unpopular as that may be. They have always been rock solid for me so I recently standardized to them for all exterior and interior doors.

Reliability,cost,size and battery life is insane (in a good way lol)

3 years is great, I havent seen any Iris sensors here in the UK. Which rechargeable CR2 are you using? I'm trying out some LiFePO4 300mhA Soshine CR2 at the moment, but have only had them 3 months, so too early to tell how long they will last.

EBL 400mAH.

The 3rd Amazon link I gave above is still in stock (but it includes a charger).

They are currently sold out on the EBL site CR2 Battery - EBLOfficial

1 Like