Coffee makers that work with smart plugs?

I use a ridiculously priced Alfi thermal carafe with a paper cone filter, preferably unbleached. Locally roasted beans purchased at the farmer's market ground fresh with a burr grinder, and an equally ridiculously priced Williams Sonoma kettle to heat my (filtered) water. I pour enough to wet the grounds and then pour the rest, all by hand. I use light cream (never half-and-half) from a local dairy and I cry before I taste the first cup.

No, it's too smart, it has it's own timer built-in. But that's really of little use if you want to freshly grind the beans.

I am starting to visualize a really good Rube Goldberg automatic coffee maker . . .

Time for some Arduino expermientation?

@brad5

You are far and away more dedicated to the craft of coffee making than I am, and that is saying a LOT. The only steps I didn't see in there is growing your own beans on your own land, and roasting your own beans.

@frmWink2Hubitat

Okay dumb thought. Have you seen one of those I think they are called a Useless box that has a switch. You throw a switch, a lid opens up, and a lever pops out and pushes the switch off and then retracts / closes the lid?

Well, you would rig a simple button pusher set up to manually push the desired brew button if you were truly that motivated...

I want to use this but I’m not sure the ninja can be set up for 1 touch SwitchBot Bot - The Iconic Button Presser

Not enough land or time. Roasting my own beans I have considered but I have to draw the line somewhere.

1 Like

You're welcome.

That's okay, but would end up covering most of the controls should you actually want to push a different button.

depending on the position of the on/off switch, could use a switchbot and SwitchBot gets an open API!

This still requires the "cloud" to function right? Otherwise integration with Homebridge is cool!

edit: nvmnd got my answer reading the api thread that @dadarkgtprince posted..

Yup, still cloud

1 Like

I grind beans the night before and load up a utterly dumb drip coffee pot which is plugged into an Ikea TRÅDFRI, mainly because it will automagically turn OFF the coffee pot, but I do have a short video to inspire those of you with more demanding requirements:

2 Likes

I ordered this on Amazon recently and I’ve been impressed overall:

I agree that if integration with Hubitat is important so you can use a trigger of your choice rather than the built-in timer many coffee machines come with, you’re probably pretty limited to a really dumb coffee maker that will start brewing as soon as a smart switch is triggered on, or perhaps a nicer one that meets your needs and has an on button that could fit a switchbot over it.

2 Likes