Coffee makers that work with smart plugs?

So what I am getting at, and I may be wrong, but if you want a GOOD cup of coffee on a frequently shifting schedule, get something like the Ninja, and just push the brew button before you head to the bathroom, and it will be waiting for you when you get out. It won't be super convenient.

If you want a convenient cup of coffee triggered by an automation at whatever times you dream up, get a basic brewer and a smart plug, the resulting coffee will be pretty ordinary though...

I am admittedly a bit of a coffee afficianado. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest with the coffee scene that spawned Starbucks, Dutch Brothers, and Seattles Best... This is an area where I feel there is a bit of craft to it. And if it weren't for me trying to get a move on in the morning a bit faster, I would do my grind in the AM...

Not sure, my wife does it. She has some little canister she puts them into that sucks the air out when you close the lid to keep it fresh. She doesn't grind every night, but maybe once a week? Not sure. But it always tastes good to me.

The Oxo has a nice thermal carafe and a spray head to wet the grounds before brewing. Mine doesn't have any integrated grinding - I don't know if they have a higher end model that might include that. I would be afraid it would be a poor grinder.

Hmmm can I get away with pushing one button on the ninja? Switchbot maybe?

But will it work with a smart plug?

I use a ridiculously priced Alfi thermal carafe with a paper cone filter, preferably unbleached. Locally roasted beans purchased at the farmer's market ground fresh with a burr grinder, and an equally ridiculously priced Williams Sonoma kettle to heat my (filtered) water. I pour enough to wet the grounds and then pour the rest, all by hand. I use light cream (never half-and-half) from a local dairy and I cry before I taste the first cup.

No, it's too smart, it has it's own timer built-in. But that's really of little use if you want to freshly grind the beans.

I am starting to visualize a really good Rube Goldberg automatic coffee maker . . .

Time for some Arduino expermientation?

@brad5

You are far and away more dedicated to the craft of coffee making than I am, and that is saying a LOT. The only steps I didn't see in there is growing your own beans on your own land, and roasting your own beans.

@frmWink2Hubitat

Okay dumb thought. Have you seen one of those I think they are called a Useless box that has a switch. You throw a switch, a lid opens up, and a lever pops out and pushes the switch off and then retracts / closes the lid?

Well, you would rig a simple button pusher set up to manually push the desired brew button if you were truly that motivated...

I want to use this but I’m not sure the ninja can be set up for 1 touch SwitchBot Bot - The Iconic Button Presser

Not enough land or time. Roasting my own beans I have considered but I have to draw the line somewhere.

1 Like

You're welcome.

That's okay, but would end up covering most of the controls should you actually want to push a different button.

depending on the position of the on/off switch, could use a switchbot and SwitchBot gets an open API!

This still requires the "cloud" to function right? Otherwise integration with Homebridge is cool!

edit: nvmnd got my answer reading the api thread that @dadarkgtprince posted..

Yup, still cloud

1 Like

I grind beans the night before and load up a utterly dumb drip coffee pot which is plugged into an Ikea TRÅDFRI, mainly because it will automagically turn OFF the coffee pot, but I do have a short video to inspire those of you with more demanding requirements:

2 Likes

I ordered this on Amazon recently and I’ve been impressed overall:

I agree that if integration with Hubitat is important so you can use a trigger of your choice rather than the built-in timer many coffee machines come with, you’re probably pretty limited to a really dumb coffee maker that will start brewing as soon as a smart switch is triggered on, or perhaps a nicer one that meets your needs and has an on button that could fit a switchbot over it.

2 Likes