Coding with the Community — Episode 1

Hey everyone!

I’ve been playing around with the idea of doing something like Patrick’s Live-Code Friday event for quite a while. I’d talked quite a bit with Patrick back when Hubitat Live first started, and did a bit of minor behind-the-scenes work during the early episodes.

With that, I’ve still wanted to do a coding-focused live-stream, and am planning at noon, this Saturday (Central Time).

We got about 4-6” of snow in spots here in North Dakota, so I’m definitely not going out! It’ll be perfect.

What’s the topic?
I’ll be laying the foundation for a U.S. National Weather Service driver, as discussed here. That way, when everyone needs somewhere to go from DarkSky, we’ll have another choice!

I’ll be happy to answer questions (that I’m able to), get community input, etc, during the live stream :slight_smile:

Where can I watch?

29 Likes

I think that this is a good idea and I learn a lot from when patrick started this on Hubitat. I will
be there thanks.

2 Likes

Great idea !

Right off the bat ... is there anything here that you'd all like to see a segment on? I was thinking about going over setting up a primer driver (or possibly app) that goes over the basics of getting one of those off the ground.

1 Like

Yep, that would be great as I'm just starting with this

2 Likes

I love this idea Adam. Thanks for putting in the effort and sharing your expertise.

I'm an old DOS guy and I still like to have information stored in a text file on my PC.

With that in mind I would love to be able to write selected information to a DOS text file. Perhaps saving "write to log" entries from rule machine. I used to accomplish this quite easily on my Homeseer system with a simple script. I have not looked into programming in groovy. Would this be a large task to write something like this?

I'll be watching Saturday eventing. Thanks again.

1 Like

You and me both!

4 Likes

I think there are quite a few of us dusty old geezers on here. :grinning:

2 Likes

Nods.

2 Likes

i remember DOS, so I'm officially a Geezer, yahoo :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I hate to admit it but I've never done this before. How/where do I connect to the event? Do I need my webcam if I want to speak up?

Nice idea. Will try to join, or will checkout the recording. But boo! I don't live in the USA so the final product isn't of much use to me!

I’ll look into WorldWeather’s API!

2 Likes

For all the Geezers... maybe I will have to grab my DOS machine and have it as a set piece :wink:

3 Likes

Count me in the geezer group. First pc was IBM model 25 with a 20mb hard drive ...640k memory....No mouse only keyboard. DosShell was the closest thing I could get to Windows. But I got that puppy to play Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest, Police Quest etc, etc.

3 Likes

Funny thing - the Model 25 was one of the few PS/2 computers that still used an AT bus and not MCA (microchannel architecture). Also, it was an 8086 (if memory serves me right).

2 Likes

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX-81, which was released back in 1981...

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=263&st=1

4 Likes

Yup 8086. I remember when a friend of mine got a 486 with mind blowing 400mb hard drive and I thought to myself, How could anyone use 400mb of space? I would save the progress of my Quest games to floppy and play them at his house so that it didnt take me 5 years to complete (it took ~15 seconds to load every new screen...painfully fun times).

1 Like

Mine too!!! With a casette recorder!

2 Likes

Where did you grow up? I don't know many Americans (in my age group) who are aware of the Sinclair computers.